All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to quetwo

Premium Member

to quetwo

Re: Windows 8, and So It Begins - Revolutionary vs. evolutionary

You can disable indexing of certain file types. I would investigate that if search isn't working for you. I find it very accurate and very helpful.

I do agree about the network stack, but I'm not so sure this doesn't have to do with drivers also. My laptop (the one I constantly putz with network settings on) behaves completely different based on the driver version that I use. Each time I update it, a new issue is introduced and the old issue seems to be resolved. As far as the firewall, I think that's a better safe than sorry approach. If it didn't reset to the most stringent, the howls from the regulars in this forum would be loud indeed.

quetwo
That VoIP Guy
Premium Member
join:2004-09-04
East Lansing, MI

quetwo

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

You can disable indexing of certain file types. I would investigate that if search isn't working for you. I find it very accurate and very helpful.
The problem with disabling certain file types (or for example, email), is they are disabled globally. Search for email won't work in Outlook (where it should work). If I disable the "help" filetype, then it will never show up anywhere, which is not what i'm looking for -- I simply want to disable it from showing up in the start menu search.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by quetwo:

said by Matt3:

The problem with disabling certain file types (or for example, email), is they are disabled globally. Search for email won't work in Outlook (where it should work). If I disable the "help" filetype, then it will never show up anywhere, which is not what i'm looking for -- I simply want to disable it from showing up in the start menu search.
You can somewhat control where the Start Menu searches. I'm guessing you're seeing help files show up that should since they are included in one of the two categories. I understand that you would like more fine grained control over specific file types (and I would urge you to submit that as a suggestion) but at the same time, I think you may be in the minority on that one.