share rss forum feed

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
reply to Link Logger

Re: It's a "feature" trading time

I did make a list of what I thought was innovative in OS design, but it depressed me since it all happened in the 1960s and 1970s.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3
said by dave:

I did make a list of what I thought was innovative in OS design, but it depressed me since it all happened in the 1960s and 1970s.
Ya its depressing, but its how things work. Innovation is a beautiful thing and races along building on the work already done (Albert Einstein and Issac Newton both said 'If I have seen further than others, it is because I have stood on the shoulders of giants'), making great strides until someone invites Joe Public to get involved and then innovation slows down as the strides become shorter. Success can be a curse and for as far as computers are concerned success has been a curse for innovation as the user base has so much inherent inertia that change can't happen as fast as it used to. Now innovation is still happening but it really appears at 'build a better mouse trap' speed which is how most innovation occurs in any 'post consumer' technology, but most people can't see it and hence claim it no longer exists, but it does, you just have to look at the small steps as they still as innovation, just not the bombshells that were possible when things were just starting.

Blake
--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
What I've found depressing is - since S.B. took the leading role I start missing useful functions that were simply removed from the new versions of products. Just one example - toolbar customization in IE6 that was removed from IE7 - was already mentioned in my first post.

I don't remember examples of removed obviously useful functionality from products when B.G. was leading the company though. That's why I think now it's a different time - with new versions they simply start shuffle functions around and offering just a different subset of them (removing at the same time others) as a new version of product. As Z80 See Profile has said - it's a change in a sake of a change and almost nothing more than that...
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...