uniqs
share rss forum feed

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

Wireless coverage indoors always a problem

This is hardly surprising. Wireless coverage indoors, whether 2G; 3g; outdoor WiFi; or Wimax is and always will be a problem at legally permitted transmit powers. Solutions are femtocells; external antennas(like many fixed wireless providers use); and stronger &/or many more transmitters.

Femtocells are probably the cheapest most reliable solution, but that assumes you have landline broadband in the house. Which sort of defeats the point of 4G Wimax(and later LTE), which will be sold as a landline replacements.

So, I guess external antennas may be the only way to sell Wimax( & later LTE) as reliable landline replacements for residential use.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2

Femtocells may not be the solution, but indoor-mounted picocells could be.

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to FFH

As pointed out in this thread »Clear vs. Energy Efficient Windows (Motorola Modem) the solution is an enclosed modem with PoE.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

said by Automate:

As pointed out in this thread »Clear vs. Energy Efficient Windows (Motorola Modem) the solution is an enclosed modem with PoE.
Of course, ALL of the potential solutions add additional cost. The laptop would have a built-in or a USB Wimax/WiFi device for mobile access. But if you want to also use Wimax in many apartments at home you will need an external modem or antenna, etc. as well.
--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

Nerdtalker
Working Hard, Or Hardly Working?
Premium,MVM
join:2003-02-18
Tucson, AZ
reply to FFH

That, and the solution is to use materials that *gasp* don't have ridiculously high absorption in spectra that are also becoming increasingly important for communication.

This seems to be a growing trend. Look at California: "Oh hey, we can reduce the temperature in cars by a degree centigrade by adding what amounts to metal to the coating"

Oh hey guys, it also happens that you're literally creating a faraday cage *and* a polarizer for wavelengths used for cellular coverage.
--
"Some people never see the light till it shines thru bullet holes." -Bruce Cockburn

I'm testing Gmail's spam filters: Broadbandreports1@gmail.com
Spam: 12900+ messages currently using 406 MB.

RedDelicious

@sbcglobal.net

said by Nerdtalker:

you're literally creating a faraday cage *and* a polarizer for wavelengths used for cellular coverage.
That's a great way to get people to quit texting and yapping and pay attention to driving. It's brilliant!

Kearnstd
Elf Wizard
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Nerdtalker

well the optimal solution is repeaters inside the buildings linked to rooftop antenna. the coatings used where designed for optimal energy efficiency.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

Rogue Wolf
Comes With Soup and Your Choice of Sides

join:2003-08-12
Troy, NY
reply to FFH

The question would then be cost and ease of installation. I can't imagine this requiring a mini satellite dish like DirecTV and its ilk require- woudn't a simple clamp-on stick antenna on an outside windowpane suffice?
--
Hexadecimal humor really turns me 0FF.