how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

vlad1000

join:2005-05-19
Brooklyn, NY

what i don't like about clear is their lack of know how

WHY IN THE WORLD DOES THE CLEARSPOT DEVICE LACK AN ETHERNET PORT FOR HOME NETWORK???? INCOMPETENCY? I THINK SO...

springman

join:2009-11-07
The reason you don't have an ethernet port, is because it is a mechanism to make sure you pay per user.. they don't want you sharing with your home network because their system cannot handle the load they've got already.. Additionally, it has always been their model to sell EVERY INDIVIDUAL a card or device so they get a subscription from everyone.. Remember, they did spawn out of Sprint, so the handheld device / making every human being a subscriber is what they are all about...

Having deployed a dozen Wimax systems and now an LTE system, I can say that LTE vendors are going the extra step to ensure that you can share effectively with all the devices in your home.

We have a 1st gen 700mhz subscriber station that totes a built in WIFI router on the way to make sure the customers get the same level of capabilities as if they had a cable or dsl circuit..

At any rate, Clearwire is not a bad company, they have just been sold by some snake oil salesmen that swear they have a "30Mb at 30Mile NLOS" system..

You know, that "magic broadband wand" that you just waive in the air and POOF, everybody's got internet..

Lulz...

hottboiinnc
ME

join:2003-10-15
Cleveland, OH
well wait to see what LTE has to offer when it decides to come out of the labs next year.

MooJohn

join:2005-12-18
Milledgeville, GA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Windstream
reply to springman
Umm, you do realize that the Motorola home device does have ethernet -- in fact, that's the only connection it has other than power. You're free to put any wireless router you want behind it and use all the devices you want. I prefer the freedom of choosing networking components rather than being stuck with an all-in-one.

Whether it's WiMax or LTE is irrelevant. At this moment you can subscribe to service with one while the other delivers only promises.
--
John M - Cranky network guy

awbishop

join:2004-08-26
Chicago, IL
reply to vlad1000
Actually that is NOT correct. The Motorola WiMax modem does have an ethernet port and works quite well on a home network.