Fairfield, CA

2 edits

PrntRhd to Gemstone

Premium Member

to Gemstone

Re: Sloshing sound in dashboard?

Here is link to where it is on a 2006:
»wiki.answers.com/Q/Where ··· _spectra
"The drain hose is located under the dash to the left of the glovebox. Remove the two or three screws that hold the extended console trim in place. You may have to pull the carpet back some. Remove or pull the trim back so you can reach your hand behind it. If you cannot see the drain hose feel for it on the floor. If you need to replace pull the drain from the floor and loosen the clamp attaching it to the condenser. Often times if you squeeze the drain hose in several places the blockage will clear itself and continue to work fine for years. Try the squeezing method while the ac is running or just after shutting ac and car off. This way you'll also have the force of the backed up water to help force out any blockage "

There is another reference to where the dealer missed removing a cap on the drain.
»www.blurtit.com/q9218387.html

Gemstone
Premium Member
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

Gemstone

Premium Member

OK, good information... I will be crawling under the dashboard tomorrow anyway so I will check this out...

I'm also replacing the cabin air filter, so I'll be inside the dash, behind the glovebox for this... I figured out how to get the filter out and it's really nasty and dirty!! The dealer wants $70 to change a cabin air filter!!... I paid $8 for a new one at Autozone and it will take about 5 minutes to change...
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

Just remember if you pull that hose loose from the condenser area it will leak all over the floor/carpet unless you have something to catch the water.

Gemstone
Premium Member
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

1 recommendation

Gemstone

Premium Member

said by PrntRhd:

Just remember if you pull that hose loose from the condenser area it will leak all over the floor/carpet unless you have something to catch the water.
Yes... I don't plan on pulling the hose off... I'll first try squeezing it to loosen the dirt... If that doesn't work I'll try to carefully push a wire up the hose from under the car to clear it out... Last resort is to pull the hose off...
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2

"I took it back to the Kia dealer and they bled the cooling system... The sloshing noise seemed to go away for a few days but I think I hear it again... Any other ideas as to what this might be??"

My money is on the original dealer diagnosis. There is air in the cooling system. Some air was either left in after the original bleed or air is entering the cooling system.
severach
join:2002-09-12
Jackson, MI

1 edit

severach

Unless it's something terribly simple like a bad coolant cap, the only ways I know for air to enter the cooling system is with a failed head gasket or a cracked head. Are there bubbles in the coolant recovery tank?

Now would be a good time to check those warranty papers.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Any coolant leak will allow air to enter the cooling system.

After the engine is shut off, as the cooling system and engine cools, the air enters through the radiator cap (normal characteristic of cap operation) once all the fluid in the reservoir has been drawn in.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to PrntRhd

Premium Member

to PrntRhd
said by PrntRhd:

very good thing to remember!