spc
uniqs

Mike200015
@rogers.com

Mike200015 to Hwnsista

Anon

to Hwnsista

Re: [Scam] Ebay Motors Scam

I found a good car deal on AutoTrader, and got a similar email about moving overseas to the U.K. and the car is being held by eBay in their warehouse. I am not sure 100% if it is a scam, but looks very similar to the ones I've been reading here. What do you guys think of this?

Email is as follows:
"
If you are interested in it you should know that it has never been wrecked or damaged, the car is in excellent condition. To get more photos and description please access this URL »www.pixagogo.com/... . The total price that I’m asking including shipping and insurance fees will be $2,500.00CDN. The car is absolutely perfect, it has a clear title, has never been repaired, never been involved in any type of accident or had any paint or body work done! I moved to England, United Kingdom due to my work, where European specs are different from the Canadian ones and it costs me too much driving it legally here and also there is nobody interested in buying it here that’s why I am selling so cheap hoping to find a buyer since the car is located in Canada. If you are still interested please let me know and i will provide you more information about the payment and shipping. "

And the follow-up email was:

"The current location of the vehicle is British Columbia, Canada under ebay's custody ready to be delivered to the buyer!I have a verry easy way of making the exchange i will explain everything:
Ebay is supervising the entire sale process from payment, transportation with a 14-day inspection period included, returns (if needed, no extra costs here) and refunding. The car is in their warehouse in Vancouver, B.C. ready for delivery. I can provide free transportation to any location in Canada in maximum 4 days! Before that you have to make the payment up front to ebay the full amount. You will also receive all the documents, title with my signature on the back for a quick ownership exchange, all manuals and 3 sets of keys. If you are really interested in this deal I need the following details from you: full name, address for delivery, phone number.
Once i get the details from you I will forward them to ebay and they will proceed the order. Ebay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that i am covered by them and that I am legit seller."

I am really suspicious of this, but cannot be sure.

Mike

nwrickert
Mod
join:2004-09-04
Geneva, IL

nwrickert

Mod

It's a scam, for sure.

The reference to eBay is pretty clear evidence of this. It is clear eBay policy, that everything in the sale be done through the eBay site, and not privately. So this is a scammer trying to make it sound as if eBay is involved, when there is no actual eBay involvement.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

Doctor Olds to Mike200015

Premium Member

to Mike200015
said by Mike200015 :

I found a good car deal on AutoTrader, and got a similar email about moving overseas to the U.K. and the car is being held by eBay in their warehouse. I am not sure 100% if it is a scam, but looks very similar to the ones I've been reading here. What do you guys think of this?

Email is as follows:
"
Once i get the details from you I will forward them to ebay and they will proceed the order. Ebay will contact you with all the details that you need to complete this deal and also to see that i am covered by them and that I am legit seller."

I am really suspicious of this, but cannot be sure.
It is 100% a SCAM.

1] Ebay does *not* have a warehouse that they store vehicles in for sellers or buyers aka customers.

2] For eBay to be involved in the sale part, you *must* have a eBay Account and you must select then purchase the vehicle from one of the listings at »www.motors.ebay.com and no where else. You do not give your private information direct to a stranger claiming to be a seller, you place your buy order through the eBay Motors web site using either an auction, Buy It Now, or Best Offer and they then notify the owner that you have purchased the vehicle. eBay then gives all your info that is required for the seller to contact you and make arraignments.

3] eBay tells you to *NEVER* pay with Western Union or Money Gram. Neither of those offer any form of escrow, the money is GONE as soon as it is picked up and you have no recourse.

4] All official email through eBay or from eBay will also be seen in your eBay Mailbox/Messages when you sign into eBay under your eBay account.

Read up on eBay as they tell you what is required and what is a scam.

»www.motors.ebay.con/

eBay Motors > Buy > Vehicle Purchase Protection
»pages.ebay.com/ebaymotor ··· tection/
quote:
Eligibility Requirements

Participation in the VPP program is subject to the following eligibility requirements:

You have successfully completed the purchase of a vehicle* priced at more than $100 from one of the following categories on the eBay Site:

[snip eBay catagories]

Note:
* You will be deemed to have successfully completed the purchase if you receive confirmation in your "My eBay" that you have successfully won, or purchased, an item through an auction, Buy It Now, or Best Offer.
Craigslist Scams and Fraudulent Use of Vehicle Purchase Protection
»forums.ebay.com/db1/topi ··· 10078002

Also read: »[Scam] Ebay's Motor Vehicle Protection Program (VPP)