Hypnotoad

join:2001-11-28
Ex Ohioan
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

Should I flush my 2002 Ford Explorer Transmission

Hello all,

Need your opinion. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 4.0 L engine, and took it in today for the recall work. The ford dealer recommended that I flush the transmission. I am confused since the manual states that it is a sealed transmission and does not ever need service. I have 57,000 miles and the transmission is fine. I don't usually do heavy towing, except for the past month when I started towing my new boat, around 2300 lbs.

The dealer told me that they can hook up to the transmission cooler lines and flush it and then fill it. They told me this service is $169 plus taxes. Seems a little high.

Appreciate the suggestions if this is something that I need to do.

McSummation
Mmmm, Zeebas Are Tastee.
Premium,MVM
join:2003-08-13
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:2

said by Toadman:

The dealer told me that they can hook up to the transmission cooler lines and flush it and then fill it. They told me this service is $169 plus taxes. Seems a little high.
Sounds like a "high profit" service.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to Toadman

What was the recall for?

StNickless

@tmodns.net
reply to Toadman

quote:

Not only no, but F*** no.
I have seen way more problems arise from tranny flushes than I have ever seen positive things.
That tranny isn't the strongest to start out with....don't push it into the grave with needless good intentions.

A simple drain and fill with a new filter will maybe not change all the fluid, but it also won't force sludge up into the valve body and electric switching valves.

Toadman
Hypnotoad

Ex Ohioan
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to sailor

said by sailor:

What was the recall for?
Recal 09S09 - Speed control deactivation switch - may leak break fluid, posing a risk of a fire. This condition may occur either when the vehicle is parked or when it is being operated.

My favorite -- " Until you have the recall service performed, park your vehicle outdoors away from structures to prevent a potential fire from spreading".

Toadman
Hypnotoad

Ex Ohioan
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to StNickless

said by StNickless :

quote:

Not only no, but F*** no.
I have seen way more problems arise from tranny flushes than I have ever seen positive things.
That tranny isn't the strongest to start out with....don't push it into the grave with needless good intentions.

A simple drain and fill with a new filter will maybe not change all the fluid, but it also won't force sludge up into the valve body and electric switching valves.
Thanks for the feedback. I have read in other ford explorer and ford forums that the 02-05 trannies are not the greatest. It never was a very smooth shifter from when I got her at 31,000 miles, but it has not changed either. I also don't have the telltale sign of a hard or missed shift from second to third.

I am also making sure to tow with overdrive off.

sailor
Premium
join:2003-10-21
Long Island
kudos:6
reply to Toadman

I then would inform the dealer..."Thanks but no thanks"

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Toadman

While I think the "does not ever need service" is a bit overly optimistic, a flush at 57k isn't warranted either. I'd say you can wait until 100 - 120k, and then do a regular oil change. (drain tranny and TC)
--
And the winner is:

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH
reply to Toadman

said by Toadman:

Hello all,

Need your opinion. I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT 4X4 with the 4.0 L engine, and took it in today for the recall work. The ford dealer recommended that I flush the transmission. I am confused since the manual states that it is a sealed transmission and does not ever need service. I have 57,000 miles and the transmission is fine. I don't usually do heavy towing, except for the past month when I started towing my new boat, around 2300 lbs.

Appreciate the suggestions if this is something that I need to do.
The fluid will need changed, not flushed, around 75K miles or so.
--
Buckeye Stangs - Ohio Mustang Club

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink

2 edits
reply to Toadman

Just to add a data point for you, we bought a '91 GMC S-Jimmy new in 1992. A friend that had been in the trans business for 25 years told me that if I wanted the 700R4 trans in it to last that I should never change the fluid. So for the last 17 years I've been doing my own transmission life experiment. The truck now has 190K miles on it and is still running the trans fluid that it left the factory with. I did order the truck with the heavy duty cooling option, which included an oversize trans cooler in the radiator. Other than that, it's been used and abused in all kinds of terrain and weather. 4-Wheeling in Colorado, dragging trailers in Florida and dealing with 110+ degree traffic in Texas. It's gotta be some kind of record for a 700R4.

cowspotter

join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA
kudos:2
reply to Toadman

I think the dealership is also using "flush" when they may only be doing a fluid change. A power flush is what is bad, when a machine is used to forcefully pump fluid in and out of the transmission. The machine that is hooked up to the transmission lines and allows the internal transmission pump to move the fluid into the machine while the machine supplies new fluid at low pressure back to the transmission should be fine.

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA
reply to HarryH3

I did tow a friend's car home who did the same thing -- the ATF in the tranny was pitch black and had a consistency of 20w50. I think that car was around 200k.
--
And the winner is:

Toadman
Hypnotoad

Ex Ohioan
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

Thanks for all of the feedback and opinions. It seems that the jury is out as to if I should change the transmission oil or not. The good news is I have some time to think about it. It seems no-one thinks at 57,000 miles it needs to be done right now. With only putting 3,000 - 4,000 miles on the truck a year, it seems I have some time to decide what I need to do, and worry about other things, such as salt!

aurgathor

Lynnwood, WA

You shouldn't just go by mileage itself -- if the fluid looks too dark or smells funny, then you may need to change it regardless of mileage.
--
And the winner is: