how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

valvoj

join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY

Electric baseboard or infrared heater?

First year in my split level house. The house use to have electric baseboard heat and they replaced it with a gas furnace. One of the rooms still had the baseboard heater. I found that duct work can't be run to the room due to its location. The room is going to be a nursery/child's room. I'm not a fan of using electric heat at all especially a baseboard heater (not able to turn off on its own, hot to the touch). I was looking at options to heat the room and 1 heating company suggested using an EdenPure infrared heater. Does anyone have experience with these? They look like a good choice (don't catch on fire, won't burn you if you touch it,built-in thermostat, low electric use). Other ideas or recommend sticking with the baseboard heater?

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12

Take the cheap route and put a thermostat on the baseboard heater. It should have shields that keep it from being hot enough to burn. If not, chuck and get a new one. They are fairly cheap.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to valvoj

said by valvoj:

EdenPure infrared heater. Does anyone have experience with these? They look like a good choice (don't catch on fire, won't burn you if you touch it,built-in thermostat, low electric use). Other ideas or recommend sticking with the baseboard heater?
That EdenPure site is filled with bogus or fact stretching info. That being said, I'm sure it heats the room. What size heater do you have now?

Another choice would be one of these »www.cadetco.com/show_product.php?prodid=1010 They don't get as hot and the traditional BB heater.
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"Children will not remember you for the material things you provided, but for the feeling that you cherished them." - Richard Evans

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Cogeco Cable

1 recommendation

reply to valvoj

Consumer reports finds Edenpure's claims dubious:
»blogs.consumerreports.org/home/2···ter.html
--
Striving for Parfection.

bewhole
I Am Here
Premium
join:2000-08-08
East Waterboro, ME
kudos:1
reply to valvoj

Well myself I own a gen 1 and a gen 2 EdenPure heaters and my parents own a gen 3. Gen 1 heaters work allright but the thermostat is not the best 2 and 3 are the best. As far as safety I have not had one overheat or get hot to the touch(unless you poke your fingers in the front grill).I have a 500 and a 1000 and they do not use that much extra power to use(I'm cheap $30 to $40 a month) light bills and using both for 5 to 6 hrs a day puts the bill up to around $50 so about $10 extra a month in the winter(Depending on what you pay for for power).Saves a lot of oil in the winter. so yes it will heat the room(I heat the whole house ie: Trailer 60ft with them)
Oh and no I do not have any stake in the company

ps: the temp I set at is 62
--
I dream of a better world, where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned...

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to valvoj

said by valvoj:

The room is going to be a nursery/child's room. I'm not a fan of using electric heat at all especially a baseboard heater (not able to turn off on its own, hot to the touch). I was looking at options to heat the room and 1 heating company suggested using an EdenPure infrared heater. Does anyone have experience with these? They look like a good choice (don't catch on fire, won't burn you if you touch it,built-in thermostat, low electric use). Other ideas or recommend sticking with the baseboard heater?
How on earth is that an infrared heater? Looks like forced air to me. Remember your a 100 watt infrared heater too.

Since kids will be in the room, they could throw or stick alot of things into the baseboard heaters. Some real infrared heaters would be inaccessible to the kids, assuming your ceiling is high enough. Infrared heaters are also good because they heat objects through radiation, not heat air.

»www.markel-products.com/01-MenuS···Page.htm
»www.qmarkmep.com/develop/Product···RDBD.htm

Consumer plug in space heaters are all the same. 1500 watts, 120v 15 amp plug. An infomercial can't overcome thermodynamics. If you want to make a distinction among the 1500 watts, infrared is the best bang for 1500 watts but a severe high fire hazard if positioned wrong. Your existing baseboard heaters I hope use 208/240v, and anything you buy should use 208/240v.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to bewhole

said by bewhole:

Well myself I own a gen 1 and a gen 2 EdenPure heaters and my parents own a gen 3. Gen 1 heaters work allright but the thermostat is not the best 2 and 3 are the best. As far as safety I have not had one overheat or get hot to the touch(unless you poke your fingers in the front grill).I have a 500 and a 1000 and they do not use that much extra power to use(I'm cheap $30 to $40 a month) light bills and using both for 5 to 6 hrs a day puts the bill up to around $50 so about $10 extra a month in the winter(Depending on what you pay for for power).Saves a lot of oil in the winter. so yes it will heat the room(I heat the whole house ie: Trailer 60ft with them)
Oh and no I do not have any stake in the company

ps: the temp I set at is 62
I think the 62 temp is your answer to low power bills. As I alluded to and patcat88 See Profile came right out and said this is not an IR heater. The heating element may be lower temperature that the Glowing heater they show but "guess what" that heat you feel from the glowing eliments is IR.

It appears from the discription to be a forced air heater with the heat being supplied by a quartz heater. Nothing magic or new there. The lower temperature accounts for the more distributed heat. The same thing happens in the baseboard heaters I mentioned.

You may feel warmer with one heater over the other but they all use the same amount of power. The savings comes from lowering the thermostat. Placebo effect, maybe?
--
--
--
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." - Aldous Huxley

"Children will not remember you for the material things you provided, but for the feeling that you cherished them." - Richard Evans

valvoj

join:2002-01-23
Cicero, NY
reply to valvoj

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. It sounds like I should stick with the baseboard heater. It looks like the original baseboard from 20+ years ago so I'll definitely replace the heater and be sure it has a built in thermostat. At least I won't have to worry about the kid and cord with a space heater.