spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

ansky

Router/speed question

I have the 25/15 internet package. I did a speed test and noticed that my download speed is only about 16Mbps and my upload is about 12. Are there any settings I can adjust on my wireless card or modem that would allow me to get the 25/15 speed?

keyboards
join:2001-02-14
Doylestown, PA

keyboards

My first question would be whether you can get the correct speeds with an Ethernet cable? If you can, then the issue is the wireless connection.

If you can't, you need to run the Verizon optimizer application (have to use IE for the browser ) Can be found at »www2.verizon.net/help/fi ··· timizer/
ansky
join:2009-05-18
West Orange, NJ

1 edit

ansky

I'm getting the correct speeds when connected to an ethernet cable. How do I optimize wireless settings?
I spoke to Verizon tech support and they said it is typical to get slower wireless speeds than ethernet speeds, and that wireless speeds are not guaranteed.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by ansky:

I'm getting the correct speeds when connected to an ethernet cable. How do I optimize wireless settings?
Run the optimizer while connected to the Internet wirelessly.
I spoke to Verizon tech support and they said it is typical to get slower wireless speeds than ethernet speeds, and that wireless speeds are not guaranteed.
While it's possible to get full speeds wirelessly, it's reasonable that it's not guaranteed -- too many things can interfere with a wireless signal.

Anyhow, the only thing that is guaranteed is that you're provisioned correctly and even then...

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to ansky

MVM

to ansky
said by ansky:

Since it's a wireless issue, a few things to try:
•Try putting the router in a more central location (decrease the distance).
•Make sure you're not on a channel that is in use by your neighbors.
•Try replacing the antenna with a higher gain antenna.
•Certain devices such as microwaves and 2.4Ghz cordless phones can interfere with your signal.

What router are you using? The older Actiontecs (Rev A-C) were notorious for poor wireless.
•Try running a different wireless router.

There are also some good troubleshooting tips here:
»Wireless Networking Forum FAQ

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

said by More Fiber:

•Make sure you're not on a channel that is in use by your neighbors.
How do I do that? the OP might ask. Netstumbler is a great wireless diagnostic tool. »www.netstumbler.com/download

Forums related can be found at »www.netstumbler.org