This is a sub-selection from hmmm.....

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
reply to woody7

Re: hmmm.....

Normally I would agree with you 100% on this one.. however, some providers won't even let you sign up with your own phone with out a "contract".. and even then, these contracts are completely 1-sided agreements.. The providers have all of the control and can additionally terminate the contract ON you... however, you have no ability to terminate it on them for lack of performance.

Like I said, I'm usually the first one to tell people "don't buy it if you don't like or agree with it" or "don't sign the contract and pay full price" (which is THE smartest thing to do) but these days, it's WAY too over lopsided on the side of the providers which IS in fact wrong.

ual

@bellsouth.net
said by fiberguy:

Normally I would agree with you 100% on this one.. however, some providers won't even let you sign up with your own phone with out a "contract".. and even then, these contracts are completely 1-sided agreements.. The providers have all of the control and can additionally terminate the contract ON you... however, you have no ability to terminate it on them for lack of performance.

Like I said, I'm usually the first one to tell people "don't buy it if you don't like or agree with it" or "don't sign the contract and pay full price" (which is THE smartest thing to do) but these days, it's WAY too over lopsided on the side of the providers which IS in fact wrong.
There is a roundabout way you can terminate it for lack of performance. Simply call them whenever you experience the problem that is annoying you. Dropped call? Time to call customer service. Slow internet? Try calling support to ask if they're having a problem somewhere. Poor coverage? Try asking if they're having problems with the local towers.

You annoy them enough and they will invoke their right to drop you.

PhilAIV

join:2002-02-16
Carrollton, GA
reply to fiberguy
said by fiberguy:

some providers won't even let you sign up with your own phone with out a "contract"..
The company this senator is referring to (Verzion Wireless) does in fact allow people to sign up without a contract, but most people don't want to pay full retail for a phone or don't have one laying around therefore they sign a contract.

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
said by PhilAIV:

said by fiberguy:

some providers won't even let you sign up with your own phone with out a "contract"..
The company this senator is referring to (Verzion Wireless) does in fact allow people to sign up without a contract, but most people don't want to pay full retail for a phone
If the company will sell me the phone for "Full Price" or at a subsidized price with a contract, then the EFT should be no more than the difference between the two prices (since the EFT is supposed to cover the cost of the subsidy) AND the monthly reduction should be prorated based on the remaining contract term (ex: For a 2 year contract, 1/24th of the subsidy per month). Thus the subsidy should be fully paid up at the end of the contract based on the number of months and the monthly reduction. If Verizon wants to reduce the EFT $10 a month then the EFT should be $240. At $375, the monthly reduction should be $15.65/month. Also, what is the "Full Price" and 24 month "Contract Price" on the droid (ie: Is the difference $375) anyway?

moonpuppy

join:2000-08-21
Glen Burnie, MD
reply to PhilAIV
said by PhilAIV:

said by fiberguy:

The company this senator is referring to (Verizon Wireless) does in fact allow people to sign up without a contract, but most people don't want to pay full retail for a phone or don't have one laying around therefore they sign a contract.
But they sometimes disallow you from bringing your own phone to their network even if it was already on Verizon. Some stores take a dim view of allowing you to buy a phone off eBay and get service with them.

PhilAIV

join:2002-02-16
Carrollton, GA
said by moonpuppy:

said by PhilAIV:

said by fiberguy:

The company this senator is referring to (Verizon Wireless) does in fact allow people to sign up without a contract, but most people don't want to pay full retail for a phone or don't have one laying around therefore they sign a contract.
But they sometimes disallow you from bringing your own phone to their network even if it was already on Verizon. Some stores take a dim view of allowing you to buy a phone off eBay and get service with them.
The only time they are allowed to deny a vzw phone from being activated is if it was blacklisted (reported stolen / lost) or no longer support (no agps for 911). If someone is running into this problem, escalating the situation will allow a manager to take care of it.