share rss forum feed

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to JohnInSJ

Higher Speeds Force Some to Download More?

Excessive consumption...

Don't the higher service speeds themselves contribute to "excessive consumption"?

You are less likely to download that 2-3 GB 720p HD Movie on Comcast's 1 MB / 384 Kbps service tier than you are to download it on the 12 Mbps / 2 Mbps or 20 Mbps / 4 Mbps tiers.

As for the 50 Mbps / 10 Mbps tier... you're even more likely to download it....

Since the downloads take less time, you'll have a higher consumption...

Fact is, the cap is the same for all of the tiers.
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 edit
said by IPPlanMan:

Excessive consumption...

Don't the higher service speeds themselves contribute to "excessive consumption"?

Trying to follow your logic, it seems the "you" would have to be a person with a mission to fill time with downloading. That wouldn't be me. Regardless of the speed of my connection, I download only what I actually need. A faster connection just gets the job done faster, so I can get on with life.

But then the existence of cheesecake, which I do love, in abundance does not cause me to eat it in excess, either.

This is another re-hash, BTW.

said by IPPlanMan:

And yet another repetitive comment. Like it, buy it. If you don't, look for something more appealing to you.

Do you have something actually new to discuss in regard to bandwidth limits?
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .

WernerSchutz

join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

2 edits
said by sortofageek:

said by IPPlanMan:

Excessive consumption...

Trying to follow your logic, it seems the "you" would have to be a person with a mission to fill time with downloading. That wouldn't be me. Regardless of the speed of my connection, I download only what I actually need. A faster connection just gets the job done faster, so I can get on with life.

But then the existence of cheesecake, which I do love, in abundance does not cause me to eat it in excess, either.

said by IPPlanMan:

And yet another repetitive comment. Like it, buy it. If you don't, look for something more appealing to you.

I believe that having a superior tool enables one to do and accomplish more. The same way if one has a bigger and faster vehicle compared to a bicycle one would travel more or if one would have a bigger house one would purchase more furniture or have larger parties.

That is why one purchases a faster connection, to do more, not ONLY to do it in less time.

I have Comcast TV also and added a few channels I liked because I wanted to watch MORE of the programming I liked. As a result of this purchase, my consumption increased.

I have a cellular data plan because I wanted to use MORE internet access on the go, not only faster.

In this case, the increase in speed can be equated to an increase in EFFICIENCY. In any business oriented mindset, one would expect to accomplish MORE, not only faster. If in a board meeting I would present a device that would increase our efficiency but would expect the overall production to stay at a flat level, that would be unexpected. No, we would want to use the new tool at a stable good level, say 80%, and increase our output.

IPPlanMan
Holy Cable Modem Batman

join:2000-09-20
Washington, DC
kudos:1
reply to sortofageek
said by sortofageek:

If you had a bigger plate, you could (and many would) take more cake.

Speed means I'm actually going to download that HD Trailer or watch that HD Movie from iTunes/Netflix instead of thinking that it'll take too long.

Remember 56k modems? What was our consumption with those? It was probably pretty low, because none of us wanted to wait for a 60 MB trailer to download. If we were lucky, we'd download the smallest, lowest resolution file possible under the circumstances.

Higher speed connections have driven resolution/size and resolution/size drives higher speeds... hopefully...
--
"We're going to start at one end of (Fallujah), and we're not going to stop until we get to the other. If there's anybody left when that happens, we're going to turn around and we're going to go back and finish it."
Lt. Col. Pete Newell: 1st Inf. US Army

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23

1 recommendation

Please notice you have a link to this subtopic in the first post in this thread to this which has been driven into the ground a number of times.

Again, I am sorry you are not pleased with Comcast offerings and sincerely hope you find a service more to your liking.
--
Join Team Helix * I am praying for these friends .