Search similar:

uniqs

christcorp
Premium Member
join:2001-05-21
Cheyenne, WY

christcorp

Premium Member

[VOIPo.COM] Shhhhh So Quiet. VoipO, you out there?

Love it so much. Forums by nature are used to "Find Answers to Problems, questions, or concerns". Look around and see how quiet it is when mentioning VoipO. Late summer and fall is my busiest time going out of town. I don't get on the forums as much as I do in the late fall, winter, and spring. But when I look around recently and see so little written on VoipO; including the VoipO forum with (Concerns); I can't help but smile. You forget you even have Voip. It's a phone. Just like the POTS line you had for years before. Except a lot cheaper, more convenient, and a whole lot more extras. Thank you VoipO. Couldn't ask for a better provider.
dcm
join:2008-09-12
Pennsylvania

dcm

I'm surprised that there's been no mention of the new B1G1 offer.

»www.voipo.com/residential.shtml

$175 + $36 = $211 for the 1st year; 2nd year is free (I assume you will be billed for taxes and fees at the start of the 2nd year).
IanR
join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC

IanR to christcorp

to christcorp
Good plans.
I read good things about the service and Tim answers questions here.
Just waiting for the "unlimited" international plan:)

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

said by IanR:

Just waiting for the "unlimited" international plan
Don't hold your breath.
They are working on an updated billing system for the Express accounts, and soon rolling out a beta of the anticipated Reseller Program.

You never know what else though.
Is there really that big a market for a Residential World Plan?

I have no use for the 60 minutes/month of international calling they already added at no extra cost.

(Never been as satisfied with other providers as I am with VOIPo!)

McShaken
Premium Member
join:2006-02-20
Olympia, WA

McShaken to christcorp

Premium Member

to christcorp
Was hesitant to go with another small carrier after the whole Sunrocket fiasco... but decided to give VOIPo a shot. Glad I did... Few hiccups early on after I signed up, but I've been very happy with the service overall.

Kudos to the VOIPo crew!

montano
join:2001-04-29
Central Cali

montano to christcorp

to christcorp
I rarely post here anymore..... because of Voipo !! It simply works. Couldn't be happier with call quality, customer service, price, etc...
jay_rm
join:2002-04-12
Netville

jay_rm

said by montano:

I rarely post here anymore..... because of Voipo !! It simply works. Couldn't be happier with call quality, customer service, price, etc...
Likewise.
Except they don't seem to do the new Chicago area code yet. ("Error 6dash3" )
VOIPoJustin
join:2008-12-09
Houston, TX

1 recommendation

VOIPoJustin to christcorp

to christcorp
said by christcorp:

Shhhhh So Quiet. VoipO, you out there?
We are here!

burris
Premium Member
join:2000-08-22
Palm Beach Gardens, FL

burris to christcorp

Premium Member

to christcorp
I can't help but add to the accolades given to VOIPo.

Your description relating VOIPo to the functionality of POTS, for me, is right on. Just ask my wife.

The service and occasional support is far above any service I have ever experienced...including POTS.

Tim is really a man with a plan..

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: [VOIPo.COM] Shhhhh So Quiet. VoipO, you out there?

Actually I had just as good service before,
but it was my web host HostGator.com

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to christcorp

Premium Member

to christcorp

Yep, working good here too. I have to give kudos for the unsupported softphone option too. I have my main adapter in Florida where my wife is and I am running a Cisco 7960 to the BYOD server. It has been great being able to direct dial my home in Florida from the Cisco phone.

Also nice having direct access to voicemails and incoming call to my Cisco when I know the wife is out of the house.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to christcorp

Premium Member

to christcorp
Their Fax service works well for me.

Very pleased for $ 36 a year.
bgraham2
join:2001-03-15
Smithtown, NY

bgraham2 to christcorp

to christcorp

I was one of the lucky ones.

I switched 2 lines from Voicewing to VOIPO in February this year and had absolutely no problems with VOIPO, while others were complaining almost daily.

I think I was lucky to get 2 of the newer PAP2's. I think VOIPO replaced the old troublesome versions.

VOIPO has never gone down except the one time my FIOS router died. This is how VOIP should be. I hope they are doing well as a company, they deserve to.

Support is A1, at least the couple of times I have used them.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to PX Eliezer704

Premium Member

to PX Eliezer704

said by PX Eliezer704:

Does FAX work better thru them than Callcentric?
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to dcm

Premium Member

to dcm
said by dcm:

I'm surprised that there's been no mention of the new B1G1 offer.

»www.voipo.com/residential.shtml

$175 + $36 = $211 for the 1st year; 2nd year is free (I assume you will be billed for taxes and fees at the start of the 2nd year).
I'm really having trouble with the math here.

Price per month $7.29 times 12 months = $87.48
+ Taxes and fees $36.
= 123.48 and 12 months free should be $123.48 for 24 months.

On the site check out it says: $211.
bbear2

bbear2 to christcorp

Premium Member

to christcorp
Does anyone know if this is for new customer's only?
SkullTrail
join:2009-07-10
Atlanta, GA

SkullTrail

Do they are BYOD?

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to bbear2

Mod

to bbear2
The price per month is the average over the 2 year period.
dbmaven

dbmaven to SkullTrail

Mod

to SkullTrail
No new BYOD.

They tried it, and "changed their mind" because of support issues (and the cost of providing that support).

Anyone who was BYOD and wanted to keep the service could do so, or they could get a Voipo provided PAP2T, or of course transfer to another service.

dcurrey
Premium Member
join:2004-06-29
Mason, OH

2 edits

dcurrey to dbmaven

Premium Member

to dbmaven
said by dbmaven:

The price per month is the average over the 2 year period.
Not including the $3 a month for taxes.

Everything included its $10.29 not a bad deal.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2 to dbmaven

Premium Member

to dbmaven
I see that now, but it sure is misleading on their website or at least it confused me.

"Price Per Month: $7.29 (12 Months + 2nd Year Free)"

Trimline
Premium Member
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL

1 edit

Trimline to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
Gary:

I've got a PAP2 NT - for faxing with CallCentric, make sure your FAX Passthru Method is set to None on the line configuration. You'll be able to fax and receives oodles of stuff. Why you would want to override the fax machine with the PAP2, I have no idea. It chokes when there is a setting provided.

Not sure why CC doesn't recommend this, but believe me, this is my setting and it works seamlessly. Now, for ordering the ink....

Cheers.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

1 edit

usa2k to garys_2k

MVM

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:
said by PX Eliezer704:

VOIPo FAX is not over VoIP, so it should be better than a VoIP solution. The numbers are Toll-Free, and cannot just be any number you want.

That is not to say what Call Centric does will not work every time. I really cannot say how CC fares.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to christcorp

Premium Member

to christcorp
I know, fax is just iffy with VoIP, likely more of a factor with one's ISP than provider.

I was just wondering why he, a devout Callcentric user, has a fax line with VOIPo. If there's a reason for it I'd like to understand it.
Iscream
Premium Member
join:2009-02-17
New York, NY

1 recommendation

Iscream to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k
said by usa2k:

VOIPo FAX is not over VoIP, so it should be better than a VoIP solution. The numbers are Toll-Free, and cannot just be any number you want.

That is not to say what Call Centric does will not work every time. I really cannot say how CC fares.
It all depends on how you view the term "VOIP". There is a delivery path between a DID supplying carrier which may be either TDM or VoIP or mixed somewhere in between. There is path between VOIPo (or any other VOIP provider) and the terminating end point. When the terminating end-point is an actual user - it's always VOIP. If the terminating end-pint is a call forwarding rule - it's mixed - depending on how the call arrived to VOIPo and then to where it's being forwarded to.

Therefore saying that "VOIPo FAX is not over VoIP" is at least saying nothing or at worst - unintentionally misleading. The actual path (consisting of multiple segments) is always a mix between VOIP and TDM.

I'm not aware of how VOIPo gets their DIDs - they may get it from multiple carriers who may deliver it via multiple different paths... The phrase "The numbers are Toll-Free, and cannot just be any number you want" also doesn't say anything... - if you know how the numbers are delivered - then you may say so - then more detailed analysis may be performed. Again - when the terminating FAX station is at the end-user's SIP TA end - then the call is delivered over VOIP for sure and the reliability of FAX depends on another set of factors including whether or not the T.38 is supported or not between VOIPo and its user (depends on VOIPo and the end-user's ATA).

Regarding Callcentric - I'm quite sure about how the DIDs are delivered to us ) Being a telecommunications carrier - we either use SS7/TDM hand-off or get the DIDs via dedicated inter-switch links (from those carriers whom we peer directly with) or via SIP from foreign international carrier whom we get over 40 countries DIDs from. Just for this conversation sake - the toll-free DID numbers are delivered to us via SS7/TDM therefore our e-faxing solution for calls arriving to our own toll-free DIDs is 100% guaranteed. Fax calls to most of US/Canadian DIDs on our network would also be delivered problem-free with exception of few tier-2 carriers who provide us with rural/otherwise hard reachable DIDs and who uses outdated equipment or less than qualified engineering personnel (unfortunately, I must admit - there are still many such carriers who live on FCC's "donations" and who provides less than adequate service for the money we pay).

A totally different animal is delivering faxes coming to our international DIDs and/or from those customers who forwarded FAX calls to us from their own DIDs whose calls already have been delivered (by their providers) via multiple VOIP legs. In case of international DIDs - it all depends on bandwidth/jitter available to the carrier whose DID is used in a call and/or on whether the T.38 is supported or not. In a case when some "smart" users forwarded to us calls they received from their 3rd party DIDs - the probability of such a FAX call being properly completed is approaching zero... Unfortunately, such users are usually most loud about "quality" of fax termination because they do not really understand how the fax transmission works.

I must explicitly admit that a fax transmission from IPKall DIDs sent to CC e-fax termination (or to that sake - any 3rd party DIDs from F9, VOIP.MS, DIDWW, etc.) will almost always fail because of multiple, long VOIP paths involved (each path adds its jitter, latency and possible packet loss) while strict timing required to fax protocols to work properly will [obviously] be violated. Do not forget - at both ends of such a "fax" transmission still are connected just usual, plain fax machines who have no idea of underlying SIP or even T.38 protocols, but who is very strict about timing and appropriate bit-strings receiving.

Sorry for going slightly off topic explaining those basics )

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

FWIW
said by VOIPoTimRe: [VOIPo.COM] Voipo outgoing fax number on header :

Our fax service is TDM based since faxing over VoIP just isn't reliable so we don't have as much flexibility with numbers on it. Basically all fax numbers are directed to fax servers since 100% of that traffic is fax traffic.

If a fax comes in over a number pointing there that isn't assigned to an account it simply doesn't process it and discards it.

With a paid fax account, it should show your number in the header vs the default trunk number. If it doesn't just contact support and they can make sure it does.

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

N9MD to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

Apples and oranges, Gary.

CallCentric is for incoming faxes only ... and you can, if you wish, change the fax setting to a voice setting (via the website) ... and vice versa. This works very well, but only for incoming (and is charged by the minute for PAYG accounts or is included in a monthly plan).

VOIPo is a designated fax-only DID with outgoing and incoming capabilities ... for $36 year. It works quite well ... and, with a reasonable cap on faxing minutes, is quite reasonably priced at $36 per year.

»Re: Free Fax Catcher from Phone Power
N9MD

1 recommendation

N9MD to usa2k

Premium Member

to usa2k
said by usa2k:

The numbers are Toll-Free, and cannot just be any number you want.
Oh yes it can, Jim! One can choose a "local" fax number based on area code and rate center. Furthermore, I find that the list of "local" fax DIDs offered by VOIPo is completely different from the available Voice account numbers. I just picked up a xxx-xxx-x000 (my favorite --- three zeros) in a rate center nearby my home town). This number was not available on VOIPo's voice account listing.
PX Eliezer704
Premium Member
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River

PX Eliezer704 to garys_2k

Premium Member

to garys_2k
said by garys_2k:

I know, fax is just iffy with VoIP, likely more of a factor with one's ISP than provider.

I was just wondering why he, a devout Callcentric user, has a fax line with VOIPo. If there's a reason for it I'd like to understand it.
I think that the "devout Callcentric user" that you are referring to is me.

Gee, I was just trying to put in a nice word about VOIPo.

Although CC is my primary provider, and I respect them greatly, I have always said that sometimes I use other providers too.

In fact, how would I know how great CC is without having the ability to see how a variety of providers work?

Regarding your specific question, CallCentric has many strengths. However, at present their fax reception feature is not officially supported, and they are trying to degremlin it. They have been very up-front about this:
»www.callcentric.com/feat ··· eception

Thus, I decided to try the dedicated fax line from VOIPo. As simple as that.

----------------------------

Upshot:

Trying to be familiar with multiple providers, by personal experience and/or learning from the experiences of others, I believe that:

a) CallCentric is the best BYOD provider.

b) VOIPo is among the best DISCO providers.

----------------------------
said by garys_2k:

At the funeral of the President of France, François Mitterrand, his wife and his mistress both attended, and even walked together.

I use several VoIP services. Do you just use one?

N9MD
Too busy to chat
Premium Member
join:2005-10-08
Boca Raton, FL

1 edit

N9MD

Premium Member

said by PX Eliezer704:

At the funeral of the President of France, François Mitterrand, his wife and his mistress both attended, and even walked together.
I had heard that the funeral was conducted according to ancient Aramaic custom wherein all three were actually interred in the same coffin ... referred to in some parlance as "fromage a toi".