uniqs
share rss forum feed

kamikatze

join:2007-11-02
kudos:2

1 edit
reply to cooldude9919

Re: Metro Ethernet: 2821 vs. 2921 router

I can't disclose that information. Ha ha ha.

nosx

join:2004-12-27
kudos:5

1 edit
So we got the official word from Cisco in their presentation yesterday.
The 3945 is designed to handle "150mbps" at most. This is a step up from the 3845s which were more 45mbps~ish.
The lower end routers are still lower end routers designed for their previous tasks. A 2911 is still designed to be just a NxT1 router but its designed to run more services than the 2811.
Cisco still hasnt provided me the PPS details i requested from them. To my knowledge none of their sales presentation is NDA. These details should all be trickling out very soon.
If you are seriously pushing 100mbps and up, i would still go with a 7200. They are probablly the most economical choice unless ur looking at ISRg2 specific features like the video-on-pvdms.

kamikatze

3 edits

ISR G2 Family Throughput
Apparently the official figures include CME/IPS/ZBFW/ACLs/NAT, "services you would run in a typical branch setup".
The CPU might be multicore, but the IOS is still an old monolithic approach and there's no SMP support yet (if ever). And no there's not going to be an IOS XE for the ISRs (i asked ).

Routerperformance.pdf has been also updated:
»www.cisco.com/web/partners/downl···ance.pdf
ASR1000's digits are jaw-dropping.

nosx

1 edit
I have had the same gripes about the 5580 ASA platform. Its got all those cores, and all that ram, but its still a 32bit image running on 64bit hardware.
The software is lagging behind the ability to truly use the hardware they are loading it on.
Also, the ASR numbers look fairly accurate. I am using them to provide L2 MPLS ethernet pseudowires between datacenters across sonet infrastructure. Those things can take anything we have thrown at them in any role.

kamikatze

1 edit

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Speedy Gonzales
The infamous routerperformance.pdf has been updated and the numbers for ISR G2 are, well, as Apple would say, ..magical.

»www.cisco.com/web/partners/downl···ance.pdf

Unsupported WICs:
»www.bradreese.com/cisco-isr-g2-support.htm

sporkme
drop the crantini and move it, sister
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-01
Morristown, NJ
reply to kamikatze
That chart in general looks like BS. They claim an NPE-300 can do 353,000 pps. Pure fantasy... I've seen one become unusable (ie: drop bgp and ospf, unusable console, barely pass traffic) at around 35,000 pps. No fancy stuff other than some basic anti-spoof ACLs.

What's it mean when the process-switched column is blank? The router *never* does any process-switching?

Since the numbers are fudged, can I at least believe the ratios from one product to another?
--
with every mistake we must surely be learning

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

all the x900 series are ASIC based, and they do not process switch... Process switch is referred to the CPU doing the switching...

And BTW the Cat3750ME does Far better MPLS/MPLS VPN than a router due to the fact the you can tag a VLAN straight into the MPLS... We use them in many of our sites we support... the only time we use 3800/3900s are when it's a DS3 or a serial line.

jsb

join:2009-12-25
Canada
Have you tried the ME3400 series instead of the 3750 Metro's? We've been deploying those out in the field, they seem pretty good...

nosx

Is there a big performance or feature comparison between 3750s and ME3400s? Im looking for MPLS PE (with bgp) capable multilayer switches for remote sites in a CSC environment...