Venice, CA

1 recommendation

SYNACK

Mod

Math?

How does a

"... pages loaded up to 55% faster..."

translate into a

"... they insist could double the speed of everyday browsing"?

Keiro
join:2005-10-25
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

Good question.

I wonder if they tried streaming HD content?

That'd be an interesting thought, wouldn't it? Also, what about quality? Does it cause quality to suffer like current streaming solutions are?
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to SYNACK

to SYNACK
There's probably some psychological stuff built into the 2x, as in the faster a page loads the faster you browse, on an exponential curve. Also, page load times may not be all of the equation; if the server is 30% faster and the client is 55% faster there's your 2x right there (1.3 X 1.55 ~= 2.0)
iansltx

iansltx to Keiro

to Keiro
HD is already compressed. This sounds like just normal web browsing stuff. I'm sure the pages on which streaming players are embedded will get a boost, but the streams themselves will remain the same quality-wise and load-speed-wise.
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

Forgive me for my ignorance, as I've not played with HD stuff... but I have to ask...

Theoretically, if they could compress it further with the technology with the already compressed HD, what advantages would it offer?

And if it COULD be done, is the quality theoretically awesome or so shitty it's not even worth it?

Mind you, this is all theoretical. I'm curious about this.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

The compression employeed is for headers and such, which tend to contain repeated text and are thus easily compressible. I haven't read through the whitepaper (something to do for the weekend) but SPDY seems to be all about optimizing transfers of the main body, file-wise, of web content: text, in the form of HTML, CSS, JavaScript, etc.

So while there would be no quality difference if SPDY were to be used on a video stream, it probably tends toward the technically impossible on this particular tech. It's like using a hyped-up Go-Kart to deliver bags of concrete. It can be done, but there are applications for which the Go-Kart doesn't provide any benefit over a compact car. Neither are particularly good for delivering concrete mix, but on the Go-Kart you can go pretty darned fast with a light payload (compressed document-style web content).

Put another way, SPDY won't affect the quality or performance of streamed video itself, though it might make the initial page load of YouTube appreciably faster.
Keiro
Birmingham, AL

Keiro

Thanks for explaining it that way.

Makes sense, now that you've put it in that particular way.

I was thinking of reading the whitepaper too, but I didn't think it was really that important, considering the bevy of technology that we already have that supposedly improves the web experience.