uniqs

NetAdmin1
CCNA
join:2008-05-22

NetAdmin1 to iansltx

to iansltx

Re: Ok, I have to ask...

said by iansltx:

Browser tuning is one thing, but SPDY sounds like it better takes advantage of whatever internet connection you have. Home connections aren't perfect, and realistically any increase in effective bandwidth (via compression or other peans) will result in a better web experience. There are some websites that still don't load with alacrity (triple word score!!!1!) on my 22/5 Comcast connection that a tuned browser and a hot protocol could fix.
First, nice use of the word alacrity. Now put down the thesaurus.

Ok, so SPDY takes advantage of the connection you have, but how much of the load time can be attributed to the connection? What about the effects of an overloaded or underpowered web server or database server (for dynamic sites)? What about the effects of the local client system that is running poorly?

So many factors affect the perception of browsing speed that a new protocol seems to have its limits.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Of course it has limits, however on a slower connection (which a lot of folks are on, believe it or not) page transmission time is a big factor, and the assumption is that the browser is highly tuned to start with.

It's not a panacaea by any stretch but every little bit helps, especially when you're running a high-traffic site. I have a feeling the protocol is relatively light (but still smart) so Google is able to serve up stuff more efficiently on their end as well. That fact is also why I don't think this project will go by the wayside...it's in Google's interest to make the Internet as efficient as possible. Gets them lower costs and more page views.