Reno, NV

djhexer

what is 3G really??

my understanding is (correct me if I'm wrong

Verizon AT&T
1RxTT = GMRS
Rev0 = EDGE
RevA = 3G

when I traveled with a CDMA phone I had rev0 most of the time until I got in a heavy populated area when I had 3G

so my question is "If my map is correct isn't Rev0 not really 3G??" and should there be a map for Rev0 vs RevA?

I also thinks its funny seeing that AT&T is having a bug fit about it while T-Mobile is quietly rolling out 21+??

dib22
join:2002-01-27
Kansas City, MO

dib22

Re: what is 3G really??

more like 1xrtt = edge

EVDO rev0/reva = UMTS (3g in att speak)

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by dib22:

more like 1xrtt = edge

In most of my testing, 1xRTT was faster than Edge. At least that was the case a few years ago when I was using both Sprint and AT&T devices between DC and New York.
sharksfan3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
North Hollywood, CA

sharksfan3 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

more like 1xrtt = edge

I have never experienced 1xrtt speeds in the 200kbps range like I have with edge...

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

1 edit

jmn1207

Premium Member

It's max is/was 144kbps. I never got over 100kbps with Edge a few years back. I'm sure Edge has evolved a bit since the last time I was using it.

I think that Verizon does include 1xRTT when creating their coverage maps, and if they are not including AT&T's Edge service, which is theoretically faster, than I can see the problem that AT&T has with these advertisements.

Edit: I certainly don't miss those days. If I had to go back, I think I would miss losing high quality streaming Pandora more than anything else.

3G Speed Test

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by jmn1207:

It's max is/was 144kbps. I never got over 100kbps with Edge a few years back. I'm sure Edge has evolved a bit since the last time I was using it.
It hasn't changed. You were just using a crappy network.

Before St. Louis got T-Mobile 3g, I was easily able to stream imeem, last.fm and 128kbps shoutcast webradio on my G1 using EDGE...
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Comparing experiences, I like 1x better than EDGE, but that might just be me.

Also, various carriers' network quality varies on EDGE and (to a lesser extent) on 1x/EvDO. T-Mobile is quite good on GPRS/EDGE but meh on 3G until recently. AT&T is fast in uncongested areas on 3G, and has good EDGE service in some areas. Their roaming partners however may well have terrible data networks. For example, West Central Wireless (Texas cellular provider, local to back home) can't get even GPRS speeds over their EDGE network where I live. Their voice network rocks though, and they sound like they'll be fixing things and deploying 3G soonish.
iansltx

iansltx to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Also, I think that Verizon should push out a map showing 1x coverage vs. AT&T EDGE coverage. I'll bet 1x wins.
iansltx

iansltx to djhexer

to djhexer
1xRTT is between GPRS and EDGE, closer to EDGE than GPRS.
EvDO is comparable to HSDPA
EvDO Rev. A is comparable to HSPA 3.6, if one carrier is deployed of each. However EvDO takes 1/4 the spectrum of HSPA so it'll probably have two carriers and still have room left over for 1xRTT voice.

HSPA+ 21 Mbps is faster than everything else. Download speeds are comparable to WiMAX, uploads are a good bit slower if both services' upload speeds are uncapped, though Clear WiMAX caps uploads at 1 Mbit so HSPA+ will be faster there.

anon2020
@rr.com

anon2020 to djhexer

Anon

to djhexer
Rev0 is 3G. IIRc Rev0 is 2.1 Mbit and RevA is 3.1 Mbit (at least that is what the VZ rep said.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ev ··· ptimized

jmn1207
Premium Member
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

FYI:

1xRTT = 153.6 kbps up and down

1xRev 0 = 2.4 mbps down and 153.6 kbps up

1xRev A = 3.1 mbps down and 1.8 mbps up

In the US, both Verizon and Sprint have converted 100% of their 1xRev 0 coverage areas to 1xRev A.
meowmeow
join:2003-07-26
Helena, MT

meowmeow to djhexer

to djhexer
GMRS = General Mobile Radio Service - aka walkie talkies.

CDMA2000 1xRTT is roughly equal to EDGE
CDMA2000 1xEVDO Rev. 0 is roughly equal to UMTS
CDMA2000 1xEVDO Rev. A is roughly equal to HSPA

EDGE is faster than 1xRTT, EVDO r0 is faster than UMTS, and HSPA is faster than EVDO rA. BUT in the real world network conditions will matter more than theory between those pairs of technologies.