Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

said by dib22:

more like 1xrtt = edge

EVDO rev0/reva = UMTS (3g in att speak)
In most of my testing, 1xRTT was faster than Edge. At least that was the case a few years ago when I was using both Sprint and AT&T devices between DC and New York.
sharksfan3
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16
North Hollywood, CA

sharksfan3 to dib22

Premium Member

to dib22
said by dib22:

more like 1xrtt = edge

EVDO rev0/reva = UMTS (3g in att speak)
I have never experienced 1xrtt speeds in the 200kbps range like I have with edge...

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 edit

jmn1207

Premium Member

It's max is/was 144kbps. I never got over 100kbps with Edge a few years back. I'm sure Edge has evolved a bit since the last time I was using it.

I think that Verizon does include 1xRTT when creating their coverage maps, and if they are not including AT&T's Edge service, which is theoretically faster, than I can see the problem that AT&T has with these advertisements.

Edit: I certainly don't miss those days. If I had to go back, I think I would miss losing high quality streaming Pandora more than anything else.

3G Speed Test

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by jmn1207:

It's max is/was 144kbps. I never got over 100kbps with Edge a few years back. I'm sure Edge has evolved a bit since the last time I was using it.
It hasn't changed. You were just using a crappy network.

Before St. Louis got T-Mobile 3g, I was easily able to stream imeem, last.fm and 128kbps shoutcast webradio on my G1 using EDGE...
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Comparing experiences, I like 1x better than EDGE, but that might just be me.

Also, various carriers' network quality varies on EDGE and (to a lesser extent) on 1x/EvDO. T-Mobile is quite good on GPRS/EDGE but meh on 3G until recently. AT&T is fast in uncongested areas on 3G, and has good EDGE service in some areas. Their roaming partners however may well have terrible data networks. For example, West Central Wireless (Texas cellular provider, local to back home) can't get even GPRS speeds over their EDGE network where I live. Their voice network rocks though, and they sound like they'll be fixing things and deploying 3G soonish.
iansltx

iansltx to jmn1207

to jmn1207
Also, I think that Verizon should push out a map showing 1x coverage vs. AT&T EDGE coverage. I'll bet 1x wins.