FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

said by tiger72:
said by glinc:

Then they would have to specify which type of phones. Because verizon have global phones also and bragging about the phones you have to work abroad is pointless, since it isn't even your company's own network. First improved your local coverage.
It does matter. The fact that you can use your GSM phone throughout countries that Americans travel to frequently for vacations (throughout Canada and Mexico) WITHOUT having to be limited to Verizon and Sprint's tiny (and expensive) selection of dual-radio phones would be a good selling point to many Americans.
Canada has excellent CDMA coverage and a Verizon CDMA phone would work just fine there.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by FFH5:
said by tiger72:
said by glinc:

Then they would have to specify which type of phones. Because verizon have global phones also and bragging about the phones you have to work abroad is pointless, since it isn't even your company's own network. First improved your local coverage.
It does matter. The fact that you can use your GSM phone throughout countries that Americans travel to frequently for vacations (throughout Canada and Mexico) WITHOUT having to be limited to Verizon and Sprint's tiny (and expensive) selection of dual-radio phones would be a good selling point to many Americans.
Canada has excellent CDMA coverage and a Verizon CDMA phone would work just fine there.
yeah I'm not really sure what I was thinking with that post
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to FFH5

to FFH5
Canada also now has excellent HSPA coverage. Too bad a large swath of GSM phones in the US either don't have HSPA at all (AT&T) or don't have phones with 3G in the correct band (T-Mobile).

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz

MVM

Canada already had excellent HSPA coverage. We've had nationwide GSM (Rogers) and CDMA (Bell/Telus) networks for a long time. I'm not convinced that Bell's new HSPA+ network has significantly better coverage than Rogers', but it's probably not THAT much better.

I wouldn't count on CDMA sticking around forever, though. There will come a point where Bell will likely want to transition everyone to HSPA+/LTE and shutter their CDMA network.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Bell and Telus did a full overlay on their CDMA networks with HSPA+ so coverage on their networks from what I hear is better by far than Rogers', and a lot faster as well at least for now.

As far as shuttering their CDMA networks, I'm sure the time will come, but Telus says they'll keep CDMA, iDEN and HSPA running simultaneously for awhile. Probably helps when you have a fair amount of spectrum to work with.

Are Canada's HSPA frequencies the same as AT&T's (850/1900) or is there anything on the 2100 band?