join:2001-03-28
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72 to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3

Re: Throwing Dirt at Each Other

said by Matt3:
said by dynodb:

But what percentage of customers are going to care? How many people need to use their cell phone outside the US often enough for it to be a selling point? 2%? 5%?

Also, CDMA coverage internationally is often underestimated. GSM might be dominant in Europe, but that doesn't mean there aren't CDMA carriers as well.

Perhaps a better approach would be promoting the fact that Verizon's CDMA doesn't allow for simultaneous voice and data.
CDMA is deploy as well internationally as GSM 3G is here in the US. That is, if you stick to relatively urban areas, you'll have CDMA coverage.
And you base this on what? In portions of Asia this may be the case (assuming the bands are even supported by the US phones, which they typically aren't), but in Europe this isn't even close to the truth.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

1 recommendation

Matt3

Premium Member

said by tiger72:
said by Matt3:
said by dynodb:

But what percentage of customers are going to care? How many people need to use their cell phone outside the US often enough for it to be a selling point? 2%? 5%?

Also, CDMA coverage internationally is often underestimated. GSM might be dominant in Europe, but that doesn't mean there aren't CDMA carriers as well.

Perhaps a better approach would be promoting the fact that Verizon's CDMA doesn't allow for simultaneous voice and data.
CDMA is deploy as well internationally as GSM 3G is here in the US. That is, if you stick to relatively urban areas, you'll have CDMA coverage.
And you base this on what? In portions of Asia this may be the case (assuming the bands are even supported by the US phones, which they typically aren't), but in Europe this isn't even close to the truth.
I base this on our CTO who was just in Europe and Asia with his plain old Verizon Motorola Q9c ... he had service everywhere he went.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

I base this on our CTO who was just in Europe and Asia with his plain old Verizon Motorola Q9c ... he had service everywhere he went.
Then he didn't go to Western or Mediterranean Europe.
Even the CDMA Development Group website shows no CDMA service throughout most of Europe.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by tiger72:
said by Matt3:

Even the CDMA Development Group website shows no CDMA service throughout most of Europe.
I don't know my European Geography well enough to place exactly where he went, but he noted that as long as he stayed in urban areas, his phone worked fine. China has full CDMA coverage.

Here is the map you're referring to: »www.cdg.org/roaming/gene ··· rage.asp

So yes, that section of Europe has not been covered. There's a lot more blue on that map than there is on the T-Mobile or AT&T 3G map however, which was my original point.

tiger72
SexaT duorP
Premium Member
Saint Louis, MO

tiger72

Premium Member

said by Matt3:
said by tiger72:
said by Matt3:

I don't know my European Geography well enough to place exactly where he went, but he noted that as long as he stayed in urban areas, his phone worked fine. China has full CDMA coverage.

Here is the map you're referring to: »www.cdg.org/roaming/gene ··· rage.asp

So yes, that section of Europe has not been covered. There's a lot more blue on that map than there is on the T-Mobile or AT&T 3G map however, which was my original point.
You, like ATT, are comparing apples to oranges. That CDG map indicates 2g or 3g CDMA. Not just 3g.

Moreover, that includes "trials".

»www.cdg.org/worldwide/index.asp

Oh, and the few deployments in Europe are on a band not supported by the phone. The Q 9c is only 800/1900, while the deployment in Portugal and Ireland are 450mhz, for example.

I'm actually not aware of any 450/800/1900 CDMA phones.

When it comes down to it, GSM is deployed in every country on the planet. CDMA sees no use in some of our biggest trading partners (like Germany, France, Australia, UK, etc.) Moreover, UMTS/WCDMA is being deployed on top of CDMA in China, Japan, Canada, and Mexico - some of CDMA2000's biggest supporters until now.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

I didn't specify 3G CDMA.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to tiger72

to tiger72
Hmm, 450MHz...bet that reaches a LONG ways
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by iansltx:

Hmm, 450MHz...bet that reaches a LONG ways
I wish we had the 450 mhz band in the USA. Mountains, deep inside steel buildings, and subway stations would have excellent service.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx

Me too. Wonder what takes that spectrum here. TV stations? Military?
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

Click for full size
said by iansltx:

Me too. Wonder what takes that spectrum here. TV stations? Military?
FREQUENCY
(MHZ)

450-470

NONGOVERNMENT
ALLOCATION

LAND MOBILE

Earth Exploration-Satellite (US201 460-470)

Space Research and Space Operations (FN668 450 MHZ)

NONGOVERNMENT
USE

Remote pickup broadcast (450-451, 455-456)
Public safety, industrial, land transportation (451-454, 456-459, 460-462.5375, 462.7375-467.5375, 467.7375-470)
Domestic public (454-455, 459-460)
Personal (462.5375-462.7375, 467.5375-467.7375)

GOVERNMENT
ALLOCATION

Meteorological Satellite (460-470)

Earth Exploration-Satellite (US 201 460-470)

Space Research and Space Operations (FN668 450 MHZ)
GOVERNMENT
USE

GOES satellite downlinks for integration of data collection platforms operate in this band.

Veteran's medical programs depend upon the use of biomedical telemetry and telecommunications in conjunction with nongovernment medical activities.

»www.globalsecurity.org/s ··· ia98.doc

Basically analog walkie talkies for corporate users, and satellite links.