join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to glinc

Re: lol

EDGE can actually be fairly respectable. I've seen speed tests as high as 250kbps with it. But it's a smaller pipe so it saturates quickly, and some middle-of-nowhere towers probably have weak backhaul. Whatever the case, I'm happy to see AT&T coming under fire for poor data coverage. It can only help encourage more deployment that they desperately need!
--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
Pre-3G I was only able to get 70-100 kbps on AT&T EDGE in my area. Better than CDMA 1x, but not impressive to say the least.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
said by iansltx:

Pre-3G I was only able to get 70-100 kbps on AT&T EDGE in my area. Better than CDMA 1x, but not impressive to say the least.
CDMA 1x is closer to 64Kbps (real world) isn't it?
--
trafficcloak.com - pptp/sstp vpn services

FFH5
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

2 edits

1 recommendation

said by Matt3:

said by iansltx:

CDMA 1x is closer to 64Kbps (real world) isn't it?
I have an Airave femtocell at home that can do 1xRTT data as well as voice. I do get very close to the max 144 kbps speed thru that usng my Pre on 1xRTT. Of course, when at home I use the Pre's WiFi capability, but I did do some data tests on 1xRTT after turning WiFi off on the phone.

--
My BLOG .. .. Internet News .. .. My Web Page

jvanbrecht

join:2007-01-08
Bowie, MD
reply to djrobx
While speed might be an issue, the bigger issue is that 3g, you can use both voice and data at the same time. With Edge, its either Voice, or data, and if you are using data, it sometimes takes a short while for the call to break through and ring (in my case with WinMo phones, it would ring on the callers side 3 to 4 times before the phone would drop the data connection and ring, leaving me with a very short period before the call goes to voicemail).

For some phones, that may be fine, but no so much with the iphone which constantly uses data, or any other device that say talks consistantly with exchange servers and what not...

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
reply to Matt3
Awhile back I was able to get 110 kbps on 1xRTT. Now when I'm in a 1x-only area I get 60-80 kbps. So yes, you're about right.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
said by iansltx:

Awhile back I was able to get 110 kbps on 1xRTT. Now when I'm in a 1x-only area I get 60-80 kbps. So yes, you're about right.
It's been forever since I've been in a 1x area, but that's what I remembered too.
--
trafficcloak.com - pptp/sstp vpn services