DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

Missing Hotfixes Per Belarc Advisor

When I run Windows Update, it shows that my system is up-to-date. When I run Belarc Advisor, it shows that I am missing 9 Microsoft Security Hotfixes, ranging from Important to Critical.

Now, I looked up each of the "missing" hotfixes and they all had to do with either Microsoft Office or Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, neither of which I have on this computer. The computer did come with Microsoft Works, but Works isn't shown in the Microsoft Bulletins as software that the Hotfix applies to. I do have the separate MS Office Power Point Viewer, but again, it is not being listed as applicable software. I opened up Windows Explorer and checked Program Files and there is an entry for Windows Office but it just seems to contain DLLs and some .exe files that look like they do some sort of converting action (if I click on them, nothing opens up). There is no entry for Microsoft Office in the Programs section in the Control Panel.

Does anyone know why Belarc would be telling me that these are necessary hotfixes for my computer? Makes me wonder if other people who run this scan are being told that they are missing hotfixes that they don't really need.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

Already tried Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer instead of Belarc?
said by Microsoft :

Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (MBSA) is an easy-to-use tool designed for the IT professional that helps small- and medium-sized businesses determine their security state in accordance with Microsoft security recommendations and offers specific remediation guidance. Improve your security management process by using MBSA to detect common security misconfigurations and missing security updates on your computer systems.
»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 924.aspx

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium Member
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

MagMan to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
That's why I quit using Belarc, it was always telling me I was missing Office updates when I don't have Office installed either. I have the viewers installed also. And my system is up to date as yours is.

CCat
We're all quite mad here
MVM
join:2005-12-06
Wonderland

CCat to Smokey Bear

MVM

to Smokey Bear
Thanks Smokey...I forgot about that one.

Smokey Bear
veritas odium parit
Premium Member
join:2008-03-15
Annie's Pub

Smokey Bear

Premium Member

Well, to be honest, I forgot to install MBSA on my Win 7 box, OP's post was a fine reminder to correct the issue.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore to Smokey Bear

Premium Member

to Smokey Bear
said by Smokey Bear:

Already tried Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer instead of Belarc?

I will give that a try - thanks.
BelarcGuy
Premium Member
join:2005-05-18
Maynard, MA

3 edits

1 recommendation

BelarcGuy to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
This is the most common complaint of Belarc Advisor users, and is due to Microsoft's somewhat confusing documentation of their security updates. First, Windows Update won't show you security updates for office. You must use Microsoft Update instead. If you're using Vista, you must check the option to check for security updates for all Microsoft products (that enables Microsoft Update on Vista). Please take care to read all of the Microsoft security update, as there's frequently a note buried in its FAQ section saying that this applies to your computer for other reasons even though you don't have office itself installed.

MBSA (or the Microsoft Update web site) should show you the same result, as the Belarc Advisor, so please let us know once you've looked into this further.
said by DownTheShore:

...Now, I looked up each of the "missing" hotfixes and they all had to do with either Microsoft Office or Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, neither of which I have on this computer.
Does anyone know why Belarc would be telling me that these are necessary hotfixes for my computer? Makes me wonder if other people who run this scan are being told that they are missing hotfixes that they don't really need.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by BelarcGuy:

This is the most common complaint of Belarc Advisor users, and is due to Microsoft's somewhat confusing documentation of their security updates. First, Windows Update won't show you security updates for office. You must use Microsoft Update instead.
Yeah. MS also dumped Windows Update and Office Update for its MS Update. »No more Office Update Web site? for details when I discovered that a few months ago.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

4 edits

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by antdude:

said by BelarcGuy:

This is the most common complaint of Belarc Advisor users, and is due to Microsoft's somewhat confusing documentation of their security updates. First, Windows Update won't show you security updates for office. You must use Microsoft Update instead.
Yeah. MS also dumped Windows Update and Office Update for its MS Update. »No more Office Update Web site? for details when I discovered that a few months ago.
I wouldn't say Microsoft "dumped" Windows Update as it is still fully supported.
You simply have two options; Windows Update or Microsoft Update. Microsoft Update targeting all Microsoft critical, recomended, and system driver updates along with software needing updating, and Windows Update that simply targets high priority updates, recommended updates, and system drivers. I just use Windows Update as I find Microsoft Update to be a big waste of time if you don't use Office products. I've never understood why Microsoft just didn't keep the Windows Update portal as the PRIMARY portal for obtaining anything and everything needing updated instead of creating 3 three nearly identical portals. Since most computers come with "Windows Update" in the start menu ... and not "Microsoft Update"... it would have made more sense for Microsoft to stick with Windows Update and make available the Office and other MS updates through Windows Update.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
I'm happy with the fact that Advisor shows me the Office updates I need. I don't have Office but I DO have Word 2002. That means that I have to do Office updates even the service packs for Office XP.

There is Works and there is Works Suite. People get those mixed up. If Works Suite came on your computer then you will need the Office updates but not if the cheaper Works came on your computer.