join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to fifty nine

Premium Member

to fifty nine

Re: Lithium 9V batteries in CO/Smoke detectors?

Sorry if this is a little OT, but this got me thinking...

I've got no idea of the age of the smoke detector in my apartment, but it does beep when press the test button.

However, how can one be sure that it actually detects smoke and that the radioactive material isn't completely decayed?

Is not knowing the age of the detector reason enough to replace it?

Btw it's a mains powered type detector (no battery). Come to think about maybe I should replace it with a model that has battery backup anyways, as it is not on a dedicated breaker (shares the same breaker as the outlets and lights for the bathroom, living room, hallway, and 3rd bedroom).

tmh
@verizon.net

tmh

Anon

said by TheMG:

Sorry if this is a little OT, but this got me thinking...

I've got no idea of the age of the smoke detector in my apartment, but it does beep when press the test button.

However, how can one be sure that it actually detects smoke and that the radioactive material isn't completely decayed?

If the detector is truly an ionizing detector, the effective life is 10 years. It's a function of the half-life of the alpha emitter (typically Americium 241). Once enough of the material is gone,it is no longer effective.

Those sensitive to heat rise, or are photoelectric can last longer. I don't have any numbers on these however.

All three detection modes have their pros and cons. Some of the better ones are multi-mode (e.g. photoelectric and ionizing).

If you don't know when they were put in, you can usually check in the case for the date of manufacture. If that's not available, best change it.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to TheMG

MVM

to TheMG
Couple of years ago I replaced all three interconnected AC powered smoke detectors. The old ones were about 25 years old.

The new ones are both AC and battery powered. In addition to battery backup they have several other useful features besides just having battery backup. They have a override button to temporally quiet the alarm. Handy for occasional cooking fumes or in our case getting careless with the wood stove. There is an LED indicator so you know the alarm is powered.

NFPA recommends replacement every 10 years. That seems like a reasonable interval. My recommendation is if yours are 10'ish years old replace them. I don't think there is a standard to interconnect alarms so replace them all with the same brand to be safe.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada

1 edit

TheMG to tmh

Premium Member

to tmh
Holy crap! I just pulled it off the wall to read the manufacture date on it:

October 15, 1987

Ionization type.

Definitely due for a replacement! I'm definitely going to go buy a new one tomorrow.