Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
USA

gattaca

Premium Member

Re: 2001 Mercury Sable - Nearly stalls when starting cold

Click for full size
Thanks for the help thus far everyone.

I took a closer look at the IAC valve and throttle body. The IAC did look to have some carbon buildup that could be preventing it from functioning properly, but I didn't have a chance to get a picture of it.

I also removed the air intake from what I believe to be the throttle body (don't know much about what I'm doing, but going off of the help here as well as searching Google) and it looked clean to me (see attached...)

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

1 recommendation

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

minutiae removed

cowspotter
join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

FWIW I have cleaned the TB on a Taurus multiple time using that cleaner without any ill effects. No swelling, no sticking. I know a lot of people (taurus car club) who have done the same.

Why don't you take the air intake hose off of the TB and take some pics of it, including with the valve fully open so we can see what the backside looks like. Take some of the IAC as well with it off the TB.

Doctor Olds
I Need A Remedy For What's Ailing Me.
Premium Member
join:2001-04-19
1970 442 W30

1 edit

Doctor Olds

Premium Member

minutiae removed

cowspotter
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

No, I hadn't heard of that. I don't even think my Duratec had a gasket on the IAC. The first time I removed it there wasn't one and I never had any driveability issues. The mounting surface was shaped in such a way that it looked like it would provide some kind of a seal. I've seen some people mention the presence of a paper gasket but never any redesign or aluminum spacer.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

The engine in question is a Vulcan.

cowspotter
Ashburn, VA

cowspotter

I know. I haven't ever pulled an IAC off of a vulcan before so it could involve a different gasket/mounting setup.

gattaca
Premium Member
join:2003-05-28
USA

gattaca to cowspotter

Premium Member

to cowspotter
said by cowspotter:

Why don't you take the air intake hose off of the TB and take some pics of it, including with the valve fully open so we can see what the backside looks like. Take some of the IAC as well with it off the TB.
Will do.
Can't tonight, but I should have some pictures up by tomorrow.