how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

shadowgod

join:2001-12-08
Torrington, CT

"Hold" flashing on cable box?

I reset my 4250HD box because I was getting pixelization on ESPN and I thought it would clear it up ... After I plugged it back in now it's been flashing "hold" for awhile.

What does that mean?

Thanks.

shadowgod

Torrington, CT

Ok it's back now, but why did it do that?

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to shadowgod

Waiting for the box to reboot? It takes a while.

shadowgod

Torrington, CT

Ok. It's just that I've never seen it before when I reset my box.

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

It's a new feature they added so when people reboot they need to "hold" on until it finishes loading before turning the box on.

I think they should have "WAIT" but that's just my opinion.
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04

Tursiops_G
Technoid
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-06
Norwalk, CT
kudos:1

1 recommendation

said by georgermct:

Agreed... "WAIT" would have been better, but it's impossible to display a "W" on a 7-Segment LED...

-Tursiops_G.
--
If You're Unsure, "RTFM"... If You're SURE, "RTFM" Anyway.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to georgermct

said by georgermct:

It's a new feature annoyance they added ....
Fixed.

Jmartz

join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

I rebooted a 4250HD box yesterday and saw the Hold message, it seemed to be flashing between HOLD and BPAS or something like that, so I just pushed the power button and got the familiar blue screen for about 10 minutes, and then everything was back up and running.

I thought it was odd that I had to push the power button, normally the thing just boots up. But it didn't appear to be doing anything so I figured the power button was the right way to go.

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY

Mines flashes Hold anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes.

then it will flash Turn On
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

JDolan

@optonline.net
reply to georgermct

said by georgermct:

It's a new feature they added so when people reboot they need to "hold" on until it finishes loading before turning the box on.

The display can not support the word "WAIT"

How hard is it to figure out what "HOLD" means?

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you
kudos:4

1 recommendation

said by JDolan :

Not hard.. but, it's hard to figure out what I'm supposed to be holding.
--
I Smell Cures! -- Our Hope

kickass69

join:2002-06-03
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
reply to HardwareGeek

For me it takes between 5-7 minutes, not sure why yours takes so long.

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ

Just push the power button. It will get rid of the hold message and boot the box just fine.

georgermct
PERFORMANCE

join:2000-05-12
Fairfield CT
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to JDolan

said by JDolan :

said by georgermct:

You obviously haven't worked with the public.
--
OOL Subscriber Since - 10/18/00 . . . iO Subscriber Since - 11/22/04

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
reply to JDolan

said by JDolan :

said by georgermct:

On a lot of portable electronics theres a "hold" switch that disables the buttons so that if you accidently hit something it wont do anything. So using "hold" makes a lot of people think they somehow locked the buttons. My mother panics every time. I guess if they cant do a W thay cant do an N either to make it flash "hold on"?

stillholding

@optonline.net
reply to Jmartz

said by Jmartz:

Just push the power button. It will get rid of the hold message and boot the box just fine.
That is EXACTLY what they are trying to avoid. If you turn the box on too early it doesn't load properly and will take MUCH longer. Hold means " hold on" , don't do anything... just wait till it says "turn on".

It's not really an annoyance, the actual wait is whats annoying and that hasn't changed... now while you're waiting you see "hold" flashing, before you saw nothing, in either case you still have to wait WAY too long for these boxes to come on.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to xirian

said by xirian:

I guess if they cant do a W thay cant do an N either to make it flash "hold on"?
JMO, the problem with Hold On is the word On. (they can do an n since they do it with turn on) While it may seem obvious to you that a flashing Hold then a flashing On means wait, I think the word On, even combined with the word Hold will confuse a lot more people then simply the word Hold.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ
reply to stillholding

said by stillholding :

said by Jmartz:

That is EXACTLY what they are trying to avoid. If you turn the box on too early it doesn't load properly and will take MUCH longer. Hold means " hold on" , don't do anything... just wait till it says "turn on".
Well, they can go screw. I have had that box and have rebooted it plenty of times without, "holding." and waiting for anything. The box sits there, displays NOTHING on the screen and most people aren't going to sit there and wait for the box to do whatever it does while the screen is just black.

Once again, the cablevision "programmers" if that's what they can be called have done a very poor job with implementation. They should have a screen, like TIVO that basically tells people that they have to wait "a few minutes more" or whatever until the box boots up.

Is their box software so piss poor that they don't want people to see the blue "scientific atlanta" screens anymore while they wait for the box to boot?

FIOSTV

@verizon.net
reply to shadowgod

The old Sony boxes were the best. They told you everything what was going on. Sony if Io keeped the Sony boxes it would have been a better product.

I think Cablevison nneds to move to a Motorola box something other then SA. The product is is so dated now.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

They are already supposed to be deploying new boxes that are DCAS and tru2way. These were supposed to be from LG or Samsung. They filed with the FCC that they have commenced deploying them. Wonder where and whether anyone has one.

»www.lightreading.com/blog.asp?bl···site=cdn

»fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/ecfs/retr···19913435
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT
reply to Tursiops_G

said by Tursiops_G:

said by georgermct:

Agreed... "WAIT" would have been better, but it's impossible to display a "W" on a 7-Segment LED...

-Tursiops_G.
Add graphic LCD and all done
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

Maze

join:2006-02-02
USA, NYC

1 edit

if you haven't noticed already the "7" segment display is terrible at hold too. The words specifically the h does not look too good and the d. That is for trying to make an 8 into a h and d. lol

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

said by Maze:

if you haven't noticed already the "7" segment display is terrible at hold too. The words specifically the h does not look too good and the d. That is for trying to get an 8 into a h and d. lol
yeah one of the first things I notice with the hold lol

heck "boot" looks better.. maybe flashing boot might of been better :-/

Deb in ct

@optonline.net
reply to Jmartz

My "hold" issue just started today. NEVER had it before. I "held" for over 30 minutes and nothing came on. Even used the "help" button. Nada. So pushing the Power button is the only way for me to get anything to happen with that stupid box. If it disrupts the booting process, then so be it. I'll wait 'til I screw the thing up by pushing "power" and when I return the box and cancel my service I'll at least have some satisfaction of knowing that I didn't need to "hold" like it told me to. Stupid cablevision.

Expand your moderator at work

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT
reply to Deb in ct

Re: "Hold" flashing on cable box?

said by Deb in ct :

My "hold" issue just started today. NEVER had it before. I "held" for over 30 minutes and nothing came on. Even used the "help" button. Nada. So pushing the Power button is the only way for me to get anything to happen with that stupid box. If it disrupts the booting process, then so be it. I'll wait 'til I screw the thing up by pushing "power" and when I return the box and cancel my service I'll at least have some satisfaction of knowing that I didn't need to "hold" like it told me to. Stupid cablevision.
did you get a message saying "advance services not available?"
--
It's NOT Ni-kon It's NE-KON!

Jmartz

Tenafly, NJ

said by Subaru:

did you get a message saying "advance services not available?"
That only happens if the box doesn't have a good signal when it's booting up. I, like a dumby forgot to hook the coax up to the box the first time I rebooted it, and got nothing from it. No channel banner or anything, when I pluged the cable in a picture showed up, but the banner was gone, no program information, etc. However, with NOTHING loaded from Cablevision, the channels tuned and the box was lightning fast without all their bloatware loaded. Unfortunately the guide, and banner, etc. are needed, so I just pulled the plug on it and let it reboot. -- Everything was available right away after the second reboot, this time with the cable connected to it... and the box was back to being really, really slow. - Go figure.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium
Greenwich, CT

haha yeah I have the DVR and I had to reboot it this morning friken box just froze when I was looking at the recorded shows and went to press the two touch guide button and it just sat with a black box over the recorded shows display.