DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
join:2002-06-08
Greenville, SC
kudos:2

1 edit

Cisco Aironet 1231 AP - POS!!!

I recently purchased one of these AP's and going thew the web config I found myself to be very disappointed with the available options on security and setup. The only way I found to setup WPA is with a radius server.. No WPA-PSK options. Only WEP.

And forget trying to bridge it with another AP. Other than setting it as a root bridge, I see no other way to select another AP for it to assoc with.

So if anyone thinks they can help me with this, please feel free to do so. Thanks

/end rant
--

Have a Networking problem or question? Stop by the Networking Forum and let us help you.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

Cisco IOS Software, C1200 Software (C1200-K9W7-M), Version 12.3(8)JED, RELEASE S
OFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2009 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Fri 18-Sep-09 10:32 by tinhuang

ROM: Bootstrap program is C1200 boot loader
BOOTLDR: C1200 Boot Loader (C1200-BOOT-M) Version 12.3(2)JA4, RELEASE SOFTWARE (
fc1)

c1200 uptime is 22 hours, 56 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload
System image file is "flash:/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-8.JED/c1200-k9w7-mx.123-8.JED"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export@cisco.com.

cisco AIR-AP1231G-A-K9     (PowerPC405GP) processor (revision A0) with 15138K/12
36K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FOC095204GL
PowerPC405GP CPU at 196Mhz, revision number 0x0145
Last reset from reload
1 FastEthernet interface
1 802.11 Radio(s)

32K bytes of flash-simulated non-volatile configuration memory.
Base ethernet MAC Address: 

Product/Model Number                 : AIR-AP1231G-A-K9

Configuration register is 0xF

--

Have a Networking problem or question? Stop by the Networking Forum and let us help you.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to DaMaGeINC

My cheap WRT54GL with Dd-wrt can do 100xtimes the things this expensive AP can do. Its soo sad!

vipergg22

@netacc.net
reply to DaMaGeINC

I think it does a lot more than you think . Have fun digesting all the features.

»cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/ac···p1048646

Bink
Villains... knock off all that evil

join:2006-05-14
Castle Rock, CO
kudos:4
reply to DaMaGeINC

Don’t be an idiot. It does WPA-PSK. Learn how to read—and be a man and use the CLI.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

3 edits
reply to DaMaGeINC

Click for full size
Maybe I am just an idiot... But why do I have to setup EAP and all this other BULLSHIT. All I want this thing to do is bridge to another AP, and repeat the signal using WPA-PSK to the clients in the house.

Listen. $50 to whoever wants it. Im done with cisco crap.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

1 edit

Ok figured out WPA.

CH  1 ][ Elapsed: 36 s ][ 2009-05-04 16:29

BSSID              PWR RXQ  Beacons    #Data, #/s  CH  MB   ENC  CIPHER AUTH ESSID

xxxxxxxxxxx   61  96      348        0    0   1  54 . WPA2 CCMP   PSK  GaMeRs

BSSID              STATION            PWR   Rate   Lost  Packets  Probe

--

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

1 edit
reply to DaMaGeINC

Ok need help.

I have it setup as a root bridge with wireless clients. It is broadcasting my wpa network just fine. Now I need to setup the bridge, but I cant figure out how to set the ssid for the remote ap and the encryption for it. Any help guys?

ps, I guess it would be called a workgroup bridge with wireless clients. Thats what I NEED!
--

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

1 edit

Does not seem like it will perform this function.
Cheapo linksys with ddwrt will do it in 5seconds flat.

DDWRT 1
Cisco 0

ladino

join:2001-02-24
USA

2 edits

Since you already have a root bridge, set the 2nd AP as a non-root bridge. Note that the GUI has most of the settings you need to configure the APs. Since you are not 'familiar' with the GUI I suggest you use the CLI. Here are the commands to specify the roles the AP can be configured for

!
Cisco1250AP(config-if)#station-role ?
  non-root          Non-root (bridge)
  repeater          Repeater access point
  root              Root access point or bridge
  scanner           Scanner access point
  workgroup-bridge  Workgroup Bridge
!

Your 2 APs will essentialy have the same configuration, except for the station-role command noted above to specify root & non-root bridge

cooldude9919

join:2000-05-29
kudos:5
reply to DaMaGeINC

I will admit the web config is pretty crappy and confusing with cisco in general. If you are not familiar with the cisco IOS then i can see why you would not be happy with the device. If you would have looked around on the internet at all before buying im sure you would have seen similar comments.

You seem to be making progress, so just keep asking your questions here and we will do what we can to help

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC
reply to ladino

Thanks for the heads up. Im used to working on routers with cisco, so I know the CLI cmds for those, now I have to relearn it for the AP's. lol.

What I found out, is that the aironet 1231 will only bridge to another aironet with the current firmware I have.(which is the latest....)

So, I guess im outa luck.
--

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

1 edit

said by DaMaGeINC:

The WGB associates to an AP on your network. An AP in WGB mode can associate only to an Aironet AP or bridge (in AP mode).
»www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/···87.shtml

nosx

join:2004-12-27

1 edit

I originally purchased two for lab testing on ebay. (dirt cheap bridges) I used them with eachother with great success, i was dissappointed in my testing that i couldnt bridge them into an open wireless network from a linksys box, but all in all they are a good introductory piece of wireless hardware for enterprise class features. Oh well, its important to learn these things so we can apply them in the future. The web interface is trash because cisco would prefer you buy the wireless control systems for the lightweight APs. I have guys in operations that learned the WCS/WLC/WISP interfaces in a few days and are masters at deploying and troubleshooting wireless now.

DaMaGeINC
The Lan Man
Premium
Greenville, SC

"i was dissappointed in my testing that i could bridge them into an open wireless network from a linksys boxk"

You could or could not?

nosx

join:2004-12-27

could not, sry i was sleep-posting last night. I had no luck getting it bridged onto an open wireless 802.11g network.