spc
uniqs

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to kickass69

to kickass69

Re: "Hold" flashing on cable box?

Just push the power button. It will get rid of the hold message and boot the box just fine.

stillholding
@optonline.net

stillholding

Anon

said by Jmartz0:

Just push the power button. It will get rid of the hold message and boot the box just fine.
That is EXACTLY what they are trying to avoid. If you turn the box on too early it doesn't load properly and will take MUCH longer. Hold means " hold on" , don't do anything... just wait till it says "turn on".

It's not really an annoyance, the actual wait is whats annoying and that hasn't changed... now while you're waiting you see "hold" flashing, before you saw nothing, in either case you still have to wait WAY too long for these boxes to come on.

Jmartz0
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

said by stillholding :

said by Jmartz0:

That is EXACTLY what they are trying to avoid. If you turn the box on too early it doesn't load properly and will take MUCH longer. Hold means " hold on" , don't do anything... just wait till it says "turn on".
Well, they can go screw. I have had that box and have rebooted it plenty of times without, "holding." and waiting for anything. The box sits there, displays NOTHING on the screen and most people aren't going to sit there and wait for the box to do whatever it does while the screen is just black.

Once again, the cablevision "programmers" if that's what they can be called have done a very poor job with implementation. They should have a screen, like TIVO that basically tells people that they have to wait "a few minutes more" or whatever until the box boots up.

Is their box software so piss poor that they don't want people to see the blue "scientific atlanta" screens anymore while they wait for the box to boot?

Deb in ct
@optonline.net

Deb in ct

Anon

My "hold" issue just started today. NEVER had it before. I "held" for over 30 minutes and nothing came on. Even used the "help" button. Nada. So pushing the Power button is the only way for me to get anything to happen with that stupid box. If it disrupts the booting process, then so be it. I'll wait 'til I screw the thing up by pushing "power" and when I return the box and cancel my service I'll at least have some satisfaction of knowing that I didn't need to "hold" like it told me to. Stupid cablevision.
Expand your moderator at work

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to Deb in ct

Premium Member

to Deb in ct

Re: "Hold" flashing on cable box?

said by Deb in ct :

My "hold" issue just started today. NEVER had it before. I "held" for over 30 minutes and nothing came on. Even used the "help" button. Nada. So pushing the Power button is the only way for me to get anything to happen with that stupid box. If it disrupts the booting process, then so be it. I'll wait 'til I screw the thing up by pushing "power" and when I return the box and cancel my service I'll at least have some satisfaction of knowing that I didn't need to "hold" like it told me to. Stupid cablevision.
did you get a message saying "advance services not available?"

Jmartz0
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0

said by Subaru:

did you get a message saying "advance services not available?"
That only happens if the box doesn't have a good signal when it's booting up. I, like a dumby forgot to hook the coax up to the box the first time I rebooted it, and got nothing from it. No channel banner or anything, when I pluged the cable in a picture showed up, but the banner was gone, no program information, etc. However, with NOTHING loaded from Cablevision, the channels tuned and the box was lightning fast without all their bloatware loaded. Unfortunately the guide, and banner, etc. are needed, so I just pulled the plug on it and let it reboot. -- Everything was available right away after the second reboot, this time with the cable connected to it... and the box was back to being really, really slow. - Go figure.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

haha yeah I have the DVR and I had to reboot it this morning friken box just froze when I was looking at the recorded shows and went to press the two touch guide button and it just sat with a black box over the recorded shows display.