uniqs
jnlk26
join:2002-03-27
San Jose, CA

jnlk26

Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway

Comcast users,

I cannot find the Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable
Modem Gateway for shopping online or any store.

I just wonder if you bought or have the above gateway.

I am not sure if Comcast can accept the above gateway.

Your reply will be appreciated.

jnlk26
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

2 edits

lilstone87

Only D3 modem motorola has released, and selling atm is the 6120, which is only a modem for D3 internet service. So currently there is no D3 modem you can buy with a wireless gateway, or with VOIP.

netcool
Premium Member
join:2008-11-05
Englewood, CO

netcool to jnlk26

Premium Member

to jnlk26
That modem isn't supported on Comcast's network. The all in one cable modems tend to be more trouble than their worth, I'd steer clear of all of them.

Kuvanito
@comcast.net

Kuvanito to jnlk26

Anon

to jnlk26
Great Modem indeed.I've been in contact with Motorola for the past week and YES It will be supported by Comcast,it's in testing stage right now.
I also wanted to buy it before I purchased my SB6120 but run the same path you did(N/A as of yet) will be here shortly.
watch for Bestbuy,ComPUSA and even Walmart.
I am loving the new High Speed Docsis 3.0 has to offer
currently I am getting 27MBS Download and 3.07MBS Upload

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to jnlk26

Premium Member

to jnlk26
Motorola finally has a N gateway in the works. I will be looking into it, when it is available.
Ripper

Ripper to jnlk26

Premium Member

to jnlk26
Also looking over the specs on that modem, it allows channel bonding of up to 8 downstream channels, compared to 4 for the SB6120. »www.motorola.com/Busines ··· /SBG6580

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

I.M.O., it will be quite some time before anyone sees 8 bonded downstream on the CC system.
lilstone87
join:2009-04-09
Chesapeake, VA

2 edits

lilstone87

said by EG:

I.M.O., it will be quite some time before anyone sees 8 bonded downstream on the CC system.
yeah probably atleast 5 years imo. These D3 modems can handle about 160 down with 4 channels now, so i don't see any cable isp's supply that much speed withen the next five years. But i could be wrong.
Kronie
join:2010-02-17
New York, NY

Kronie to jnlk26

to jnlk26
I too am anticipating this new wireless cable docsis 3.0 modem, however, I am hoping that it will include:

A) dual band N or draft-N support, so that the wireless printers can be assigned to the 2nd band, as LCD affects wireles speeds (lowest common denominator of speed, being the 54mb or wireless-g speed)

B) gigabit ehternet ports

C) user selectable USB port for either:
C1) --- storage device for the network
C2) --- alternative port other than the RJ45/Ethernet data port

.. has anyone located such a wonder device?

.. has anyone located either the Motorola SBG6580?, to the equivalent SMC Networks device?

.. on a directly related note, has anyone made a netorked storage device work?, on these modems? the theory is all attached devices over the wireless should be able to see the mass storage unit, hence making netork sharing easier instead of having to configure and reconfigure and repermission each attached device to see each other.

thanks in advance

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer

Draft-N is no more, as 802.11n was officially ratified late last year. (Most draft-N routers are firmware-upgradable to N-ratified, either directly and/or via the third-party route; all the free third-party firmware options include N-ratified support as long as the chipset itself does.)

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

Tordek7 to jnlk26

Premium Member

to jnlk26
Only "gateway" I ever found satisfactory was the SMC's but i'm sure a few people would like to smack me for saying that.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

1 edit

EG

Premium Member

said by Tordek7:

Only "gateway" I ever found satisfactory was the SMC's but i'm sure a few people would like to smack me for saying that.
LOLLLL !!!

»www.break.com/userconten ··· -1657752

nerdburg
Premium Member
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA

nerdburg to Tordek7

Premium Member

to Tordek7
said by Tordek7:

*SMACK!*

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7 to jnlk26

Premium Member

to jnlk26
what can i say.. mine runs like a beast. But it don't have the comcast firmware on it :P

Charles P
@cgp.com

Charles P to jnlk26

Anon

to jnlk26
Motorola says it may be out by late April or early May, 2010. Cost est. to be around $165.

Charles P.
Charles P

Charles P to jnlk26

Anon

to jnlk26
Comcast says it should be compatible with their cable system. Comcast says all SURFboard cable modems work well with their service.

Charles P

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7

Premium Member

said by Charles P :

Comcast says it should be compatible with their cable system. Comcast says all SURFboard cable modems work well with their service.

Charles P
While it may be compatible you have no choice but to buy said gateway. being "compatible" does not mean it will work. So you could of just bought yourself a $XXX door stop.

If it didn't matter then why would they have a approved modem list.

»mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/

And not all SURFboard modems i can still use a 3100? or 4100?

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG to Charles P

Premium Member

to Charles P
said by Charles P :

Motorola says it may be out by late April or early May, 2010. Cost est. to be around $165.

Charles P.
Why would anyone want or need one. CC has not implemented any upstream channel bonding as of yet and it may be some time before they do.

Cjaiceman
MVM
join:2004-10-12
Castle Rock, WA
(Software) pfSense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO

Cjaiceman to Tordek7

MVM

to Tordek7
said by Tordek7:

what can i say.. mine runs like a beast. But it don't have the comcast firmware on it :P
And that is why yours works. The ones with Comcast's firmware on it are just horrid. I seem to have a tendency to go thrid party firmware on a lot of things... (ex my phone, wireless APs, VHF/UHF radios and other devices...)

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7 to jnlk26

Premium Member

to jnlk26
All i got on my SMC is the stock SMC firmware. We have done 0 tweaking to the firmware at all. SMC gives it to us, we bench it then push it lol

SJDude
@comcast.net

SJDude to jnlk26

Anon

to jnlk26
Its available the 3rd party order online. I installed one last week in Almaden. I was surprised to see a Gateway here seeing how we don't support them here. Just note, if you order one, we will install and support it. But if it;s a bum modem, you're out of luck!

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
Great White

Tordek7 to jnlk26

Premium Member

to jnlk26
Why would any tech install a customers owned modem? I would run the cable, and verify with a SLM and say "on your boat" to the customer.

Second, I do not think comcast will support it whatsoever. Lets put it this way. I put OsX86 on my PC and it stops working. Do you really think Microsoft/Apple are going to support that?

cpd41
@comcast.net

cpd41 to SJDude

Anon

to SJDude
said by SJDude :

Its available the 3rd party order online.
Any idea where? So far Google is letting me down...

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

PGHammer to EG

to EG
Some folks have actually gotten decent performance from SMC's products (I have one of their USB wireless-G adapters in my desktop; prior to that, it did duty in an older XP-based laptop which now has a G PC Card).

Horses for courses, like almost everything PC hardware-related.

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

Why are you replying to me ? I didn't say otherwise..

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

1 edit

DarkLogix to nerdburg

Premium Member

to nerdburg
said by nerdburg:

said by Tordek7:

*SMACK!*
Double *SMACK!*

Ya I haven't had any issue with mine
although when I have aton of outbound connections my internet does seem to slow down

I'm really looking forward to the D3 version (hurry and get to baytown already)
EastOfEden
join:2010-06-13

EastOfEden to jnlk26

to jnlk26
The SBG6580 is now available at Best Buy for about $150. I love the idea of an integrated device which saves on separate equipment and power so I picked one up the other day only to find that Comcast does not yet support it. I have put in a request that they do so but who knows how long that will take. Does anyone have information on the approval process over there? I never had this problem when I had DSL. It seemed like any device would work. I think its ironic that cable with its faster speeds would be behind the curve when it comes to integrated devices.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

That's because they stink. You would be better off with a good modem and router. The only benefit is space saving, but with the service issues with those gateways, you would be happier with 2 devices. As for power savings, maybe over the course of 20 years you would save $3 or so.

Trust me, I install and run trouble calls on this stuff every day.
EastOfEden
join:2010-06-13

EastOfEden

Actually I have not had a problem with the integrated devices. I have found that they work well for me. I have had more of a problem maintaining a separate modem and gateway and possibly switch if you have multiple devices. One or the other tends to freeze up from time to time or there is problem configuring around 2 firewalls, etc. I have seen a few posts with people professing to keep them separate but I don't think that that is a good answer for consumers who really want/need an integrated solution.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

With a single router and switch, you would only have 1 firewall still. The modem is just a layer 2 bridge device. If you had a router behind a gateway, then yes you can cause yourself a lot of problems. A router behind a real modem, you will be golden.