how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

angelicvoice

join:2009-12-31
reply to quux

Re: Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway

So has anyone used both this new modem and the old SBG901.. it seems from most accounts this new one is not of the same quality and I may as well just go with the older 2.0 model.. especially since my service is only up to 10Mbps anyway.

answrman

@cox.net

I had the SB901 for about 5 years without any problems, worked like a champ. I purchased the SBG 6580 about three weeks ago and it's dead. Called Cox, they could see the MAC, but no IP. It worked great for three weeks and was consistently pulling 40Mbps without issues.

The wireless is not up to par compared to the 901. I have an Xbox with 802.11n wireless and I'm using WPA-2 PSK and I could only play online for about 30 minutes before I lost all wireless connectivity and had to reboot the modem.

Cox Tech came out today and verified that the SBG 6580 was dead, it would acquire upstream and downstream channels, but never would receive a WAN IP. We tried everything, but eventually re-provisioned my old 901 and things were great. I'll be going back to BestBuy...glad I saved the box and documentation.

Expand your moderator at work

ChrisandGena

@comcast.net
reply to quux

I am having the same problem with the SBG6580. It will drop the connection several times an hour. Comcast support was little help saying they can "see" the modem from their end and "must be a problem on my end".

jsdeprey

join:2010-09-16
Charlotte, NC

1 edit
reply to jnlk26

Hello, I am using the SBG6580 on a none Comcast network.
I wanted to just share what I have been seeing.

I have a 50 mbps down and 5 mbps up service, and my speeds have been great! I am really enjoying the speeds!
I bought my modem at Best Buy, but not sure if you could supply your own modem if you were a normal customer.

I had issues with the DDNS feature, and the support at Motorola told me to turn off the firewall on the modem (just a check box) and that feature would start working, that did fix the DDNS issue. I also am having issues with the VPN, I can get it to work but it stop working after awhile and even though I can reconnect to the vpn no traffic works, also all other NAT port forwards stop working. Motorola did not have a fix for this.

I asked Motorola if they had any firmware updates for these modems yet, and got this response from Motorola

Cable Service Providers or MSO's control the firmware on the cable modems. Any and all firmware upgrades to your Motorola cable modem, or any DOCSIS cable modem, is completely under the control of the cable operator. Motorola does not, nor is capable of, controlling the firmware upgrade process. You should contact your cable operator for details or issues with their plan to upgrade your cable modem.

I explained that I bough the modem from Best Buy, and I would think the cable provider would not be responsible for updating my modem, since I own it.

Can some share with me how this works? I work for a cable company and I can get the updates from them if need be, but this just sounds strange to me, if you own the modem especially one that has all these type of features in it, it would be nice to be able to update the modem myself to get features such as VPN working that my cable provider is not worried about supporting at all.

Other than the things I mentioned above, the modem has been working fine, I turned off the firewall and my DDNS works fine now, and I just have not used the VPN anymore (wish I could) but the modem stays online and speeds are great, wireless seems fine so far but I dont use N at all yet, and dont use G much.

mmorrow

join:2002-01-27
Dayton, OH

said by jsdeprey:

I had issues with the DDNS feature, and the support at Motorola told me to turn off the firewall on the modem (just a check box) and that feature would start working, that did fix the DDNS issue.
Thanks! I was having the same problem with DDNS and this fixed it for me also.

trewq

join:2001-12-13
Chicago, IL
reply to jsdeprey

I currently own the SBG 9000 wireless and quite happy with it.
Have zero problems, but thinking about upgrade. Suggestion to turn off the firewall may be accepted only to be a temporary solution and it is a bit odd to hear this from the manufacturer. It looks like the firmware fix is due.

Expand your moderator at work

jsdeprey

Charlotte, NC
reply to trewq

To bad it does not sound like Motorola feels they owe me anything, instead they think I need to work this out with me cable provider.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

Or, you could just get a better stand alone modem and a nice router and not have these issues.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

jsdeprey

Charlotte, NC

I do not see what this really has to do with it being a combined modem/router-gateway, but right now my cable provider only supports this Motorola modem and a Ubee for Docsis 3.0, they are both modem/gateway type devices.
It seems to me the problem here is not that this is a modem/gateway, but that Motorola's support of this device is completely different (like they dont support it at all) than what I am used to in a normal gateway product like Linksys or Netgear etc..
I can get the firmware updates in other ways, I know people that work with Motorola etc.. but I was wondering how a normal customer that bought a modem like these from Best Buy would handle this issue?

Gnarlodious

join:2003-06-25
Santa Fe, NM

The modem/router worked fine on Comcast, but I returned it because it did not allow for a custom DNS server. And I was loathe to use Comcast's since any error URL would take me to search.com.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
reply to jsdeprey

If you have comcast, there are many more modems that are supported. If you don't, than this is the wrong forum for you.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Inewt

join:2010-12-05
reply to Gnarlodious

It is a shame you returned it because it doesn't allow for a custom DNS server. I have the SBG6580 and I use a custom DNS server--I just set the custom DNS address in my computer, so the computer doesn't use the modem's auto-DNS feature.

KimbO1

join:2011-02-06

just to add my random 2cents... i have had the MOTO SBG6580 within weeks of them being available and haven't had one problem with mine. it has worked consistently and it is a fairly complex setup. but i would never recommend this modem to anyone who needs it to cover even half of a duplex which is already half a house. in our half of the duplex i only get a solid signal within a 20-25' +/- radius. i do get sinal out to 300 or so feet but it connects, drops, connects, drops constantly. i got it when i upgraded my net that needed the DOCSIS 3.0 from a Linksys WRT-600N and separate older surfboard DOCSIS 2.0 (where i would get full signal well into a 600' distance away). thought, yay, it would be one less piece of junk in my house. well i'm reverting to the WRT-600N and just a plain MOTO DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

KimbO1

join:2011-02-06

thot i would add this in case anyone wanted specs on up and down power levels. i have a Motorola SBG6580 DOCSIS 3.0 Wireless Cable Modem Gateway and ISP: cox cable ultimate package in the midwest. this is just an average of what i normally see.

Downstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status Modulation Channel ID Frequency Power SNR Correctables Uncorrectables
1 Locked QAM256 138 807000000 Hz 5.8 dBmV 35.2 dB 0 0
2 Locked QAM256 139 813000000 Hz 5.8 dBmV 35.3 dB 0 0

Upstream Bonded Channels
Channel Lock Status US Channel Type Channel ID Symbol Rate Frequency Power
1 Locked TDMA and ATDMA 7 2560 Ksym/sec 36000000 Hz 46.5 dBmV

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

that has ZERO to do with a modem or anything in this post.....yea its the same modem, but thats it...different plant, different system...levels have nothing to do with if thew modem will work on comcast....
--
I'm better than you!

sortofageek
Runs from Clowns
Premium,Mod
join:2001-08-19
kudos:23
reply to jnlk26

(topic move) Slow Charter Speeds

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Slow Charter Speeds