Badonkadonk
Premium
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Dish Network

High pitched whine when accelerating

I have a '98 Nissan Maxima SE. The car seems to drive just fine, but over the last week or so, I've noticed that when I accelerate, I can hear a fairly faint high-pitched whine coming from somewhere towards the front of the car. The pitch increases in frequency the longer I accelerate. Once I get to a particular speed and maintain that speed, the whine goes away.

I've tried turning off the climate control, but that didn't make a difference.

Any ideas what may be causing the noise?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
Check your belts!

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Ahh, that makes sense. Hopefully it's something relatively simple, straightforward and cheap to fix.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
kudos:1
Does it change when only accelerating or does it occur also when parked when gas is applied.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Not sure. I'll have to try that out tonight when leaving work.

Mchart
First There.

join:2004-01-21
Kaneohe, HI
reply to Badonkadonk
Belts would be the number 1 guess. The other would be a vacuum leak of some sort.

As stated, I would see if you get the same sound while the transmission is in neutral.
--
THIS IS SPENCER. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED - I HAVE JOE. RETURNING TO BASE.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Badonkadonk
Belts or tensioners.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Wireless..
I have the same issue on a 92 Honda. Never heard the noise before...but I soon as I got a timing belt installed I have been hearing it ever since.
These post gives me an idea where to start with mine. Hope it isn't the timing belt that is to tight....that doesn't sound good to me. And it been at least 4 months since it was installed. Never get to prove it was them that caused it.
(just my luck)
--
Long you live and high you fly and Smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

Mchart
First There.

Kaneohe, HI
said by Robotics:

I have the same issue on a 92 Honda. Never heard the noise before...but I soon as I got a timing belt installed I have been hearing it ever since.
These post gives me an idea where to start with mine. Hope it isn't the timing belt that is to tight....that doesn't sound good to me. And it been at least 4 months since it was installed. Never get to prove it was them that caused it.
(just my luck)
How many miles does the new belt have on it? It takes a few thousand miles for the belt to 'wear on' properly so it will make an occasional slight whine. However, it shouldn't be a huge whine that you can clearly hear all the time.

Did they replace the pulley that goes to the cooling pump? A common issue with the older 4-banger honda's w/ timing belt is that the pulley on the cooling pump takes the majority of the 'load' of the belt. When the new belt is installed at 80k miles, the stress of the higher amount of tension can bend/snap the pulley.

Also, it could just be a vacuum leak somewhere on the intake.
--

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL
reply to PrntRhd
I was going to mention tensioner or alternator, my 95 civic alt complained before it died.

cjski
The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Will
Premium
join:2001-01-04
Sun City, CA
reply to Badonkadonk
i vote power steering pump. turn the wheel while the car is standing still and see if the sound changes.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
But, would the steering pump make noise even if I weren't turning the wheel?

I get the whine even when I'm not turning the wheel. But, I will try that out. It can't hurt.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Badonkadonk
Power steering pump is more of a cold operation vs warm operation noise.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
I get the whine almost immediately starting out in the morning, during the drive and at the end after driving 30 miles to get to work.

getercheked

@ameritech.net
reply to Badonkadonk
You really should stop posting here and go to a local mechanic, dealer, or even pep boys for a diagnostic.

If for some reason this does turn out to be a tensioner/alternator or something more serious, than you risk danger to yourself and or passengers.

Do the right thing and get it checked out by a proper car mechanic/technician.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
I posted just to get a general idea. The car will go in certainly, but it's nice to not enter a repair shop being completely clueless.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Warzau
said by Warzau:

Does it change when only accelerating or does it occur also when parked when gas is applied.
I tested the car out this weekend.

I get the sound regardless of whether I'm parked or in motion. Again, it's a real faint whine. Almost sounds like a quiet version of the whine of a supercharger turbine. The more gas, the higher the pitch.

Mchart
First There.

Kaneohe, HI
said by Badonkadonk:

said by Warzau:

I tested the car out this weekend.

I get the sound regardless of whether I'm parked or in motion. Again, it's a real faint whine. Almost sounds like a quiet version of the whine of a supercharger turbine. The more gas, the higher the pitch.
I'd say it's most definatly an intake/vacuum leak somewhere or the belt has issues.

Put some water on the belt and see if the noise goes away.
--

Angralitux

join:2004-05-20
DO
reply to Badonkadonk
can you tell if the sound is coming from the stereo? if so, could be some kind of noise leak, specially if you have an aftermarket audio unit, badly installed.
--
All Is possible...

Smoove910
Premium
join:2005-08-01
Nampa, ID
said by Angralitux:

can you tell if the sound is coming from the stereo? if so, could be some kind of noise leak, specially if you have an aftermarket audio unit, badly installed.
I was just going to mention this as well.... if it is indeed coming from youir speakers, you will need to reconnect your ground to a better place.

Good luck!

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Mchart
said by Mchart:

said by Robotics:

(just my luck)
How many miles does the new belt have on it? It takes a few thousand miles for the belt to 'wear on' properly so it will make an occasional slight whine. However, it shouldn't be a huge whine that you can clearly hear all the time.

Did they replace the pulley that goes to the cooling pump? A common issue with the older 4-banger honda's w/ timing belt is that the pulley on the cooling pump takes the majority of the 'load' of the belt. When the new belt is installed at 80k miles, the stress of the higher amount of tension can bend/snap the pulley.

Also, it could just be a vacuum leak somewhere on the intake.
Sorry...for some reason I haven't been alerted when this thread is being updated hmmm.

The belt probably has 600 to 750 miles on it now. Lately I have been wondering if it is the alternator making the noise.

All I know is I never heard the noise till the day I drove the car off the lot from getting the timing belt installed.
The whining noise goes with the RPM of the engine, except at idle I can't hear it (not saying it isn't still doing it though).
Reminds me of the sound of a dentist drill type nose at constant high speed
You say "it shouldn't be a huge whine that you can clearly hear all the time". Well, I hear it all the time

It appears its the original pulley, plus I wasn't charged for one so I don't think that was changed.
I never thought of a vacuum leak.
--

Mchart
First There.

Kaneohe, HI
Like I said, put water on the belt and see if the sound goes away. If it does, it's the belt.
--

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD
reply to Badonkadonk
said by Badonkadonk:

I get the whine even when I'm not turning the wheel. But, I will try that out. It can't hurt.
Of course it could, the pump is belt driven. I'd lean more towards a vacuum/intake leak first though.

--
20/20 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
reply to Smoove910
I don't think it's the speakers. I can turn the radio off and I still hear the noise (it's the orginal 6-speaker Bose system so it may or may not still be working right I guess).

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Mchart
said by Mchart:

Like I said, put water on the belt and see if the sound goes away. If it does, it's the belt.
I'll try that.

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network
reply to Vamp
said by Vamp:

said by Badonkadonk:

Of course it could, the pump is belt driven. I'd lean more towards a vacuum/intake leak first though.

Anyway to check that out without taking it in?

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
Louisa, VA
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Verizon Wireless..
Mchart, If you were responding to me, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to put water on a timing belt. To the best of my knowledge I don't even have access to it, unless I start tearing the engine apart.

Thanks
--

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to Badonkadonk
Does the noise go away after a while?
If so then try rubbing soap on your belts.
My car does this every day it is cold out. The noise stops after about 10 blocks of driving. Guess it takes that long for the rubber to warm up and stop slipping. I don't change my belts, but you may want to tighten them up a bit.
Fanbelts like everything else in the last 10 years is made of crap materials. This is so common now they even have a sprays in auto parts stores for it.
--
»www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/

Badonkadonk
Premium
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Dish Network

1 edit
reply to Robotics
said by Robotics:

Mchart, If you were responding to me, I'm not sure how I'm supposed to put water on a timing belt. To the best of my knowledge I don't even have access to it, unless I start tearing the engine apart.

Thanks
I think maybe you aren't in the right thread?

Edit: Looks like we both have the same issue.

Mchart
First There.

Kaneohe, HI
reply to Robotics
said by Robotics:

Thanks
If you can't access the timing belt it's because your engine doesn't have one and instead has a timing chain. Completely different.
--