Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FattyAcid5

join:2009-10-27
Houston, TX

Is AT&T going to phase out ADSL where this is U-verse

I was wondering something:

Is AT&T going to phase out the ability to order ADSL where there is U-verse? Or will they continue to support it as a backup for Internet-only access for those that are too far from a VRAD?

AT&T now lets you order U-verse Internet-only online and I could see AT&T wanting to phase out ADSL equipment (assuming they get a lower-cost VDSL modem for Internet-only customers). One negative for the consumer I could see with an ADSL phase out is stranding the minority who is too far from the VRAD or those that are super latency sensitive (gamers).

Another reason I could see AT&T wanting to phase ADSL is that the re-wiring the premise techs do for U-verse often would render it incompatible with an ADSL self-install.

Thoughts?

bogey7806

join:2004-03-19
Here
kudos:1

ADSL isn't going anywhere. It costs money to remove cabinets and equipment. Also, there are plans for ADSL and ADSL2+ yet.

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to FattyAcid5

I don't see a good business case for removing the ADSL network. They have a fairly extensive network of DSL RTs also, and with U-verse freeing up those resources I imagine they'll try to push internet only customers to use those alternatives wherever possible.

I wouldn't be surprised to see them simply upgrade ADSL to VDSL2. Consider that unlike VDSL, VDSL2 has ADSL2 like properties at far distances. That would allow them to use the same equipment for both types of customers, and might explain why they've held off on upgrading to ADSL2+ for so long.

As for interleaving and latency, as with ADSL, it's a feature that can be enabled and disabled. If enough people complain AT&T can give support the ability to configure the circuit as needed.

Don't forget AT&T has ADSL resellers like DSLExtreme. If they stop supporting non-Uverse customers, they'll raise some "anti-competitive behavior" concerns.

--
AT&T U-Hearse
Your funeral. Delivered.

doublea

join:2007-06-04
Petaluma, CA

I think a el-cheapo adsl modem costs way less than a RG, considering internet only users still get a rg that is for tv and phone also.

We have several ADSL resellers here also, Sonic, DSL extreme, earthlink ect ect.

So many people have ADSL now and they are happy with it, and I dont think they would be happy with having to change out all of their equiptment any time soon.

Now what I want to know, can you get POTS and ADSL in FTTP uverse neighborhoods?

RgrRamjet

join:2009-02-17
San Diego, CA
reply to FattyAcid5

I don't know about all neighborhoods, but, in 1990 I had a house built in a charter neighborhood that only had Fiber to the House. I had a Fiber converter right on my house but everything inside the house was POTS of course. So yes, POTS should still be viable in my opinion. BTW If anyone wants to look it up, the neighborhood I lived in was Ridgecrest, CA. They were under some Govt. grant study and all new developments were strictly fiber but they still had standard cable for video services at the time.

WiFiguru
To infinity... and beyond
Premium
join:2005-06-21
Irvine, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

said by RgrRamjet:

I don't know about all neighborhoods, but, in 1990 I had a house built in a charter neighborhood that only had Fiber to the House. I had a Fiber converter right on my house but everything inside the house was POTS of course. So yes, POTS should still be viable in my opinion. BTW If anyone wants to look it up, the neighborhood I lived in was Ridgecrest, CA. They were under some Govt. grant study and all new developments were strictly fiber but they still had standard cable for video services at the time.
Ridgecrest has fiber to the house? Damn! Wonder what kinds of plans/speeds they have currently.

arealdsltech
Premium
join:2007-02-27
Oklahoma City, OK
reply to doublea

POTS is available in FTTP neighborhoods. A cheaper modem (2wire 270HG) is available for "DSL", however, a tech install is required for the ethernet connection to the modem. Also, U-verse is supposed to be the only internet available to FTTP customers in U-verse markets. Speeds are limited to "DSL" profile speeds when non U-verse service is installed. (6M max). I have not seen a DSL reseller on FTTP yet, although it is theoretically possible.

bluepoint951

join:2001-03-20
Lewisville, TX
kudos:5

said by arealdsltech:

I have not seen a DSL reseller on FTTP yet, although it is theoretically possible.
They exist.... »DSL Extreme Launches Rebranded FiOS

just not in UVerse FTTP neighborhoods......

--
AT&T UVerse Dispatch Center - SouthWest |
Covering AL, AR, CA, FL, GA, KS, KY, LA, MO, MS, NC, NV, OK, SC, TN, & TX