how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Beafly

join:2007-08-13
Lexington Park, MD

Metrocast DVR Hard-Drive Space...

Just recently upgraded our television so my wife can watch football in Hi Def.

Never really had disk space issues on our Motorola DVR before, but now that we've started recording HD programming it's filling up in less than a week. My wife will record all the foot-ball games on Sundays, and watch them throughout the week, which isn't leaving any room for the normal programming I record throughout the week, and watch on Saturdays.

I called customer service and asked if there was any way to upgrade to a bigger hard-drive in my DVR, they said no. So I'm stumped. The whole point of this thing is so that we can record TV, and watch it later, but we're now at the point where we're missing shows.

Has anyone had any luck getting Metrocast to upgrade their hard-drive space, or adding an external drive to these Motorola DVRs or anything I'm not thinking of? Hard drive space is sooo cheap these days, seems ridiculous to not be able to increase it.

Thanks in advance.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT
You could buy a Tivo HD DVR which has two versions, one with a really big hard drive. then you'll only have to rent the cable cards from Metrocast.

Also, bot Tivo models have the capability to connect an external hard drive.

Beafly

Lexington Park, MD
So, been reading further on this unit.

Looks like some success has been had with swapping the 120gig versions' hard-drive with a 160gig hard-drive.

But for anything further than that, I'd need to go away from metrocast.

Doesn't Tivo have some monthly fee associated with it now?

So I'd be purchasing a Tivo unit, paying Tivo monthly, paying metrocast for the card monthly?

All to have enough hard-drive space to record 1 week's worth of shows in HD.

flush75

join:2008-10-30
Waterford, CT
reply to Beafly
For the Tivo, I think the monthly fee is roughly $12 and then you'll need the M Card installed and that's around $5/mo. I had one and it kept freezing up on me so I sent it back to them.

I don't record a lot of HD, maybe a sitcom or two. But I can see how HD can consume HD space. If you record two complete football games, that can be upwards of 7 hrs of content.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
reply to Beafly
The cost to go to Tivo can be a wash if you're willing to pay annually. That way you get two months free. You can actually save money by going to the 3 year or lifetime subscription plans.

Tivo has so many benefits, the extra storage is actually one of the lesser benefits. the interface is head and shoulders above Mertocast's DVR, and you can give it command remotely.

Beafly

Lexington Park, MD
reply to Beafly
Exactly... and my wife records 3 games on a typical Sunday and a 4th on Monday night. Pretty much wrecks our DVR.

The costs sound comparable to the ~15 bucks a month I think we pay for the DVR service from metrocast, save the upfront cost of purchasing the Tivo unit itself.

But, you're saying you had compatibility problems with the Metrocast cable card/ Tivo approach?

The more I think about this... the more I come to the conclusion that it's ridiculous for a cable company to not offer an expandable storage solution for your DVRs. Gotta love the cable monopoly.

flush75

join:2008-10-30
Waterford, CT
said by Beafly:

But, you're saying you had compatibility problems with the Metrocast cable card/ Tivo approach?

I may have just got a bad Tivo unit. I bought directly from the company and it kept freezing on me and the guide would pop up all by itself, (even with the remote on the table). Their tech support was kinda useless. Unplug it...reboot it...remove any splitters. I never got to install a cablecard. By that time I got so frustrated with it that I just sent it back altogether.

Maybe you'll have better luck. remember, you need to have a phone line connected or ethernet connection to make it work.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium
New London, CT
reply to Beafly
I have heard the the very first HD units had some issues, but that those have been since resolved.

I had a series 2 Tivo that I simply adored. But when I upgraded to HD I had to get a Metrocast box.

Well my Tivo will be set up this Friday. I can't wait!

Craig8

join:2006-01-22
Lexington Park, MD
reply to Beafly
Here is the model I have from Metrocast:

»www.pace.com/americas/products/p ··· %20Tahoe

There a link on the page to download the user guide.

It supports eSATA drives. Not sure if it's enabled by Metrocast, if they can enable/disable these types of things.

Anyway, there's another option. Buy an external HD.

Beafly

Lexington Park, MD
reply to Beafly
The Motorola unit I have from Metrocast has an eSATA port on it. It is not active.

icedcorn
IcedCorn
Premium
join:2007-07-08
Rochester, NH
I have two series 2 machines (both with lifetime service) and a Tivo HD with life time. I have a WD MY DVR expander 500 GB external unit which is designed for Tivo .

Not bad at all .