gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

DNS Redirecting is BAD

If you need more proof, ICANN is on board now, or has been, and this is new news for me. I have always been against it.

Having to opt out all the time, with CenturyLink is a pain in the butt. It must use cookies or something. I've had to opt out more than a few times on each PC.

And IF it is cookie based, what about other programs?

And please don't tell me to change my DNS servers, to ones, other than the ones my ISP gives me. I realize this is an option, but to me, not a good one.

Here is a link to the pcworld story:

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· ann.html

RVAguy
Premium Member
join:2006-01-05
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

You could always change your DNS servers to ones other than your ISP gave you

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc to gatorkram

to gatorkram
I'm not giving CenturyTelBarqLink a free pass here, but in all honesty, I haven't used ISP's DNS servers in 5 years and have never had an issue.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

You guys are sort of missing the point. I pay for internet service, and part of that service, includes DNS services.

I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party DNS server, for my service to work correctly. And I shouldn't have to setup my own either.

Obviously I could... BUT...

It's not like I get a discount if I don't use theirs.

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy

Premium Member

said by gatorkram:

It's not like I get a discount if I don't use theirs.
Well I could say you are, b/c that does go towards the bottom line of the company, which helps keep prices as their current levels... And your service does include DNS services, albeit a service you don't particularly like, but it is DNS services nonetheless. Part of your agreement to use your DSL is that you agree to aforementioned services, so to recap, you are getting exactly what you agree to pay for.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I disagree. It's broken.

The opt-out does not work. It seems to sometimes work, and sometimes not. Maybe the cookie expires or something, not really my job to troubleshoot the issue, but it is not working as expected.

They should just offer correctly working DNS servers for those who want to opt out, or fix the current system.

I still think it breaks other apps, returning an IP for a non-existent domain... Bleh
sestrada6
join:2008-01-01

sestrada6 to RVAguy

to RVAguy
you are getting exactly what you agree to pay for

and a little more...

»arstechnica.com/old/cont ··· buck.ars
sestrada6

sestrada6 to gatorkram

to gatorkram
Try these:

# dig @138.210.81.3 -t a xxxhothothot.com +short
# dig @205.244.112.20 -t a xxxhothothot.com +short

Think twice about using open recursive servers

»searchsecurity.techtarge ··· ,00.html

»consumerist.com/2009/05/ ··· ers.html

# dig @208.67.222.222 -t a xxxhothothot.com +short

# dig @208.67.220.220 -t a xxxhothothot.com +short
cville229035
join:2001-01-27
Wheaton, IL

cville229035 to RVAguy

to RVAguy
said by RVAguy:

............. Part of your agreement to use your DSL is that you agree to aforementioned services, so to recap, you are getting exactly what you agree to pay for.
Please supply a link or some other verification that this is required part of my DSL service. I have reviewed the agreements that I have signed since first receiving DSL service in Sept 1998 from Sprint. Even the ELUA from a 660 when you currently sign up does not require you to only use CenturyLink's DNS servers.

And to gatorkram ---- you bitched about this in Jan 2008 »We demand true and correct DNS servers

I agree that redirection is a pain in the a**. Verisign started this sh*t back in 2003 and it's gotten worse. Just about every ISP is doing it for additional revenue (bottom line revenue that the stockholders demand)

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I decided awhile ago, to switch back to our (read CL) dns servers. The first time I got the search page, I said, cool, I can turn this off. But it keeps coming back. Opting out simply doesn't work.

No idea why it doesn't stay opted out.

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy to cville229035

Premium Member

to cville229035
Let me clarify - I wasn't stating the T&C's requires you to use CTL's DNS service, but rather countering the argument that stated that CTL's DNS redirect service wasn't part of his plan, or he's not receiving proper DNS. Basically, if you decide to use Centurylink's DNS services, then you are bound by the T&C's set forth in the privacy policy.

Online advertising
We may use advertising companies to deliver ads for CenturyLink-offered services and products on our Web sites or on third party Web sites. These online ads include, but are not limited to, banner ads. These online ads may contain third-party cookies or Web beacons that allow tracking of visitors' responses to our advertisements, which responses assist us in measuring the effectiveness of our ads. Although these third parties may receive anonymous Web usage information about ad viewing on such Web sites, we prohibit them from using this information in any manner contrary to the terms of this Policy.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I guess no one is going to address that the opt-out is BROKEN

More than likely, it's working as designed.
ozar
Premium Member
join:2008-04-13
USA

ozar

Premium Member

said by gatorkram:

More than likely, it's working as designed.
I think that is indeed the case, and they have no intention of fixing it.

Once a person opts out, they should remain out until they manually opt themselves back in. If the ISP has technical difficulties in doing that, they should refrain from all redirecting efforts until they can fix the issue, at least in my own opinion.
mworks
join:2006-06-13
Rose Hill, NC

mworks to gatorkram

to gatorkram
I understand where the poster is coming from. I have changed my DNS to opendns and still on occasion end up redirected to century links page. I really would like an answer as how to prevent it. Most of the time it goes to the opendns site if it is a bad address but not always.

This is the page from my router showing the dns servers are indeed changed.

»img190.yfrog.com/img190/ ··· dnsp.jpg

Hazy Arc
join:2006-04-10
Greenwood, SC

Hazy Arc

I've had that happen too, and I also use OpenDNS. There is something a bit deeper going on methinks.
rabeatz7
Premium Member
join:2009-03-21
Apopka, FL

rabeatz7

Premium Member

That happened to me occasionally as well - I'm using DDWRT. In DDWRT you have to issue it a "strict-order" command to ONLY use the DNS servers specified or it may take the fastest route, which can sometimes be considered the original ISP DNS servers that it's pulling, regardless of the fact that I manually entered my own DNS servers in the setup.

»www.opendns.com/support/ ··· icle/120

Perhaps your routers are doing something similar? I haven't seen the CLINK/Embarq redirect page since doing that.

Although, my modem is briged as well - do you guys have your modems bridged? If not, perhaps the modem is using the DNS it has to route you, regardless of what's set in the router.
mworks
join:2006-06-13
Rose Hill, NC

mworks

The router I use ,Netgear DGND3300 , has the DSL modem built into it, got tired of having a modem and a router and it was cheap from a friend. I love this router because it has so many features like a usb port where I can connect an external drive and access from any computer on the internet. Highly recommend it for DSL users. I have set the dns to use whatever I tell it to use and it does 99% of the time, but I still see the redirect sometimes.

Only way I can think of that is possible is if they are monitoring traffic.

The router:
»netgear.com/Products/Rou ··· 300.aspx
sestrada6

sestrada6 to gatorkram

to gatorkram

Maybe cause it's broke since inception two years ago is the reason we're allowed to use the clean ns servers at embarqservices.net

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by sestrada6:

Maybe cause it's broke since inception two years ago is the reason we're allowed to use the clean ns servers at embarqservices.net
And what are those?
rabeatz7
Premium Member
Apopka, FL

2 edits

rabeatz7

Premium Member

»embarqservices.net/ipsup ··· p#dnsips

Thats the only mention of DNS servers I can find.
quote:
What are the host names and IP addresses of CenturyLink's DNS servers?
Name Server IP Address Server Type
dns-auth-3.centurylinkservices.net 207.14.235.234 Primary
dns-auth-4.centurylinkservices.net 67.238.98.162 Secondary
dns-auth-5.centurylinkservices.net 74.4.19.187 Secondary
sestrada6

sestrada6 to gatorkram

to gatorkram
ns1.embarqservices.net thru ns12.embarqservices.net

To test lookup a bad record (eg embarq.coom).

Expected result has flags ra (recursion available) and status NXDOMAIN (record not found)

# dig @ns7.embarqservices.net -t a embarq.coom

; > DiG 9.2.4 > @ns7.embarqservices.net -t a embarq.coom
; (1 server found)
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 56876
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;embarq.coom. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
. 10800 IN SOA a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2009113001 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 106 msec
;; SERVER: 207.14.235.234#53(207.14.235.234)
;; WHEN: Mon Nov 30 18:31:50 2009
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 104

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

Thanks for the info.

Most of those are pretty far off the local net for me, but I did find 2 that don't have to hit level3, and they were ns7 and ns8. A lot of them were off orlando.level3

Will give them a shot.

herb77
join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL

herb77 to gatorkram

to gatorkram
said by gatorkram:

If you need more proof, ICANN is on board now, or has been, and this is new news for me. I have always been against it.

Having to opt out all the time, with CenturyLink is a pain in the butt. It must use cookies or something. I've had to opt out more than a few times on each PC.

And IF it is cookie based, what about other programs?

And please don't tell me to change my DNS servers, to ones, other than the ones my ISP gives me. I realize this is an option, but to me, not a good one.

Here is a link to the pcworld story:

»www.pcworld.com/article/ ··· ann.html
Just block " search.embarq.com " from your router, that's what I do.
rabeatz7
Premium Member
Apopka, FL

rabeatz7 to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram
Google Recenty Announced their DNS servers, so that is another option as well.

»code.google.com/speed/pu ··· lic-dns/
dcounts
join:2002-09-07
Defuniak Springs, FL

dcounts to gatorkram

to gatorkram
I guess I don't understand the problem.

I set a dynamic dns service provider in my modem and it keeps track of any dynamic dns changes and provides me with a static address.

I used www.dyndns.org and if I type in a bad address it redirects me to the dyndns.org search page.
They are the one that is provided with tyhe zyxel modem and provides 5 free host name services.

don

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

1 edit

gatorkram

Premium Member

said by dcounts:

I guess I don't understand the problem.

I set a dynamic dns service provider in my modem and it keeps track of any dynamic dns changes and provides me with a static address.

I used www.dyndns.org and if I type in a bad address it redirects me to the dyndns.org search page.
They are the one that is provided with tyhe zyxel modem and provides 5 free host name services.

don
If that is the behavior you want from your DNS servers, that is fine, but to me, if I type in an incorrect address, I shouldn't get someones search page. This is not a service I asked for, and in fact I have opted out of about 15 times or more.
dcounts
Defuniak Springs, FL

dcounts

It doesn't take any more time to load their search page than the "Page Cannot be displayed" page from Internet Explorer" file on my computer.
At least the search page gives me suggestions, IE does not.

Is there a DNS server that does not offer a search page for bad address requests?

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I think you are missing the point. I am not going to try and explain the whole debate to you. If you are happy, wonderful. I am not.
ozar
Premium Member
join:2008-04-13
USA

ozar to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram
I too prefer the "Page Cannot Be Displayed" page because that's all I need to know, and I highly prefer to do my own searches as well.
dcounts
Defuniak Springs, FL

dcounts to gatorkram

to gatorkram
gatorkram,
You have been upset about this for over a year and a half now.

If you haven't been able to resolve it to your satisfaction in more than 18 months perhaps you should consider yourself out of step with everyone else and learn to not make mistakes when typing in addresses or consider it simply your punishment for having sausage fingers when you get redirected.

don;)