Premium Member
join:2006-01-05
Richmond, VA

RVAguy to gatorkram

Premium Member

to gatorkram

Re: DNS Redirecting is BAD

said by gatorkram:

It's not like I get a discount if I don't use theirs.
Well I could say you are, b/c that does go towards the bottom line of the company, which helps keep prices as their current levels... And your service does include DNS services, albeit a service you don't particularly like, but it is DNS services nonetheless. Part of your agreement to use your DSL is that you agree to aforementioned services, so to recap, you are getting exactly what you agree to pay for.

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I disagree. It's broken.

The opt-out does not work. It seems to sometimes work, and sometimes not. Maybe the cookie expires or something, not really my job to troubleshoot the issue, but it is not working as expected.

They should just offer correctly working DNS servers for those who want to opt out, or fix the current system.

I still think it breaks other apps, returning an IP for a non-existent domain... Bleh
sestrada6
join:2008-01-01

sestrada6 to RVAguy

to RVAguy
you are getting exactly what you agree to pay for

and a little more...

»arstechnica.com/old/cont ··· buck.ars
sestrada6

sestrada6 to gatorkram

to gatorkram
Try these:

# dig @138.210.81.3 -t a xxxhothothot.com +short
# dig @205.244.112.20 -t a xxxhothothot.com +short

Think twice about using open recursive servers

»searchsecurity.techtarge ··· ,00.html

»consumerist.com/2009/05/ ··· ers.html

# dig @208.67.222.222 -t a xxxhothothot.com +short

# dig @208.67.220.220 -t a xxxhothothot.com +short
cville229035
join:2001-01-27
Wheaton, IL

cville229035 to RVAguy

to RVAguy
said by RVAguy:

............. Part of your agreement to use your DSL is that you agree to aforementioned services, so to recap, you are getting exactly what you agree to pay for.
Please supply a link or some other verification that this is required part of my DSL service. I have reviewed the agreements that I have signed since first receiving DSL service in Sept 1998 from Sprint. Even the ELUA from a 660 when you currently sign up does not require you to only use CenturyLink's DNS servers.

And to gatorkram ---- you bitched about this in Jan 2008 »We demand true and correct DNS servers

I agree that redirection is a pain in the a**. Verisign started this sh*t back in 2003 and it's gotten worse. Just about every ISP is doing it for additional revenue (bottom line revenue that the stockholders demand)

gatorkram
Need for Speed
Premium Member
join:2002-07-22
Winterville, NC

gatorkram

Premium Member

I decided awhile ago, to switch back to our (read CL) dns servers. The first time I got the search page, I said, cool, I can turn this off. But it keeps coming back. Opting out simply doesn't work.

No idea why it doesn't stay opted out.

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

RVAguy to cville229035

Premium Member

to cville229035
Let me clarify - I wasn't stating the T&C's requires you to use CTL's DNS service, but rather countering the argument that stated that CTL's DNS redirect service wasn't part of his plan, or he's not receiving proper DNS. Basically, if you decide to use Centurylink's DNS services, then you are bound by the T&C's set forth in the privacy policy.

Online advertising
We may use advertising companies to deliver ads for CenturyLink-offered services and products on our Web sites or on third party Web sites. These online ads include, but are not limited to, banner ads. These online ads may contain third-party cookies or Web beacons that allow tracking of visitors' responses to our advertisements, which responses assist us in measuring the effectiveness of our ads. Although these third parties may receive anonymous Web usage information about ad viewing on such Web sites, we prohibit them from using this information in any manner contrary to the terms of this Policy.
biggerbyte7
join:2009-08-25
Porter, TX

biggerbyte7 to RVAguy

to RVAguy
Dude, you are so full of it, if I may he so blunt. Your statement does not even make any sense. We pay for a service, and that means ALL of it has to work. Improper DNS means faulty Internet service. We don't pay good money for defective anything. What if their were no alternatives? I finally gave up and started using Google DNS.

You are just silly.

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

2 edits

RVAguy

Premium Member

How am I full of it? I copy & pasted what was from the CTL website. Just by you using the service you agree to the T&C's. You may not think so, but it does. CTL can shut you down at anytime for whatever reason. They can also deliver ad content to you if you do an improper search. And to go the extreme, they could redirect you from any non-CTL DNS servers, to their own servers. It's CTL's network, don't like it, then find a new one... I don't understand why that is so hard to understand.

The only thing stopping a business from doing anything like that is the fact is that there is competition, so they walk a fine line of providing decent service and trying to make the most of the consumer without pissing them off too much.
sestrada6
join:2008-01-01

sestrada6

Dear DSL Tech,
they could redirect you from any non-CTL DNS servers, to their own servers
Where did you read this?

Can you post the link?

Thanks

RVAguy
Premium Member
Richmond, VA

1 edit

RVAguy

Premium Member

I didn't see it anywhere...what I am saying is that unless gov't forbids them to do so, the ToS are pretty open to allow them to do whatever they want with their network traffic. So its not a matter of them doing it...it just seems ToS are pretty clear.