SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Windows 7 and FIOS

I've just upgraded to Windows 7 64bit on a laptop that was running Vista 64. Now my ethernet network speed has dropped to the floor. Only D/L, U/L works okay.

What I've tried:

D/L OOL test64 on ethernet connection and get 85KB
D/L OOL test64 on wireless connection and get 2.8MB

So it sounds like the LAN card but wait there's more.

Transfer 120MB file from another computer on home network and:

ethernet gives me 9.2 MB
wireless gives me 2.6 MB

I've reset and rebooted the Actiontec with no effect. Installed that latest LAN driver.

FIOS optimizing program doesn't work for Win7.

Any suggestions on what to try?

Thanks!

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

Sounds like it may be a driver issue with the Ethernet interface. Try to get a true Windows7 version from the Ethernet interface manufacturer or your laptop vendor...the OS may be using something more generic right now.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

Thanks, as I said above I put in the latest driver. Actually, I used one from Windows, HP and finally the manufacturer.

What I don't get is, if it is the driver, why wouldn't it affect the speed from computer to computer. It just seems to affect the internet.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

Ok, someone with Windows7 experience is going to have to help on this one...I haven't upgraded yet. Probably some stupid setting...

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

That was the problem in trying to figure where to post. I don't know who's problem it is.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to SparkChaser

Premium Member

to SparkChaser
There have been a several reports of upload to the Internet issues with Windows 7 but nobody has reported anything on how to address them. I have a Windows 7 box and several Vista boxes and only the Windows 7 box can't get the "fluff" for the upload.

The fact you're having such major issues with download is pretty weird.

I would head on over to the official microsoft forums and post to the networking area:

»social.technet.microsoft ··· /threads

More information on your hardware would be nice (bran/model of laptop) and have you checked for bios/motherboard driver upgrades?
knordrw
join:2007-09-07
Bethel Park, PA
Greenwave FiOS-G1100
Actiontec WCB3000N

knordrw to SparkChaser

to SparkChaser
I've got Win 7 working on both my laptop and homebuilt desktop, with full upload/download, including the fluff. I was also able to get the optimizer to run, but it took some finagling.

1. Download and install the 32 bit version of Java - this will work in tandem with the 64 bit version, but only the 32 bit version works with the vz optimizer and speedtest site
2. Run the 32 bit version of IE in administrator mode - this part is the important one, as if you don't do this the active x won't ever load, but for some reason it doesn't ask for elevation - just keeps looping.

After I did that on both machines, I'm getting my full speeds on both - including wireless.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by knordrw:

I was also able to get the optimizer to run
Excellent! I know about a week or so ago, it wasn't working on my 32-bit Windows 7 box but I just got the "Your system's settings have been optimized!" message this time. Yay!

And now I'm seeing about 23mb/s upload to here »hydra.nac.uci.edu/indiv/ ··· oad.html

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser to knordrw

Premium Member

to knordrw
said by knordrw:

1. Download and install the 32 bit version of Java - this will work in tandem with the 64 bit version, but only the 32 bit version works with the vz optimizer and speedtest site
2. Run the 32 bit version of IE in administrator mode - this part is the important one, as if you don't do this the active x won't ever load, but for some reason it doesn't ask for elevation - just keeps looping.
I did the Java thing yesterday and I've been running as Administrator.

FIOSTV
@verizon.net

FIOSTV to SparkChaser

Anon

to SparkChaser
The one probelm i have with Windows 7 is printing on the home network. When you print from a sharded printer you have to restart the computer which the shared printer is on to print the dcoument form the other netwoked computer. any one havea fix for this.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

1 edit

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by FIOSTV :

The one probelm i have with Windows 7 is printing on the home network. When you print from a sharded printer you have to restart the computer which the shared printer is on to print the dcoument form the other netwoked computer. any one havea fix for this.
Your problem isn't FiOS-related in any way. Try over here: »Microsoft instead

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

SparkChaser

Premium Member

UPDATE Deux:

On a whim, I decided to check the router. I have an ethernet connection so I can swap routers.

Actiontec

Linksys

Sooooooo............. What in the Actiontec wouldn't like Win 7? I have it rebooted to standard settings. I didn't touch anything but the wireless settings.
WEShep
join:2006-05-03
Woodbury Heights, NJ

WEShep

One question when you swapped the router did you clone the MAC address or just swap them? If you didn't release and renew the MAC address, that might be your problem.

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by WEShep:

If you didn't release and renew the MAC address, that might be your problem.
That would explain not being able to get a DHCP address on the router being swapped-in. However, once a DHCP lease has been obtained, it would not explain poor speeds.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
Downingtown, PA

2 edits

SparkChaser

Premium Member

UPDATE

Think I have it working. I noticed that IP6 was set to tunnel on Verizons port. Shut that off and it seemed to help. Then I started playing with the MTU, it was set to auto. I played with some manual setting and finally set it to aoutomatic by DHCP. It appears a less consistant than my XP machine or the Vista before this but it gets to the 25/15 limits on some sites. (speedtest.net)

I still don't know why

WEShep
join:2006-05-03
Woodbury Heights, NJ

WEShep

Most of the tools from speedtest.net will now work with vista and windows 7 for better optimization, they can be extemely helpful when diagnosing problems. Although, they are both auto-tuning so to speak, you can make adjustments to MTU and all things with most of those tools, but don't over-do-it.