All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
motorcyclist
join:2009-11-24
West Covina, CA

motorcyclist to JohnA4

to JohnA4

Re: Need help setting up Westell 6100G modem...

Update:

- When I connected the modem directly to my computer and setting my computer's IP to static ip of 192.168.1.2 (same subnet as the modem's ip of 192.168.1.1), I was able to access the menus. However, when I put it back between the router and the wall jack and set my computer back to dynamic, it couldn't connect. My router is set to DHCP for the LAN with the subnet of 192.168.0.x so theoretically, it should be fine, but it isn't.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

said by motorcyclist:

Update:

- When I connected the modem directly to my computer and setting my computer's IP to static ip of 192.168.1.2 (same subnet as the modem's ip of 192.168.1.1), I was able to access the menus. However, when I put it back between the router and the wall jack and set my computer back to dynamic, it couldn't connect. My router is set to DHCP for the LAN with the subnet of 192.168.0.x so theoretically, it should be fine, but it isn't.
Ok.

I believe that the modem is in bridge mode.

Can you access the net with router, now?

Bytebender
Premium Member
join:2008-02-12
Canada

Bytebender to motorcyclist

Premium Member

to motorcyclist
When the 6100 is in bridge mode it's normal for the internet light to be out as the unit does not have a public IP.
It's also normal to not be able to access the GUI without directly connecting and setting up a static IP on the PC.
motorcyclist
West Covina, CA

motorcyclist to aefstoggaflm

to aefstoggaflm
Oh yes. I can access the net with the router -> 6100G -> wall jack just fine. I just couldn't access the modem's menus now, unless I connect it directly to my computer.

I guess I am fine now. I probably won't need to access the modem's menus that frequently anyway.

Thank you for all the help! You all are great!

-mike-
motorcyclist

motorcyclist to Bytebender

to Bytebender
said by Bytebender:

When the 6100 is in bridge mode it's normal for the internet light to be out as the unit does not have a public IP.
It's also normal to not be able to access the GUI without directly connecting and setting up a static IP on the PC.

Not that I need to access the GUI that frequently but I thought it's just weird.

From what I understand, when everything is in place (netgear -> modem -> wall jack), with netgear serving the subnet of 192.168.0.x , while the modem has the ip of 192.168.1.1, technically, when I connect to 192.168.1.1, the netgear will forward it to the modem as it's not in its subnet of 192.168.0.x and the modem is supposed to respond.

Anyway, now that it's connected to the net, I'm happy
Thanks again!
-mike-

Bytebender
Premium Member
Canada

Bytebender

Premium Member

said by motorcyclist:

From what I understand, when everything is in place (netgear -> modem -> wall jack), with netgear serving the subnet of 192.168.0.x , while the modem has the ip of 192.168.1.1, technically, when I connect to 192.168.1.1, the netgear will forward it to the modem as it's not in its subnet of 192.168.0.x and the modem is supposed to respond.
The request has to come from a device that has a 192.168.1.(2-254) IP, that's one catch.

Anyway glad it works, enjoy!
motorcyclist
West Covina, CA

motorcyclist

Thanks. I didn't know that!

If the request didn't come from the same subnet as the modem (in my case it comes from 192.168.0.x instead of 192.168.1.x) it won't respond?

Guess I will have to connect the dual cables as in 1 of the posts here to be able to get the DSL status while I'm online then...

Thanks again.
-mike-

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

said by motorcyclist:

Guess I will have to connect the dual cables as in 1 of the posts here to be able to get the DSL status while I'm online then...
Not sure if this is the one you mean, but here is an alternative to what you are doing now. »Get Modem Stats while Hooked Up to Router?
vandergraff2
join:2005-10-17

1 edit

vandergraff2

According to the linked post the NAT firewall of the router (linksys, netgear, etc) is not by passed in areas using pppOE - but is that still true in areas using DHCP. It would seem that in a DCHP area the firewall might be by-passed?

Bytebender
Premium Member
Canada

Bytebender

Premium Member

All I did was connect an old 10 base ethernet hub between the modem and the router and ran an ethernet cable from it to near a computer. When I want to check modem stats, I just change that computer's IP and plug in the ethernet cable from the hub for a minute.
motorcyclist
West Covina, CA

motorcyclist

Let's say I put in a hub on the modem like you said, with 1 cable going from the hub to the router then another cable going from the hub to my laptop.

Since my laptop has dual Enet. Let's say I set the wireless to use DHCP, which gets the Netgear router's subnet (192.168.0.x), then set the wired Enet to the modem's subnet of 192.168.1.x. Then when I access the web, I used the wireless. When I need to access the modem stat, I use the wired Enet?

But then how do I specifically tell my browser to go out using the wireless or wired when both Enets are active?

Thanks again.
-mike-
motorcyclist

motorcyclist

Ok, I think I can use the command line 'route' command to add routes to direct any traffic to any Enet interface. I'll give it a try after I find a hub...