uniqs
share rss forum feed

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper

join:2001-11-03
New Iberia, LA

1 edit

what do exterminators use to kill roaches

Our apartment get sprayed every month for those fun lil bugs called roaches. We (well, she ) have a cat and bird here. The bird is 2-5 feet off of the floor and the cat sleeps on the bed more than I do. She was worried about what effect the roach spray would have on the pets. The guy who came and did the spraying of the apartment said that there was nothing to worry about.

What do commercial exterminators use to kill off roaches?
--
Member of the US Air Force since May 7th, 2002 To March 29th, 2005

"You sneak up behind yourself and remove your pants before you realize what's going on." KOL

Lone Wolf
Almost Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1

Here's some info for you to peruse.

»www.roachextermination.info/

»www.wikihow.com/Get-Rid-of-Roaches

james1

join:2001-02-26
reply to chucky5150

said by chucky5150:

We [have] a bird here.
Birds are extremely sensitive to airborne chemicals and gasses. I really suggest asking your exterminator what he's using and using google or going to a hobby website related to your type of bird and asking them for advice.

Honestly, I'd be more worried about the effect the chemicals are having on me, plus I'd be finding another exterminator if he had to keep coming back month after month. He obviously isn't doing a very good job.
--
said by Metatron2008:

But people who download thousands of movies and games.... Yes, they are as bad as any murderer

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to chucky5150

Sugar water!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

said by The Pig:

Sugar water!

. . . and a hammer.

--
. . . seeking professional help . . .

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to chucky5150

Boric acid powder is relatively safe (RoachPrufe).

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to james1

said by james1:

....plus I'd be finding another exterminator if he had to keep coming back month after month. He obviously isn't doing a very good job.
That's not true, down south it's very common to have someone come every month for roaches. They are so common down there in many areas the best you can do is keep them to a minimum by having an exterminator once a month.
--
You can chain my body to the earth, but still my spirit flies!

KEEP THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF HEALTHCARE

14,448 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper

New Iberia, LA

1 edit
reply to chucky5150

The landlady has him come by every month to spray the whole place. It doesn't cost me anything.

We don't really have a roach problem here and I think that is a lot of the reason why. Just does a quick spray around the walls and that is it.

btw: the bird is a one and a half year old green conure
--

"You sneak up behind yourself and remove your pants before you realize what's going on." KOL

noomi

join:2001-04-14
Beverly Hills, FL
reply to chucky5150

I live in Fl. and have been using Bengal Gold for about 4 years now. Have 2 cats and they are still alive!
This stuff is great. It kills big and small roaches for up to 6 months. Price is steep (11.00) but a lot cheaper than having an exterminator every month!

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

said by james1:

....plus I'd be finding another exterminator if he had to keep coming back month after month. He obviously isn't doing a very good job.
That's not true, down south it's very common to have someone come every month for roaches. They are so common down there in many areas the best you can do is keep them to a minimum by having an exterminator once a month.
All it takes is one dirty person to get a whole complex infested with roaches and if its a big complex that is almost always assured there is at least one "dirty bird" in the place.
--
When I gez aju zavateh na nalechoo more new yonooz tonigh molinigh - Ken Lee

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
reply to chucky5150

said by chucky5150:

Our apartment get sprayed every month for those fun lil bugs called roaches. We (well, she ) have a cat and bird here. The bird is 2-5 feet off of the floor and the cat sleeps on the bed more than I do. She was worried about what effect the roach spray would have on the pets. The guy who came and did the spraying of the apartment said that there was nothing to worry about.

What do commercial exterminators use to kill off roaches?
i put banking soda EVERYWERE!!! and it wipedout 99.95% of them in a day

there was 10 to 20 visable roaches every day

now i only see one or two of them

they eat the baking soda(when they clean them selfs) then they *POP* (just like bubblewrap from gas that is made inside of them because they can not fart or burp)

it also drys them out like if they were eatting salt

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
reply to PrntRhd

said by PrntRhd:

May want to rethink that answer, especially if kids are present in the house.
»www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency···2485.htm
--
»www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
Reviews:
·Comcast

3 edits

You don't put it out where the kiddies can lick it, you dust it into cracks and crevices where the roaches come into contact with it. It gets on the roaches bodies and they clean it off themselves which kills them by dehydration when they get it inside them.
"Based on mammal median lethal dose (LD50) rating of 2,660 mg/kg body mass, boric acid is poisonous if taken internally or inhaled. However, it is generally considered to be not much more toxic than table salt."
Boric acid is also is in most fruits you eat.

No chemical fumes from dry boric acid, unlike fumigation bombs and spray petrochemical roach residual insecticides.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit
reply to The Pig

said by The Pig:

said by PrntRhd:

Sodium bicarbonate(baking soda) any safer?

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium

said by Anonymous_:

said by The Pig:

said by PrntRhd:

Sodium bicarbonate any safer?
You give your roachs Antacid? Clean up the rotten food laying around and you can save yourself a few bucks!

--
»www.ip-adress.com/ip_tracer/

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 edits

said by The Pig:

You give your roachs Antacid? Clean up the rotten food laying around and you can save yourself a few bucks!

they die from it!

Cockroaches have a very high acid content in their stomachs. When they ingest the sugar, and the baking soda along with it, the subsequent reaction between the soda and their natural make-up results in death.
source »www.servicemagic.com/article.sho···159.html

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper

New Iberia, LA
reply to chucky5150

I'm not looking at ways to save a few bucks. This already isn't costing anything.

I am trying to find out what chemicals they would spray so I can look up the affects on the bird / cat.

Thank you.
--

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3

You'd have to ask the exterminator exactly what he's using. There is more than one they can use, no one here will know what *your* exterminator is using.

tinhead

join:2000-07-12
New York, NY
Reviews:
·New York Connect
reply to chucky5150

I use Camicide. I have birds. It's natural. It works!
I've cut & pasted an ad for it below- (You can do a search yourself for 'Camicide')

Camicide "Classic" in 32oz bottles. Camicide contains Pyrethrins, known to be the safest way to manage pests in your bird room. Camicide Insecticide is a natural insecticide produced by certain species of the chrysanthemum plant. Camicide is safe to use around pets, though we suggest removing birds from areas while spraying and ventilating area well.

Besides this you should use 'expanding foam' and/or caulking and seal all the penetrations made by water pipes thru the walls in your bathrm & kitchen. That's where they come from usually. Spray the Camicide all around those areas too.
Good luck!

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to The Pig

said by The Pig:

said by PrntRhd:

Just because some page lists it as a "dangerous poison" doesn't mean that it's really that bad. Alcohol, acetone, Chlorox, ammonia, are actually more dangerous than boric acid. As it was already pointed out by PrntRhd, one would need to ingest quite a bit of boric acid for poisoning.
--
And the winner is:

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
reply to Anonymous_

said by Anonymous_:

[
they eat the baking soda(when they clean them selfs) then they *POP* (just like bubblewrap from gas that is made inside of them because they can not fart or burp)
You're wrong. Read this: »wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_true_th···_seconds
--
And the winner is:

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

said by aurgathor:

said by Anonymous_:

[
You're wrong. Read this: »wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_it_true_th···_seconds
anti acid = roaches dead

manfmmd
Premium
join:2003-01-14
Earth, TX
Reviews:
·CMA Access

Not only that, but the baking soda will kill other insects such as fleas, lice, and ants. We use it once a month prior to vacuuming. Let it sit for 5-10 minutes and you're good.
--
"The trouble with our Liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan