All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
joecotton
join:2009-06-25

joecotton

Cable modem rental fee?

I am looking into getting Suddenlink 8mbit service in Bryan, TX soon. I called Suddenlink to ask about pricing, etc. I asked if there was any rental fee for the cable modem or if the $34.99 "setup fee" included the purchase of the modem.

I was told that there were no other recurring fees other than the quoted service prices ($55 for 8mbit plus phone). (Of course there will be taxes, etc.)

I've read other posting on this SL forum here and seem mentions of buying a modem to avoid the lease fee.

Is the policy changed now, or was I being bamboozled?

Alarmpro
@cebridge.net

Alarmpro

Anon

Is the policy changed now, or was I being bamboozled?
I just got hooked up this week in Houston. The options were to:

1> provide my own modem
2> Buy one from Suddenlink $75/new $55/used
3> Rent one for $7.95/mo. It's the SMC modem/router/WIFI all-in-one.

I took option #3, but I think that won't last. The router configuration settings are crippled, bad. It comes with WEP enabled by default and no way to change it, even though the unit DOES support WPA2. There are many advanced options missing in the control panel.

Unless they have a special running in Aggieland, I'd say you 'done been' bamboozled, and should expect to see a rental fee on the monthly bill.

Gaff
Just like the gypsy woman said
join:1999-09-05
North TX, US

Gaff

They will love you for choosing option #3, that's really a cash cow for them.

I'd strongly advise anyone to buy their own modem and router (if needed) as they basically pay for themselves in a very short period of time.

Alarmpro
@cebridge.net

Alarmpro

Anon

I just found 2 modems while going through boxes (moving in). I think one of them belongs to them (SL) from another account. I'll see if I can use one of them.

I definitely need a better router. This SMC8014WN is locked down big time. I'll go back to a Linksys WRT52G, the new ones work great.

But yeah, option #3 is the sucker's choice. I got it with the intention of returning it. I didn't have my hands on the modems at install time, plus that's just one more thing to go wrong during the installation. The installer I got didn't appear very bright anyway

-- sorry about the thread-jack
joecotton

joecotton to Alarmpro

to Alarmpro
Thanks for the info. I wonder if the buy from Suddenlink for $75 is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem or not...

I'll have to keep calling until I get some accurate answers. The person I spoke with on the phone seemed eager to get me off the phone.
daroy990
join:2007-08-25
Lubbock, TX

daroy990 to joecotton

to joecotton
$75 is for the D3 modem - my D2 modem was $33 from SL.
Araiden
join:2008-04-12

Araiden

75 bucks isn't bad for a d3 modem . Look online you'll have a hard time finding one for cheaper than that. And you won't see them being sold in walmart, etc at least i haven't
joecotton

joecotton

So I ordered the 8meg service. They claimed to be running a special half-price deal on the modems; normal $75, now $37.50. It's a Motorola SB5101. The fellow I talked to said that there is no modem out there that would work with the 8meg service (docsis2) and also with the 20meg service if I later upgraded (docsis3).

I wasn't sure if I believed it, but I figure if I decide to upgrade later, there may even be more options for Doc3 modems.
anklosaur
join:2003-02-16
Tyler, TX
Netgear R6400
ARRIS SB6183

anklosaur

Best Buy, $99. Motorola SURFboard eXtreme SB6120. Available elsewhere I'm sure, perhaps even at a better price. Claims to be backwards compatible with all DOCSIS systems.

wrinkledink
@suddenlink.net

wrinkledink to joecotton

Anon

to joecotton
I bought this modem:
»www.neweggmall.com/Produ ··· -NA-_-NA

Seems to be working just fine.
I get up to 32mbps download and 1mbps upload.

I upgraded my connection to get that speed of course..