Search similar:

uniqs
ddasilva99
join:2007-02-20
Mississauga, ON

ddasilva99

[ Extreme] Dynamic or Static IP

Hello,

My sister has the Rogers Internet (10MBps) plan. Does Rogers provide users with static or dynamic IPs? Also, if my sister were to power cycle the cable modem would she receive a new IP everytime?

Thanks,
D
Arcturus
join:2008-04-18
London, ON

1 edit

Arcturus

Its a dynamic IP a power cycle will generally assign you the same IP address. (based on your previous assignment).

However rogers can (and will) change it anytime they see fit. (read whenever they do network maintenance on your node).

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

Rogers will not assign static IPs

metalhawk
join:2007-02-06
Nepean, ON

metalhawk

said by sbrook:

Rogers will not assign static IPs
While not static, it's not simple to get a new IP address. I once unplugged my modem all night, and when I reconnected it, I got the same IP address back. The easiest way I found to get a new address is to unplug the modem, then change your router's MAC address. New IP address every time.
Sanek
join:2006-08-10
Kanata, ON

Sanek to ddasilva99

to ddasilva99
Just like others have mentioned, its not a static IP, however I find that the IP changes so rarely that it can almost be considered static.

I probably had the same IP for a year now, obviously, as already mentioned, Rogers can change the IP at any time as they see fit.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to metalhawk

Mod

to metalhawk
Although I haven't tried changing IPs lately, I did try at one point, and used the mechansim of changing MACs ... Several times, it still gave me the same IP, then it changed once and the very next reboot of the system, it went back to the same old IP!

It has changed several times since.
BobSagget
join:2005-06-23
Barrie, ON

BobSagget to ddasilva99

to ddasilva99
Changing IPs via mac cloning on your router works so incredibly well for me.

Whenever I want it changed I just add a digit to the very end of the mac address I am currently using as a clone.

Basically if my current cloned address ends in 20 i change it to 21, than next time 22, and just keep going up.

Takes about 30 seconds to get a new IP from rogers. I just save the router settings, quickly unplug the modem and plug it back in (2-3 seconds unplugged max).

I plug it in and wait for the modem to cycle up...about 20 - 30 seconds later I have a new IP.

(it works every time...as I do it often)

Tordek7
Make the outages go away
Premium Member
join:2009-09-07
Great White

Tordek7 to ddasilva99

Premium Member

to ddasilva99
In my experience from the field i see multiple ways and methods of customers changing their IP's. The most common error most make is running a software program to clone and or change their MAC on their NIC. This almost never works because the software needs to start when your computer starts.. And if your LAN service connects BEFORE your PC is started then your old MAC was submitted for the IP and not your new MAC.

The most effective way i have seen is to use your router or gateway (router aspect) to clone the IP of that device. Just like alex has mentioned. (For those using gateways if you manage ((and it's possible) to clone the MAC of the gateway itself then don't expect to get online )

BUT... if you are using this as a way to get around megavideo's 72 min limit or get onto that gaming server that banned you then no problem. If you have done electronical damage to a company or anyone who cares enough to file a computer crimes police report then, Cloning your MAC and changing your IP will NOT hide your tracks. The backend will still have a record of the last X IP's assigned.

What i always done was unscrew Coax, p/c, verify 169 IP, connect coac, p/c, verify valid IP (Direct connection)
Or Exactly what alex said when using a router.
And a gateway, really depends on the version you have