All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
matt13
join:2006-08-11
San Diego, CA

matt13

AT&T Elite DSL package, but I think I'm being capped badly.

I'm staying at my mom's house for a while and I noticed her ATT DSL was very slow. She's paying for the Elite package, but every speed test I run here or speedtest.net or 2wire.com shows she's getting ~1mbps. These results are consistant every time.

I've been on the phone with tech support and they can offer no explanation and tier-2 tech support's only solution is to send a tech out. I'm not sure what they plan to accomplish because the internet works fine. Line quality test was all green with 100ms ping to the east coast, the line isn't dropping any packets, it's just slow.

We're kinda ticked off here because my mom's been paying for Elite DSL for 4 years and has only been getting 1/6 the speed she should be.

I'm not sure what kind of info you guys need, but any help is appreciated considering ATT tech support is a joke.
matt13

matt13

We're using a 2wire 2700HG-B modem/router. All the lights are green and normal.

No sync problems at all.
matt13

matt13

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: T1.413
Downstream Rate: 1472 kbps
Upstream Rate: 448 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 6.0 dB (Downstream) 6.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 63.0 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 15.0 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Id: {22} Rev: {0x01} Std: {0x01}
PVC Info: 0/35

Internet Connection Details
Connection Type: PPPoE
Username: removed
Internet Address: removed
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.255
Default Gateway: 71.146.15.254
Primary Domain Name Server: 68.94.156.1
Secondary Domain Name Server: 68.94.157.1
Domain:
Maximum Transmission Unit (MTU): 1492
Gateway Ping: Successful
DNS Communication: Successful
Configuration Server Post: Successful
daveinpoway
Premium Member
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA

1 edit

daveinpoway

Premium Member

Your noise margins are very low, and the downstream attenuation is very high. I'm surprised that you aren't losing sync periodically.

Connect the modem directly to your NID and post the line statistics again. This will determine whether the problem(s) are with your internal house wiring or your connection to AT&T.

Here is a guide (borrowed from another forum) regarding how to test at the NID: »EarthLink DSL FAQ »How do I test at my NID? What does it look like?

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to matt13

MVM

to matt13
said by matt13:

DSL Connection Details
Current Noise Margin: 6.0 dB (Downstream) 6.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 63.0 dB (Downstream) 31.5 dB (Upstream)
I concur with daveinpoway See Profile. Those numbers are lousy. If you don't have IW issues (trouble on the premises), then you are just too far out for the Elite profile. Might have to drop back a tier, or two.
assass3n1
join:2009-12-28
Dallas, TX

assass3n1

I to have att Elite package. I was getting average download speeds of 585 KBs - 600 kbs. Now I get consistent speeds of 60 - 70 kbs. This happened out of the blue. I didn't install any new software at all. I don't know how to post relative info needed for help. I also have a dual boot system with xp and windows 7, and this speed problem is with both. How do i post the info you guys will need to help me with this problem. How can I tell if I'm capped.
efflandt
join:2002-01-25
Elgin, IL

efflandt

2700HG-B's have been known to fail like that. Mine suddenly had trouble syncing when 6 months old. It might take 15 minutes if it sync'd at all and then download sync would be 256 kbps, while upload was normal 768. Download attenuation was also very high like reported by Matt13. But my old 5360 modem would sync in a few seconds and speed test at 5 Mbps.

Warranty replacement 2701HG-B has been working for years without issue.

Typical specs:

DSL Line (Wire Pair):  	Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 6016 kbps
Upstream Rate: 768 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 16.0 dB (Downstream) 18.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 18.3 dB (Downstream) 8.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 11.6 dBm (Downstream) 11.9 dBm (Upstream)
psionit
join:2003-05-23
Tarzana, CA

psionit to matt13

to matt13
Im having the same problem, except I have the express package. I always had a constant 160kbs on this package. This week out of no where my speed was cut in half.

Im going to contact them and see whats up.
psionit

psionit to matt13

to matt13
Just a quick update. David from the att direct forums told me that my outdoor seicor pots splitter maybe dying, so im going to replace it and see how it goes.