Search similar:

uniqs

obeythelaw
Premium Member
join:2003-04-16
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

[AT&T] leaving a voicemail without dialing on att?

i was trying to leave a voicemail for someone because i didn't want to wake them but wanted them to have the voicemail when they saw the phone. i'm on att with an iphone. i always remembered when i was with verizon and cingular previously, that i could dial my voicemail number and then hit "leave a message" or something similar, dial the number i wanted to leave a message and that was it. i tried numerous times last night but that option never came up! is it because i'm on an iphone or does att not allow that anymore? it comes in handy sometimes and it's a pain if i can't do it. the other person is also on att who i was trying to leave a vm for.

KevNYC
Premium Member
join:2002-03-31
Seattle, WA

KevNYC

Premium Member

Check out SlyDial, works on all carriers.

»www.slydial.com/

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

yeah, was reading about that. i preferred not going through a third party to send a vm. i'm really curious why i can't do it directly through att anymore.
obeythelaw

obeythelaw

Premium Member

it appears after doing more digging that att now puts those features in enhanced voice mail and not basic. can anyone on att confirm this? if you dial your voicemail does it give you the option of sending a voice mail to another phone number?

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
Scummy politicians do this at election time... should be illegal.
gregz1
join:2009-10-01

gregz1 to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
If you have ATT, you can actually use your voice mail to leave a message for someone else on their voicemail#. Howard forums has a list of access numbers on their site.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
said by obeythelaw:

it appears after doing more digging that att now puts those features in enhanced voice mail and not basic. can anyone on att confirm this? if you dial your voicemail does it give you the option of sending a voice mail to another phone number?
I only have the basic voice mail, and I have explicitly dialed the voicemail number several times recently and left a voicemail for another AT&T user with no problems. I have done this from an AT&T cell phone and also from a Vonage VoIP line.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

said by obeythelaw:

I only have the basic voice mail, and I have explicitly dialed the voicemail number several times recently and left a voicemail for another AT&T user with no problems. I have done this from an AT&T cell phone and also from a Vonage VoIP line.
hmm...the only thing i can guess is that because i'm on the iphone, the voice mail system is a bit different.
gregz1
join:2009-10-01

gregz1

said by obeythelaw:

said by NetFixer:

said by obeythelaw:

hmm...the only thing i can guess is that because i'm on the iphone, the voice mail system is a bit different.
It is the same voice mail system. There is no difference.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

for those on att, can you tell me what option you are pressing to get that option?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

3 edits

1 recommendation

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by obeythelaw:

for those on att, can you tell me what option you are pressing to get that option?
When I call from an AT&T cellphone, I get a voice menu that starts with: Press 1 to listen, Press 2 to send...... Pressing 2 allows me to send a voicemail to one (or more) AT&T users.

When calling from a non-AT&T cellphone, I have the option (no menu number, it is the default action) to immediately enter the AT&T cellphone number for which I wish to leave a voice mail, or press the # key to enter my own phone number to access my voicemail.

Perhaps this AT&T knowledge base article will help you:
Access Voicemail and Use the Voicemail Menu Options

Here is a flowchart extracted from the above article:

You will notice that there is a [(2) Send a Message] option at the main menu. And FYI, this Knowledge Base article was linked from the iPhone support section of the AT&T Mobility web site.

burgerwars
join:2004-09-11
Northridge, CA

burgerwars to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
Try 323-229-6017, which is the number my cellphone dials when holding down the 1. When dialing from a non AT&T cell, you'll get a "Welcome to AT&T Voicemail" message, asking to enter the number of the person you wish to reach.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw to NetFixer

Premium Member

to NetFixer
i appreciate the flow chart. however, that is not working for me. i think i will have to call att. when i dial the number 1 to get to my voicemail the only option i have is to listen to messages and then to press 4 for personal options. hitting 2 just says something like "incorrect key." Hitting personal options lets me change greeting, etc. but no way to send a message.

joako
Premium Member
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null

joako to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
I have the option too and I certainly do not have the enhanced voicemail.

When you call your voicemail it dials a normal 10 digit phone number. If you call that number from a non AT&T phone (or AT&T landline) it will let you leave a message.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

so i have to call from a non att phone to send a message to another att cell phone? again, for those that have it working, are you calling from your att cell phone? if so, are you are also using an iphone?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by obeythelaw:

so i have to call from a non att phone to send a message to another att cell phone? again, for those that have it working, are you calling from your att cell phone? if so, are you are also using an iphone?
As I previously posted, it works both ways for me. From my AT&T cellphone or from any other telephone. I have not tested it using an iPhone, but the AT&T Mobility web site iPhone support pages imply that you should get the same
Press 1 to listen...
Press 2 to send...
Blah, blah...
menu selections that I get from my Samsung Sync. In fact, the help links and flow chart I previously posted were from the AT&T Mobility iPhone support pages.

What is the number that is dialed when you press and hold "1" to access voicemail? I don't know about the iPhone, but I can find that number listed in my phonebook and also in the outgoing call log. Are you sure that you are actually using the AT&T Mobility voicemail and not some third party voicemail? Perhaps some app you installed changed your voicemail provider? Or perhaps some push message changed your voicemail provider? You really have to be careful about spam push messages, some of them will look just like an AT&T push message.

obeythelaw
Premium Member
Warren, NJ

obeythelaw

Premium Member

when i dial 1 it says "voicemail" but the voicemail number does not appear in my list of calls made.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

I don't have any answers, but I do have a few more questions (which hopefully might lead to some answers.

Do you have a Voicemail entry in your iPhone phonebook?

Do you have/use the iPhone Visual Voicemail feature?

Have you contacted AT&T support to ask why you do not get the option to send a voicemail directly to an AT&T customer's message queue? I think that is the first thing I would have done once I had established from AT&T's own web site support pages that this is supposed to be a standard feature even on an iPhone.

pa555
Seconds Last
join:2001-05-11
Monrovia, CA

pa555 to obeythelaw

to obeythelaw
Like I call my voicemail using my cell: Press 2 to send a message, at the beep record message, then press #, enter number to send message & press # then press # again to send message....

I tried to send to a Verizon number, but it didn't work. I sent it to my cell number with out area code & didn't work because the area code for my voicemail is not the same as the area code for my cell number. So I tried again using my area code + number and it worked fine....

Paul

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by pa555:

Like I call my voicemail using my cell: Press 2 to send a message, at the beep record message, then press #, enter number to send message & press # then press # again to send message....

I tried to send to a Verizon number, but it didn't work. I sent it to my cell number with out area code & didn't work because the area code for my voicemail is not the same as the area code for my cell number. So I tried again using my area code + number and it worked fine....

Paul
yeah you can't send VM from an ATT phone to a Verizon because they are on different VM systems.
RiseAbove

RiseAbove to obeythelaw

Premium Member

to obeythelaw
ATT does let you back door the system by calling someones voicemail box directly and leaving a message, people I know do it all the time. I don't remember the codes but you can find them on the net pretty easily.