join:2001-06-01
Outland
kudos:2
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..

Is Microsoft Technet ok to use for my family PC's?

I'm thinking of getting a Microsoft Technet subscription, and using it to update the Operating systems on my family PC's. I've read in various forums that up to 10 licenses are permitted per product. All the PC's are in my name (I bought them from Dell and they are in my home). Though most are used by family members other than myself.

It would be a lot less expensive to obtain the 9 Windows 7 license keys from Technet instead of buying them as OEM keys from an online store.

I do not want to violate the Windows Technet license. None of these PC's would be used for commercial purpose.

Is this a lawful use of Microsoft Technet? I understand the PC's could not be sold or given away with the Technet OS installed.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

LoPhatPhuud
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2002-01-06
Albuquerque, NM
kudos:26
Sorry, Technet software is for evaluation and testing purposes only. It is not to be used in a production environment, which would be your case.

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
That is widely debatable, the licensing terms are vague and according to Microsoft directly, as long as you aren't running, supporting, operating a business with the TechNet software, you are within your legal rights to use and evaluate the software however you see fit and for as long as necessary. This is what they will tell you if you call them up.

amazingm
Premium
join:2001-07-16
USA

1 recommendation

reply to pandora
Why not get Family licenses? At $149 for 3 PCs, it is much cheaper than buying OEM.

»www.microsoft.com/windows/offers···ack.aspx

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON

1 recommendation

Buying 3 family licenses would cost over $400 (3 x 3 licenses) which would easily surpass the technet license fee.

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to amazingm
said by amazingm:

Why not get Family licenses? At $149 for 3 PCs, it is much cheaper than buying OEM.

»www.microsoft.com/windows/offers···ack.aspx
My problem as has been stated by mlerner is I have 9 PC's, and would require 3 sets of licenses. I'd also like to get at least the student version of MS Office 2007 for my daughter which is on sale at Amazon for $59 currently.

If I wouldn't break any law, I'd have preferred to use Technet as my reading of the TOS was the software wasn't to be used commercially or for profit and only on computers the Technet subscriber owned. I do own all the PC's in my home, I have directly purchased each and every one.

Use for evaluation seemed a bit vague. Microsoft seems to provide a perpetual license for Technet software, which can be used after the annual subscription expires. I'd assume as a home user, I'm always evaluating Microsoft software.

Though I may have to follow your suggestion, as I wish to legally acquire any software used in my home. Perhaps I was overly optimistic in reading the Technet TOS. I posted here in case that was the case.
--
"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use."

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC
kudos:12
reply to pandora
Psst, Microsoft Action Pack Subscription (MAPS) is what you want. $299/year and you are entitled to 10 licenses. However, neither the Technet or MAPS entitles you to run it on non-business computers.

»partner.microsoft.com/US/program···40112699

said by MAPS :
With the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription (MAPS), you’re entitled to internal-use software for running your business, developing applications, and testing new solutions. These licenses may not be resold or used for personal reasons.
--
trafficcloak.com - pptp/sstp vpn services

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
TechNet is not restricted to business or corporate per say. MAPS is however for internal business use only.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC
Here is the Technet License: »technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subs···422.aspx

Note the following from section 2b:

said by Section 2.b :
One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. If the evaluation software comes with its own license agreement, this agreement will control. If that other license agreement gives you additional rights that do not conflict with express limitations in this agreement, you also have those rights.
That would seem to preclude installing it on more than one machine and for anything other than evaluation purposes.
--
Expand your moderator at work

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
reply to pandora

Re: Is Microsoft Technet ok to use for my family PC's?

MAPS is indeed designed for a business and if you qualify (not hard to do) it is a GREAT asset. Technet is also intended for use on as many machines as they will give you keys for. The keys typically work for up to 10 activations and they will give you up to 20 keys (the key claimer module now tells you how many you are allotted and how many you have claimed). That right there tells me it is intended for use on multiple computers.

Now the catch to Technet and I think you already get this is that it is licensed to the PERSON, not the machine. At least that's the way I read the license to be a couple of years ago. Basically if you are not the primary user of that machine you shouldn't put a Technet license on it. Not sure how they handle ownership of the machine vs primary user.

For what it's worth I use a Technet subscription on all my machines, desktop, laptop and server alike. The laptops and servers don't really fall under the "evaluation" aspect of the license but my desktops sure do. About a month ago I replaced a Vista Technet license with a Win7 32-bit Technet license. I'm now considering replacing Win7 32-bit with 64-bit. If that isn't "evaluation", I don't know what is.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by JoelC707:

Not sure how they handle ownership of the machine vs primary user.
Definitely 'user' and not 'owner'.

(Otherwise when a company owns 10 PCs with 10 different users...)

jhboricua
ExMod 2000-01
join:2000-06-06
Minneapolis, MN
reply to JoelC707
said by JoelC707:

MAPS is indeed designed for a business and if you qualify (not hard to do) it is a GREAT asset.
That is correct but it is a big IF, lol. From the MAPS page:

Entities that do not qualify to enroll as Registered Members of the Microsoft Partner Network include nonprofit organizations, academic institutions, students, government offices, or commercial businesses whose primary focus is not IT-related.

That reduces the number of eligible businesses considerably, unless you 'cheat' the definition of what a 'businesses whose primary focus is IT' is.
--
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe." - Albert Einstein
Jose A. Hernandez * System Engineer * MPLS, Minnesota, USA *

drakus

join:2002-07-12
Valparaiso, IN
reply to pandora
Notes
Software included in TechNet Plus Subscriptions is provided with rights to evaluate. Licensed users may install included content on any number of devices for evaluation purposes only. Only the licensed subscriber may use the included products. Please see the product use rights or license terms for TechNet Plus Subscriptions for more details.
TechNet Plus Subscriptions offers current, pre-release and certain older versions of these products. The information is representative and not comprehensive. Products, versions, and availability are subject to change.

There is your answer... They key words are "evaluation purposes only"

csiemers

join:2000-09-16
Portland, OR
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by drakus:

There is your answer... They key words are "evaluation purposes only"
I'm afraid that Microsoft is very open about their TechNet subscription (which I think is good) and really only they can fine tune their requirements if they so desire.

After all what you define "evaluation" as and what I do could be 2 completely different things.
--
»www.wwiivehicles.com

World War II Vehicles and Advanced Squad Leader

beerbum
Premium
join:2000-05-06
Reading, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to Matt3
said by Matt3:

That would seem to preclude installing it on more than one machine and for anything other than evaluation purposes.
if that is the case, then why in some cases, such as operating systems, does Technet give you up to 10 licenses for every version?

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
reply to pandora
I would use it and not worry about it. You are getting legit CD keys and activations, what else counts? Does it make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside that you paid Microsoft more money? They say now the Vista OEM EULA you can not buy it yourlself to use in your own PC only for resale. What if they said you can only use it on Tuesdays when there is a full moon? Where do you draw the line?

I've bought legit copies of Windows and then they say I have activated "too man times" -- I'd rather buy a TechNet every few years than buy a copy of a program that's going to stop working anyways.
--
PRescott7-2097

tahoejeff
Premium
join:2001-07-01
Wisconsin Dells, WI

1 edit
reply to pandora
Are you taking into account the annual renewal costs for Technet?
Once you buy the Windows 7 retail licenses you can transfer them to new computers if needed, and won't have another expense until you feel the need to upgrade to a new operating system.

So you buy 3 copies of the family pack for $450 and use it for...5 years. Over the same 5 years, Technet would cost at least $750 if they don't raise the price.
Act fast, as we don't know how long the family pack will be available. I see Amazon still has it.
Edit: my math was off. If you pay $250/yr for Technet, 5 yrs would be $1250.
--
The Geek Shall Inherit the Earth

joako
Premium
join:2000-09-07
/dev/null
kudos:6
said by tahoejeff:

Once you buy the Windows 7 retail licenses you can transfer them to new computers if needed, and won't have another expense until you feel the need to upgrade to a new operating system.
Or Microsoft says you can't use it anymore. Even once it is installed it can ask you to reactivate and that reactivation request can be denied.
--
PRescott7-2097

billh491

join:2001-08-09
Pomfret Center, CT
reply to pandora
If you do buy look around for coupon codes I found one for 20% off when I joined. Also an over looked fact is you can call MS twice a year for a support call which you can not do with an OEM copy. If you need to make even one call it would pay for the whole thing right there.

mlerner
Premium
Nepean, ON
reply to tahoejeff
said by tahoejeff:

Don't need to renew. They allow you to keep the licenses after your subscription expires.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium
Jamestown, NC

1 edit
reply to beerbum
said by beerbum:

said by Matt3:

if that is the case, then why in some cases, such as operating systems, does Technet give you up to 10 licenses for every version?
As someone else noted, a single user can install it for evaluation purposes on as many machines as they like, but only a single user can use it. It was terrible wording on my part.
--

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
reply to pandora
so if i install windows 7 with my technet subscription on 4 computers after 3 months they will all quit functioning??

I mean I guess I can't complain as I only paid $150 for the subscription on ebay.

maartena
Elmo
Premium
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to pandora
As others have said, Technet is for evaluation purposes only. That said, Microsoft Engineers themselves have said that they totally understand that an IT person would use Technet inside their own house, and they have freely admitted that they do it themselves as well with their Technet account.

So in essence, the license doesn't technically allow it, but it is generally not looked down upon by Microsoft. Also, the activation codes are 100% identical to Retail versions of the product, so there is no way that they can "single out" all the Technet installs.

So YES, I have a technet account, and I use it for my home installs.
--
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

pandora
Premium
Outland
Reviews:
·ooma
·Google Voice
·Comcast
·Future Nine Corp..
said by maartena:

As others have said, Technet is for evaluation purposes only. That said, Microsoft Engineers themselves have said that they totally understand that an IT person would use Technet inside their own house, and they have freely admitted that they do it themselves as well with their Technet account.

So in essence, the license doesn't technically allow it, but it is generally not looked down upon by Microsoft. Also, the activation codes are 100% identical to Retail versions of the product, so there is no way that they can "single out" all the Technet installs.

So YES, I have a technet account, and I use it for my home installs.
Thank you so much, I was hoping for a response like this. Do you have any links on the Technet forum about this?
--

actor90
Never a dull moment
Premium
join:2003-07-21
Jackson, NJ
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Comcast

1 recommendation

reply to pandora
Also, remember TechNet includes almost all of Microsoft's products including ten licenses for each version of Microsoft Office, and first crack at beta versions of new products like Office 2010 and Windows 7. I find the subscription more then worth the price.
--
My Blog on blogspot.com

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to JoelC707
Here is a question: How do updates work for these evaluations? I do know that technet is unlimited use - but once that year is up, do the windows updates halt too?

jbgroup1
Non Conformist
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Dayton, MD
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
Legally, you must pay for an annual subscription to continue use of the software. In practice the software will not stop and updates will continue. I have had a one year subscription to MAPS and while I no longer use the software from that purchase it was in use for several years and updates continued.
--
I gotcha boy hangin'. You no business, born, insecure, junkyard M****f***!

Dragonfly47

@comcast.net
reply to tahoejeff
said by tahoejeff:

So you buy 3 copies of the family pack for $450 and use it for...5 years. Over the same 5 years, Technet would cost at least $750 if they don't raise the price.
Act fast, as we don't know how long the family pack will be available. I see Amazon still has it.
Edit: my math was off. If you pay $250/yr for Technet, 5 yrs would be $1250.
You're assuming that your Technet version of Windows 7 becomes inoperable unless you renew your annual subscription. It doesn't.

Dragonfly47

@comcast.net
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Here is a question: How do updates work for these evaluations? I do know that technet is unlimited use - but once that year is up, do the windows updates halt too?
No. Update doesn't differentiate between a Technet and a retail version.