Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
join:2003-07-20
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to BACONATOR26

Premium Member

to BACONATOR26

Re: Is Microsoft Technet ok to use for my family PC's?

Here is the Technet License: »technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 422.aspx

Note the following from section 2b:
said by Section 2.b :
One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. If the evaluation software comes with its own license agreement, this agreement will control. If that other license agreement gives you additional rights that do not conflict with express limitations in this agreement, you also have those rights.
That would seem to preclude installing it on more than one machine and for anything other than evaluation purposes.

beerbum
Premium Member
join:2000-05-06
behind you..
Motorola MB8600
ARRIS TG862
Asus RT-AC5300

1 edit

beerbum

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

That would seem to preclude installing it on more than one machine and for anything other than evaluation purposes.
if that is the case, then why in some cases, such as operating systems, does Technet give you up to 10 licenses for every version?

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

1 edit

Matt3

Premium Member

said by beerbum:
said by Matt3:

if that is the case, then why in some cases, such as operating systems, does Technet give you up to 10 licenses for every version?
As someone else noted, a single user can install it for evaluation purposes on as many machines as they like, but only a single user can use it. It was terrible wording on my part.

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
ProCurve (HP) V1810-24g
SonicWALL TZ215
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

1 edit

izy to Matt3

MVM

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

Here is the Technet License: »technet.microsoft.com/en ··· 422.aspx

Note the following from section 2b:
said by Section 2.b :
One user may install and use copies of the evaluation software listed in the COMPONENTS.TXT file, even if you obtained a server license. You may use the evaluation software only to evaluate it. You may not use it in a live operating, in a staging environment or with data that has not been sufficiently backed up. If the evaluation software comes with its own license agreement, this agreement will control. If that other license agreement gives you additional rights that do not conflict with express limitations in this agreement, you also have those rights.
I've been "evaluating" TechNet server/desktop software for years at home.

"Software is licensed for evaluation purposes only—not for use in production environments."

I don't consider my home a "production" environment.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3

Premium Member

said by izy:

Unfortunately, Microsoft does.

maartena
Elmo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-10
Orange, CA

maartena

Premium Member

said by Matt3:

said by izy:

Microsoft doesn't mind if a bunch of IT freaks and freakettes test their products at home. Their own engineers use Technet at home too, and have frequently admitted to it in blogs.

izy
MVM
join:2000-09-21
endless loop
ProCurve (HP) V1810-24g
SonicWALL TZ215
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-LR

izy to Matt3

MVM

to Matt3
said by Matt3:
said by izy:

How is my home/testing environment considered production by Microsoft? I am constantly "testing" various Microsoft products. I do this in my home/test environment because if something "breaks" it causes no harm/loss of productivity to anyone but me. I am not using these products for financial gain...(other completing my tax return, which some might consider a financial loss!)

I use this knowledge gained by testing MS products in my home/test environment and apply them in the real world where customers actually purchase these same MS products I am testing and recommend to them.

I highly doubt MS is going to have an issue with that.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to Matt3

Premium Member

to Matt3
said by Matt3:

said by izy:

No they don't.

Matt3
All noise, no signal.
Premium Member
Jamestown, NC

Matt3 to maartena

Premium Member

to maartena
said by maartena:
said by Matt3:
said by izy:

Microsoft doesn't mind if a bunch of IT freaks and freakettes test their products at home. Their own engineers use Technet at home too, and have frequently admitted to it in blogs.
Testing at home and using it as your primary OS are two completely different things.