how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ReggieMann

join:2006-04-17
Plano, TX

[Speed Problem] DSL Speed drops at night & DSL goes in and out s

For the last week my DSL speed has been dropping at night (after 4pm) I have noticed some web pages load real slow. In the morning (before 6am when I leave for work) my DSL speed is fine.

Also, when I am not having the dropped speed problem every 2-3 weeks my DSL will go in and out every 15 minutes. The Self Support tool is not much help.

Answers to questions:
1) Which AT&T DSL Package do you have –
Elite (6.0Mbps down)

2) Which modem brand and model do you have?
Speedstream 5100 with 5 lights

3) Are you using a router?
no

4) Is your PPPoE login info (username & password) entered in the modem, in your router or do you use PPPoE software?
I don't know>>

5) Describe the lights on the modem when the trouble occurs.
The Activity light blinks very slow when my speed drops

6) Confirm that you’ve checked to ensure that ALL devices plugged into the wall jacks serviced by your DSL phone number (except the DSL modem) have filters fitted.
Yes

7) Confirm that you’ve powered off the modem and started it again and whether or not that made any changes with your problem.
Speed problem - no
In and Out problem - sometimes but only temporarily

8) Do you hear any type of noise on the DSL phone line or any other unusual telephone symptoms?
no

9) Provide line stats as follows…

a) From Speedstream 5100b, 4100, 4100b -- Go to this address with your browser – »192.168.0.1/statistics.htm and copy/paste the contents of the first two tables into your post
Statistics

ADSL Information
Line State UP
Modulation G.dmt
Data Path fast

To Modem To Internet
Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 6016 768
SN Margin (dB) 5.0 -
Line Attenuation (dB) 32.5 -
Loss of Signal 0 -
Loss of Frame 0 0
CRC Errors 3038 6

10) If you have a speed problem, use the AT&T Speed Test here -- »helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/ and post your results.
Sunday 11/29 7:02pm
Your Throughput

Download = 887.30 kbps
Upload = 686.22 kbps

Your throughput results were sent successfully. Here is your reference number if you need to call Technical Support #2094982. Thank you

Monday 11/30 2:22am
Your Throughput

Download = 5.080 Mbps
Upload = 641.53 kbps

Your throughput results were sent successfully. Here is your reference number if you need to call Technical Support #2095467. Thank you.

Monday 11/30 5:38pm
Your Throughput

Download = 366.90 kbps
Upload = 663.12 kbps

Your throughput results were sent successfully. Here is your reference number if you need to call Technical Support #2096676. Thank you.

Please let me know if you need any other info.
Thanks!!

BeaverHunter

join:2001-01-03
Palmdale, CA

Re: [Speed Problem] DSL Speed drops at night & DSL goes in and o

heres another thread on this issue

»Download speeds very slow.

link626

join:2003-10-06
los angeles

1 edit
reply to ReggieMann

it isn't only you.

probably everyone in the los angeles area and county is having a similar problem.

ATT just needs to do a damn tune up with their switches and their central offices.

they're collecting more and more money with our monthly dues, but never upgrading or maintaining any hardware, it seems.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:11
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to ReggieMann

One of your speed test results suggests congestion:

Monday 11/30 5:38pm
Your Throughput

Download = 366.90 kbps
Upload = 663.12 kbps
Both the numbers, and the time of day. If I recall right, my D/L numbers were off during high use hours in the afternoon a few years back. I posted in the (then SBC) AT&T Direct forum, and was switched to a different aggregation router. Worth a shot, anyway.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

daveinpoway
Premium
join:2006-07-03
Poway, CA
kudos:2

The 5.0 dB downstream noise margin will definitely contribute to a loss of sync from time to time. Even when the modem is in sync, it will likely have trouble delivering the proper speeds, since it is using a lot of its resources on error correction.

In my opinion, the noise margin should be raised to a considerably higher figure before requesting any aggregation router changes.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to ReggieMann

please provide information.

»You guys still having problems with the packet loss?

ReggieMann

join:2006-04-17
Plano, TX

Hi David,

Yes I am having the same problem.
What information do you need? Do you want me to post in the AT&T Direct Forum?

Thanks

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
reply to ReggieMann

need a topic in the direct forum if you don't have one already, click on the link above and follow the directions.