Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..

1 edit

Odd direct TV installation

Click for full size
Yesterday I was assigned to patrol a townhouse property and during a foot patrol I noticed this by a Direct TV installer. The resident of this townhouse asked me why I was taking this pic so I explained BBR to him and this forum, in which, he happily agreed to allow me to post this (it was his stuff at his residence so I thought it would be proper to ask first even though the stuff is in a common area), and I think we may have a new member to BBR here soon.

So I asked the resident if this was a self install or did an installer do this job. He told me this was done by an installer Direct TV had sent out to him.

Even though there is stuff from Direct TV and other services mounted to the side of the building, the doof installer chose the drain spout that usually gets replaced every 2 years on average at these properties for this part.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
kudos:1
unfortunately it isn't all that odd... I have a co-worker that DirecTV did this, but his is in the attic. Basically dual HDTV feeds to every TV for dual tuners. This is actually somewhat neat looking compaired

mdaddyrabbit
Premium
join:2004-02-05
Clinton, NC
kudos:2
reply to Cthen
I agree that this is very neat but I would not want it mounted to the down-spout. I would make them move it next to the spout and run the wires behind the spout. I had 2 new receivers added about 2 years ago and the installer ran the wires through the air vent in the foundation of the house. I didn't know this until they left. This issue with this is, when I want to close or open the vent I was unable to do that. I called Directv and explained to them what had happen and they told me that they would move it but it would cost me a fee. I just about came unglued. I said this is unacceptable and told them to connect me to the department to disconnect my service and they changed their tune and decided to fix their screw up.

I would ask them to change this method if it were mine. Maybe you should point this out to someone that could have it changed.

SpoutFrenzy

@sbcglobal.net
reply to Cthen
Somewhat curious why you would need to replace drain spouts every 2 years?

adam9280

join:2005-01-02
Rochester, MI
Because someone keeps drilling holes and attaching stuff to them.

SpoutFrenzy

@sbcglobal.net
said by adam9280:

Because someone keeps drilling holes and attaching stuff to them.
Might want to re-read the last line of the OP: Even though there is stuff from Direct TV and other services mounted to the side of the building, the doof installer chose the drain spout that usually gets replaced every 2 years on average at these properties for this part.

trythisfirst

@comcast.net
reply to Cthen
If you guys would take two seconds to look at the photo the installer used zip ties. Easily removable and replaceable to boot lol.

jbcg2

join:2001-09-15
Milwaukee, WI
reply to Cthen
Seems like even a DirecTV installer worth his salt should be equipped with a cordless hammer drill and a box of Tapcon (masonry) screws. Doesn't take more than a couple of minutes to make that kind of installation on brick, and the installation can be easily reversed with just a little clear silicone to fill the holes left behind.

I'll bet DirecTV rolls a lot of trucks to repair flimsy installs like this one. Of course, if they charge the customer for the repair, maybe this kind of installation is considered a profit center!

fauzt0
Premium
join:2001-04-07
New London, CT
reply to Cthen
maybe the installer did not want to be responsible for any damage. condo associations can be troublesome!
--
If you're gonna play hard, you gotta work hard!

CHPMustang
N X T1
Premium
join:2001-10-18
Richardson, TX
reply to Cthen
That certainly is not how MDU's are set up in our community! LOL
--
Got XM?

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to Cthen
That's a ridiculously poor job by an extremely lazy installer. I would be surprised if its properly grounded. Get Directv on the phone, and tell them to come back & install it properly. Really, nothing more need to be said.

CHPMustang
N X T1
Premium
join:2001-10-18
Richardson, TX
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
said by whizkid3:

That's a ridiculously poor job by an extremely lazy installer. I would be surprised if its properly grounded. Get Directv on the phone, and tell them to come back & install it properly. Really, nothing more need to be said.
My wife saw the pic of the downspout install and busted up!
--
Got XM?

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to whizkid3
said by whizkid3:

My thought too. Where's the lightning arestor? What's that pipe that goes into the wall for?
--
standard disclaimers apply.

netboy34
Premium
join:2001-08-29
Kennesaw, GA
Looks like the gas line into the building (basement with meters maybe?)

yolarry

join:2007-12-29
Creston, WV
reply to Cthen
only odd I see is the AC...

Why is it sideways? LOL