how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

BoomerSooner
Premium
join:2004-02-11
reply to Mele20

Re: False positive in Avast! or is it real?

Ahhh .. ok. Yes, I have that checked. I believe that only comes into play when there's a PROGRAM update though. Not after normal VPS definition file updates like the 091203 update was. I DO get prompted when there's an actual program update that was applied.

Thanks!
--
I'll take "Things Only I Would Know" for $10,000.

erkme73

join:2009-12-02
reply to Mele20

My system rebooted without any warning. I clicked "do nothing" for the first 4 warnings during memory scan, then it systematically shut down. On reboot it tried to do a dos-level scan erasing system files. All my options are set to "ask what to do".

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14

3 recommendations

reply to MarkAW

said by MarkAW:

Edit: avast is not to blame the user who allowed it to remove programs is to blame in my opinion.
I'd just like to say I don't agree with you. Avast sent out a bad update that flagged safe programs as unsafe programs on a rather massive level. The update went to Avast software that allows auto-updates, and allows auto-removal or auto-quarantine. A good share of this blame falls on Avast. This was not one of those quirky "is this one file infected or not" situations which people can handle with online file scanners or other means. This was affecting safe programs, including security programs and operating system files.
--
"I cannot teach him. The boy has no pants."

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine

I am so glad that all is well here.

The two computers which were screwed up are A-OK now.
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

AB
Premium
join:2006-04-04
Leesburg, VA
kudos:3

2 recommendations

reply to fatness

said by fatness:

said by MarkAW:

avast is not to blame the user who allowed it to remove programs is to blame in my opinion.
I'd just like to say I don't agree with you. Avast sent out a bad update that flagged safe programs as unsafe programs on a rather massive level. The update went to Avast software that allows auto-updates, and allows auto-removal or auto-quarantine. A good share of this blame falls on Avast. This was not one of those quirky "is this one file infected or not" situations which people can handle with online file scanners or other means. This was affecting safe programs, including security programs and operating system files.
I have to agree with that.
And let's not forget that the vast majority of people who use computers are not tekkies and don't spend their time hanging around tech forums.
They're people who do a little surfing, use their e-mail, and do a couple of other odds and ends with their machines.
They wouldn't know a .dll from an .exe or a .txt from a byob.

All they want from Avast or any other A/V is to help protect them. They trust that the program is doing just that, and have no reason to doubt the program is doing that when it tells them a particular file is malware and needs to be dealt with.

Not much different from when an auto mechanic says you need a new flimbustrator for your oil elicitor, and that will be fifteen hundred bucks thank you (cash, checks, and credit cards accepted), and come back Tuesday to pick it up.

These are the people/programs that have been entrusted to take care of certain things, and if their recommendations are going to be ignored then there's not much point in having them as advisors or problem solvers to begin with.

dyanne1020

join:2009-12-03
West Newton, PA
reply to AB

Thanks again. I just needed a little extra 'boost' to give me the nerve to try a reboot. I did, and it worked.

I'm not so sure about all of the programs yet, but at least my OS isn't fubared.

I sure hope everyone else gets theirs working as well.

Whatta nightmare this has been!

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by dyanne1020:

Whatta nightmare this has been!
I hear that.

But the silver lining of this cloud is that you're now a member of DSLR.

If you play your cards right, you may even be given a key to the executive member washroom in a year or two.

julieinwv

Clarksburg, WV

1 recommendation

reply to onDvine

Thanks everyone (especially AB) for being here last night for my near meltdown. I was glad to find this forum. It sure helps when you find out you're not alone! I'm very fortunate in that I was able to put my files in the Chest then shut it off completely.. then to restore them (after finding out that it does, indeed, leave a copy of the file in the Chest - which is weird, I think).

What are the chances this will happen again anytime soon? Probably not very likely. Avast will be being extra careful as I'm sure they've lost plenty of users/customers. I'm sticking w/ them.

Thanks, again!

peggypwr1

join:2003-10-06
Fremont, CA
reply to onDvine

Have they issued a fix yet?

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

said by peggypwr1:

Have they issued a fix yet?
I've updated and I'm still getting warnings
Expand your moderator at work

dyanne1020

West Newton, PA
reply to AB

Yes, I'm glad that I finally joined. Misery LOVES company.

I've been a lurker for sometime, just readin' about other problems that I've had. Many here seem to be very knowledgeable.

I'll probably be back to lurking in the "how do I transfer files from my old pc to my new one" or "how can I set up security on my modem/router" area now. lol

Oh that reminds me...I have Avast on the new laptop, but I haven't used it in a few days. When I turn it on, should I just do the update like I did here?

AB
Premium
Leesburg, VA

said by dyanne1020:

...I have Avast on the new laptop, but I haven't used it in a few days. When I turn it on, should I just do the update like I did here?
I don't see why not.
Having been powered down, it wouldn't have been affected by the buggy definitions file, and any definition file it now adds will be a newer, non-buggy release.

dragonfly888

join:2009-12-02
reply to SparkChaser

I'm happily using Avira Antivir since last night. It was a simple "flip" (download Avira, uninstall Avast, install Avira) to the new program. I hope to be able to trust Avast again in the near future... but I am not holding my breath.

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-20

3 recommendations

said by dragonfly888:

I hope to be able to trust Avast again in the near future... but I am not holding my breath.
I don't understand comments like this. You can trust Avast right now with the same confidence that you had before this issue happened. It was a rare virus definition issue......one that I have never seen in all the years of using Avast. Matter of fact, you can probably trust Avast even more now because the creators are going to be watching every little move they make.

pog4
Premium
join:2004-06-03
Kihei, HI

said by Keizer:

Matter of fact, you can probably trust Avast even more now because the creators are going to be watching every little move they make.
LOL! I was about to say something similar.

The folks at Avast are (hopefully) being hyper-vigilant about things right now. Perhaps not quite the case with Avira or AVG.

...or, in a metaphysical sense, it's just going to be some other AV's turn for a major screw up.

By hopping around from vendor to vendor, there's a risk of basically hitting every red light, so to speak.
--
My Site

join:2009-09-25
Houston, TX
reply to Anon

said by Mele20:

Geez...I am getting so fed up with ALL AV programs. ...Avira 10 beta has no Ignore button either but that is early beta and if we testers have any influence it will be readded.
Concur ! I just had a customer report his Avira kept finding and blocking a file ( just one temp file ). Turns out the machine was crawling with a variety of malware. MBAM removed 4 gruesome looking nasties, trojans etc ( over 70 infected items including many registry entries ). A final pass with Kaspersky utility found and cured another virus. My conclusion is that I had better get the paid version of MBAM and ditch everything else.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY

2 recommendations

reply to Anon

said by Mele20:

..... and don't go to strange sites.

Define "strange sites".

And how do you know it's "strange" if you've never been there? Or are we all supposed only go to computer and security sites like you apparently do?
--
You can chain my body to the earth, but still my spirit flies!

KEEP THE GOVERNMENT OUT OF HEALTHCARE

14,465 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
kudos:2
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to onDvine

I was forced to re-format....However, afterwards I loaded Avast again and I assume it is fixed, as it is behaving fine. Re-formatting is fun for me.....It's like having a new relationship. You have to work at it and hope that it works....lol
--
UCLA Only On A Clear Day-Class of '81

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

said by lordpuffer:

I was forced to re-format....However, afterwards I loaded Avast again and I assume it is fixed, as it is behaving fine. Re-formatting is fun for me.....It's like having a new relationship. You have to work at it and hope that it works....lol
I'm glad everything is working fine again for you.

However, I can't help but think of the many thousand's of users who don't even know what "re-format" means, let alone how to go about doing it and re-installing all of their programs (many of which probably came with their original configuration, on their "Best Buy" computer the salesman talked them into buying..along with the extended warranty package, of course).

I'm afraid many won't even know where to begin, when it comes to getting everything back to "normal".
I'll bet the "Geek Squad" is making a TON of money today! (In fact, I passed one of their vans this morning...first time I've ever even seen one in my rural neck of the woods).

I didn't happen to catch the news last night on tv, but this fiasco should have been (or may have been), a headline.
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM

I agree....For the average user, this is a costly pain. For me, it's just a nuisance and a reason to freshly install an OS.
--
UCLA Only On A Clear Day-Class of '81

sobergeorge
Premium
join:2003-01-09
Forest Hills, NY
reply to onDvine

After checking yesterday making sure that everything seemed "was" stable on my computer. This morning I removed Avast from my XP laptop. Then went back to the Avast website and got a new copy. Installed and then did a boot scan. No sirens went off. YAY!!!! Turned off auto update Finished the installation, put my key # in and got the new update from today. So far no problems

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

1 edit

said by sobergeorge:

This morning I removed Avast from my XP laptop. Then went back to the Avast website and got a new copy. Installed
Just curious why you would do that? This wasn't a program issue, it was a virus database issue that was resolved with a new virus database.

Imagine the thousands of users that actually were away from their PC during the short time the bad database was out there in cyberspace. They would later turn their PC on, it would update with the fixed virus database, and they would be none the wiser.

sobergeorge
Premium
join:2003-01-09
Forest Hills, NY

Just curious why you would do that? This wasn't a program issue, it was a virus database issue that was resolved with a new virus database.

I was still getting "False Positives" on my laptop every so often yesterday. Even after getting the new update. So I went to the Avast User Forum and checked through a lot of the different threads and read where a few people who were still getting "False Positives" Deleted the program and installed a Fresh copy.
So I took the chance. And so far I'm a happy camper.

FiOS Dan
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Redondo Beach, CA
reply to Keizer

said by Keizer:

Imagine the thousands of users that actually were away from their PC during the short time the bad database was out there in cyberspace. They would later turn their PC on, it would update with the fixed virus database, and they would be none the wiser.
That would be me. Just got back from a business trip during which I turned off the home rigs and my traveling companion netbook is running Avira. Now all is well at home with the Avast ones and I was spared the angst experienced by so many...except that I can certainly relate to it.
--
Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway.

Keizer
I'M Your Huckleberry
Premium,MVM

said by FiOS Dan:

said by Keizer:

That would be me. Just got back from a business trip during which I turned off the home rigs and my traveling companion netbook is running Avira. Now all is well at home with the Avast ones and I was spared the angst experienced by so many...except that I can certainly relate to it.
Glad ya missed the fun!! I was curious as to why the Avast team didn't immediately roll out the old/previous virus database as soon as they caught on? Although it would have been outdated, it probably would have save many people the grief. I may be asking this out of ignorance, as I have no clue what their process is when updating their virus database.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
reply to onDvine

Not sure if this happened to others but I was still getting worm triggers after the fix. It turns out that when I did a restore from the chest there was old stuff in it and got moved back to the drive. I was infecting myself, it would seem.