nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
join:2000-11-28
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

CT: Channel 401 not broadcasting in wide screen

Why is channel 401 not broadcasting in 16:9? I also see lots of digital noise at the top of the screen.

All the other major networks are broadcast in wide format...

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
join:2001-03-30
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

Is it every thing? Commercials too?

I noticed up here, that one channel showed a show in HD, and the other channel, which has HD content, was showing it in SD. I found it weird that a show taped in HD and on an HD network was showing in SD.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

1 edit

nelamvr6

Premium Member

said by tenpin784:

Is it every thing? Commercials too?

I noticed up here, that one channel showed a show in HD, and the other channel, which has HD content, was showing it in SD. I found it weird that a show taped in HD and on an HD network was showing in SD.
Right now it seems to be everything, though I wasn't watching it for hours at a time.

i recorded Glee, it recorded in 4:3. It didn't look like SD though.
nelamvr6

nelamvr6

Premium Member

So far, every show I've checked is in 4:3 with side panels.

Is this because that's the way Metrocast receives it, or because that's the way Metrocast sends it?

Will this change? Is it temporary or are we stuck?

I seem to remember Fringe being in wide screen format before, was I hallucinating?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

Is it an HD station? I am not familiar with CTs lineup.

Chances are, if it is, then it would be the broadcaster, as we pretty much take it right from them and send the signal out on the plant. So if they for some reason swap to 4:3 then we push it out 4:3.

If it is supposed to be HD, are your other HD stations working fine?

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

said by tenpin784:

Is it an HD station? I am not familiar with CTs lineup.

Chances are, if it is, then it would be the broadcaster, as we pretty much take it right from them and send the signal out on the plant. So if they for some reason swap to 4:3 then we push it out 4:3.

If it is supposed to be HD, are your other HD stations working fine?
Yes, it's Fox HD. All the other HD stations work just fine.

I did notice one thing, my Tivo reports it as 720p and the other HD stations are reported as 1080i.

odog
Minister of internet doohickies
Premium Member
join:2001-08-05
Atlanta, GA

odog

Premium Member

FOX and ABC/ESPN both broadcast in 720p, CBS/NBC broadcast in 1080i. It sounds like the broadcast was diddling with stuff, most local HD content is received and delivered with minimal processing.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

said by odog:

FOX and ABC/ESPN both broadcast in 720p, CBS/NBC broadcast in 1080i. It sounds like the broadcast was diddling with stuff, most local HD content is received and delivered with minimal processing.
ODog! How's Hotlanta?

I'm just wondering if they're even aware of the situation, or if it will ever go back to 16:9...
kkWaterford
join:2006-09-27
Waterford, CT

kkWaterford to nelamvr6

to nelamvr6
Not to hijack nelamvr6's thread, but if I have a QAM/HD capable TV hooked directly up (no box) and do a scan, it should find channels like 401, right?

Is 401 (402, 403, etc) a standard cable channel that TV's can deal with in the modern digital world in which we live?

tenpin784
I Went To The Dark Side?
Brierfield, AL

tenpin784

You wouldn't see it as 401, 402....you would see the PSIP information from the broadcasters, which is usually the channel # of the broadcaster. Example, up here, we get FOX25 from Boston, so with PSIP and clear QAM, we would see the channel as 25.1

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

odog to nelamvr6

Premium Member

to nelamvr6
Atlanta is actually pretty badass, well besides the traffic.. that definitely sucks.

I usually look on AVSforum to see if the OTA people are complaining when Comcast has issues here in the ATL.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

1 edit

nelamvr6

Premium Member

said by odog:

Atlanta is actually pretty badass, well besides the traffic.. that definitely sucks.

I usually look on AVSforum to see if the OTA people are complaining when Comcast has issues here in the ATL.
I found one guy in Hartford complaining of the same thing. He's also saying he heard that Fox is dropping HD. Why on earth would Fox drop HD?

odog
Premium Member
Atlanta, GA

odog

Premium Member

I doubt they would drop it, they may shut it off for maintenance. But shut it down permanently, that doesn't sound right.

ultatryon1
@metrocast.net

ultatryon1 to nelamvr6

Anon

to nelamvr6
I just got off the phone with someone from WTIC. Their engineering group is in the process of relocating their encoder equipment from one facility to another. They disconnected the HD processing equipment on Monday, and moved it to the new location, where it has not been turned up yet.

The "Official" fire-up date is 12/12/2009, as that is the day that their Local news is set to launch their HD programming, but they expect to have it turned up sometime early next week. However, it could be as late as the 12th.

I did not ask about WTXX, but it appears as if they are in 4x3 as well at this present moment.

nelamvr6
High-End Headphoniac
Premium Member
New London, CT

nelamvr6

Premium Member

Thanks for the update! It's not an ideal situation, but at least now I know it's not just an outage or something wrong with my equipment.

It would have been better if they had let everyone know what's going on.

I imagine there will be a lot of people calling customer service right around kickoff tomorrow...