Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

KC7

join:2006-11-08
Ottawa, ON
reply to jfmezei

Re: Equal speeds ruling

Politically, I don't think the government expected to see all the comments; both from Wind and from Equal Speed.

Wind is a no brainer; Conserative Anti-Business??? It's base will have a riot! Equal Speed is hard to under stand, but all the letter writing that all Canadians did really made a difference. IMHO.

All those angry Canadians made those issues in to hot potatos and the Conservatives just can't open another front for the liberals/NDP/Bloc. So they bounce it back to CRTC. If in doubt have an inquiry.

Have a Great Christmas Guys, More letter writing in the New Year... Back to work....

KC

jfmezei
Premium
join:2007-01-03
Pointe-Claire, QC
kudos:23
Interesting that CBC covered the Globalive decision, but not the equal speeds one.

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-21
kudos:3
reply to JGROCKY
But in the meantime, ILEC can benefit another year of new subscribers to their adsl2 package and create a gap between wholesale and ILEC.

While i agree that 2009-261 is exploring many avenues, how long that scenario is going to happen ? Could Bell/Telus just reescalate the ruling of sept 1 2010 ? Honestly....
--
Electronic Box Inc.

JGROCKY
Premium
join:2005-05-19
Chatham, ON
That part is also a concern of mine too... the delay tactics are definitely brutal!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4

1 edit
reply to jfmezei
In CRTC 2008-117 - pc 2009-2007 they wrote on the last page:

"d) the impact of these wholesale requirements unduly impairs the ability of incumbent telephone companies to offer new converged services, such as Internet Protocol television (IPTV)."

Gotta like the bias in that statement. Poor ILEC's - they're the only ones who are being viewed as able to offer IPTV - not the independent ISP's as well. Talk about prejudicing the next round!!

Looks like CAIP members will be permanently relegated to 5Mbps copper (until all the old infrastructure breaks). It's the same rationale that has Bell to still using Strowger switches in remote areas so they can continue to collect the $2.80 Touch Tone introduction recovery fee 30 years after bringing touch tone to the market.

KC7

Ottawa, ON
reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

Interesting that CBC covered the Globalive decision, but not the equal speeds one.
Wind got a Press Release; and like I said; The Conservative base will have a riot if the government is seen as anti business...

That's why the next fight would have to be framed as a monopoly (duolopy sp?) vs. indie small business.

Cyborg994

join:2005-04-18
Montreal, QC
reply to JGROCKY
R0CKY and diskace, feel free NOT to answer if it's confidential, but have you noticed a slowdown of growth lately, with all the incertanities around UBB, and the fact that Bell can offer higher speeds...

Lot's of people realize all that is wrong with the Bell services, but speed definately is a buying factor...

- Cyb

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON
We've for sure been affected by all of this stupidity yes.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
reply to Cyborg994
With throttling, and soon UBB, and now stuck on ancient speeds, indepedents will lose any competitive advantage over Sympatico.

What is left are people like me who need fixed ip, no blocked ports and ability to run servers. We can't go over to Sympatico.

eh wut

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to jfmezei
Click for full size
downloadcrtc-2008-11···2007.pdf 189,290 bytes
Equal Speed ruling
I'm not sure what to make of this. Too many "where as blah blah blah". Am I correct in saying this whole thing is shoved back to the CRTC for another round to be completed only around September 2010? Another year?

So no equal speed and not even a decision for another year?

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
Premium,VIP
exactly

yes it definitely affect sales
--
Electronic Box Inc.

shrug

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to jfmezei
Well.. since all this is going south, I see the only way for the small ISP to compete with tech-savvy people is cost versus Bell's speed.

2 variables that affect what the small ISP charge is a) Bandrate B) that 20-24$/month that goes to bell.

If the smaller ISP's attack those costs at the CRTC to get them lowered and brought upto date (especially bandrate), in order to drop their cost to the subscriber, then maybe they may lure more based on cost & mlppp.

Not to do so makes MLPPP (the only competitive speed they have) more expensive than videotron and Bell.

shrug

Take Control

@mc.videotron.ca
reply to jfmezei
said by jfmezei:

With throttling, and soon UBB, and now stuck on ancient speeds, indepedents will lose any competitive advantage over Sympatico.

What is left are people like me who need fixed ip, no blocked ports and ability to run servers. We can't go over to Sympatico.
Thats the plan stan.

Unblocked port (5$ processing fee per port)
Run a server ftp/Mail/HTTP (10$ per server type/month)
DSLreports (2$/month)
Create a blog-RCMP clearance required with an internet tracking ID (5$/month)

Get used to it....

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
Note that the other dossier which was dealt with by Clement is the Ethernet access one. MTS had gone to Clement to get him to overtiurn the CRTC decision 2008-118.

2008-118 was rendered Dec 11 2008. It was the result of an R&V request by MTS to change 2008-17. 2008-17 had to do with declaring Ethernet services essential-conditional, which the CRTC refused.

2008-17 is at: »www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2008/···8-17.htm It is a long read.

The petition is outright refused. So it is a big loss for MTS.

Looks like a lot hinges on the ADSL-CO thing.

JGROCKY
Premium
Chatham, ON
The essential request was pretty much a pipe dream at this point so the expectation wasn't all that big.

With time this is likely to change however which is why the ADSL-CO case is becoming more and more important.

JunjiHiroma
Live Free Or Die

join:2008-03-18
reply to eh wut
said by eh wut :

I'm not sure what to make of this. Too many "where as blah blah blah". Am I correct in saying this whole thing is shoved back to the CRTC for another round to be completed only around September 2010? Another year?

So no equal speed and not even a decision for another year?
It seems simular to the NWO's tatic of waiting till the ppl are too poor to fight in 2012.It seems bell wants to do the same thing with internet... NWO + Bell = Big bunch of hosers.

The Ruling was inclusive I guess,back to the drawing board it seems.This ALL is more ammo to prove the CRTC needs to be cleaned out and put some new faces in the CRTC who are NOT apart of business or companies (That means bell also)

MaynardKrebs
Premium
said by JunjiHiroma:

The Ruling was inclusive I guess,back to the drawing board it seems.This ALL is more ammo to prove the CRTC needs to be cleaned out and put some new faces in the CRTC who are NOT apart of business or companies (That means bell also)
otty posted this link a few months ago - it's worth reading again

»www.srtv.on.ca/mf.html

Maybe get the Federal Court to impeach the CRTC commissioners on the grounds of conflict of interest and "conduct unbecoming".

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
The decisions today are made by politicians, not by the CRTC. Politicians are driven by considerations that do not include logic.

Bell must have felt rather strongly about this issue to convince the government to not make a decision that would foster competition.

When Bell sent the petition, they made a press release bragging about it. I wonder if they will do the same today. And how soon will Bell unlock the work in Ottawa to enable remotes.

Remember that this decision also affects GAS ens user access to remotes. So those who have lousy ADSL stats will not have access to remotes.

KC7

Ottawa, ON

1 edit
reply to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

[otty posted this link a few months ago - it's worth reading again

»www.srtv.on.ca/mf.html

Maybe get the Federal Court to impeach the CRTC commissioners on the grounds of conflict of interest and "conduct unbecoming".
WoW, Who is this guy!? I would like to shake his hand. (But not buy him lunch)
Good Honest men should be promoted to the benches.
Sadly, when old CRTC commissioners retire; they get job with the entrenched telco/cableco

Heaven or Hell, take your pick....

MaynardKrebs
Premium
said by KC7:

said by MaynardKrebs:

[otty posted this link a few months ago - it's worth reading again

»www.srtv.on.ca/mf.html

WoW, Who is this guy!? I would like to shake his hand. (But not buy him lunch)
There should be 15 like him as Commissioners.

diskace
Electronic Box CEO
Premium,VIP
Topo sur la situation sur notre blog: »www.electronicbox.net/blog/gen/i···net.html
--
Electronic Box Inc.

anonsicles

@teksavvy.com
reply to jfmezei
This equal speeds ruling is bs. I'm celebrating all day because of the Wind victory, but then I read this and go wtf? Its like government only has two modes, either accept every ruling or overturn every ruling.

As for James Stuart Langford, anyone got a history of his voting tendencies? He sounds amazing from that article, but who knows if his telecom virginity means anything at the end of the day.

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC
Langford is gone. Yes, it would be very nice to lunch with him and learn from him, it appears that he has made himself invisible so he can lead a normal life.

What we need is RALPH DONCASTER !

Yes, RALPH DONCASTER !

As long as RALPH DONCASTER was in business, Bell kept matching the speeds and made GAS affordable. But with RALPH DONCASTER gone, Bell stopped matching speeds and started to screw with GAS.

Bell knew that RALPH wouldn't let them lie to the CRTC. Bell was scared shitless of RALPH. With RALPH out of the picture, Bell gets away with all the lies it wants.

If RALPH were a commissioner, imagine the grilling Bell would get at every public hearing... The ratings for the CRTC hearings would go through the roof.

CanerisErik
Caneris
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-03
Toronto, ON
kudos:2
Damn right!

I'm trying to recall when the 3M went to 5M...was he still around? That was in 2006 or 2007?
--
Erik - Caneris Inc.

XNemesis

join:2002-11-16
Kitchener, ON
reply to jfmezei
-----clueless

Who was Ralph Doncaster...did he run Istop?

jfmezei
Premium
Pointe-Claire, QC

1 edit
Upgrades to 5mbps started in fall of 2006.

Yes, Ralph was the owner of Istop. Very colourful person, and he didn't tolerate bullshit.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
reply to XNemesis
Yeah, he ran iStop. He was... a character. Gabe can tell you about him, he worked for Ralph

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
"It's about time that MTS stop treating us as their [capital expenditure] wing," he said. "It's time to stop playing the subsidy card and the populist card and get down to business."

»www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009···mts.html
You know, as much as I might get scolded for this, they ain't wrong....

You use a distribution network to carry your customers, you also go with the disadvantages...

mlerner
Premium
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON
kudos:5
And if those disadvantages were realistic then yes. The big issue I see is while this is about shifting control to a neutral position so Bell cannot have indepdant control over their wholesale business, some are short minded claiming it's time to face up to what Bell is doing and live with it, if Bell continues to get approval with DPI, UBB and beyond that it will kill wholesale and simply diminish the market. No one wins then, not even Bell. It will only push us to the great firewall of Canada. Additionally, MTS has its own network in Manitoba and Allstream division handles their own wholesale network for other provinces so there is no incentive for them as an individual.

Farchord
Lost somewhere.

join:2004-08-28
Shawinigan, QC
kudos:1
said by mlerner:

And if those disadvantages were realistic then yes. The big issue I see is while this is about shifting control to a neutral position so Bell cannot have indepdant control over their wholesale business, some are short minded claiming it's time to face up to what Bell is doing and live with it, if Bell continues to get approval with DPI, UBB and beyond that it will kill wholesale and simply diminish the market. No one wins then, not even Bell. It will only push us to the great firewall of Canada. Additionally, MTS has its own network in Manitoba and Allstream division handles their own wholesale network for other provinces so there is no incentive for them as an individual.
Yeah but dude, we're on their turf, what do you think...?