juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar

Premium Member

I don't like it

Would it also be ok for Time Warner to also own CBS?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by juilinsandar:

Would it also be ok for Time Warner to also own CBS?
Ummmm.. Time Warner owned Time Warner... what's the difference? The world never came to an end back then did it?

This B.S. of "the world will come to an end" crowd simply needs to get a hobby and get beyond their issues.. I'm sure there are medications to help with their problems..

Besides.. isn't "TV as we know it dead" according this this crowd? ... isn't the internet the new place and source for everything video, news, and entertainment? (which, since they say it is, I still don't see why they expect the internet connection price to keep DROPPING when it continues to raise in value..)

So yes.. would it also be of for TWC to own CBS? Sure.

Besides, NBC TV Network is pretty much always in the bottom of the ratings anyway.. who really cares...
Big Dawg 23
join:2002-03-27
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23

Take a look at the track record of Comcast and its dealing with other cable operators and satelite providers. As an example it has not been 3 months since Versus was pulled from Directv.

Also look at the control of the signal for Comcast Sports Philly. They are not even negotiatie the rights to channel to any one. Many Philly fans loose out on Hockey and Baseball because of this poor business plan.

Other providers own channels but dont play hardball to zero negotiation like Comcast does. Have you seen Directv withold its signal to Starz?? Nope. Directv now owns a good portion of many Fox Sports affiliates and I dont see that change. How would it go if they pull the signal to Comcast. That doesnt appear to be there business plan.

In the end they need to make it not possible for Providers to own channels. Another example of that is MSG and MSG+. Currently no one outside the NY area can view Hockey in HD because of the Rangers Spat with the NHL. And the Rangers are owned by who.... Cablevision. This no HD signal also effects the Devils, Sabres and Islanders.

Comcast continues to gouge people for no reason. They will do anything to stop the defect of consumers to Satelite, FIOS and AT&T UVerse
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

1 edit

fiberguy2

Premium Member

I think you need to do a little more research and you will find that many of your observations aren't quite as pleasant as you seem to think they are.

They've ALL done it at one time or another.. be it they also own a broadcasting delivery system or not..

But, to answer your question, and the information is easily out there for you to find, MSOs of ALL kinds out there DO in fact hardball their services.. the consumer, which you are simply one, doesn't see everything that goes on in these negotiations.. you only see the ugly ones.

And for the record, DirecTv participated, right along, with a few networks who hard-balled cable operators on their retrans agreements, even allowing advertised subsidies for cable subscribers to move away from cable to DirecTv as a tool to get cable operators to pay more for those networks... They ALL do it.. sorry!

myosh
join:2001-05-03
Cupertino, CA

myosh to Big Dawg 23

to Big Dawg 23
This has also happened in Northern California. Back in April the Oakland A's were moved from Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area (CSN-BA) to Comcast Sportsnet California (CSN-CA) but Comcast Sportsnet withheld the A's broadcasts until Dish "updated" their deal to carry the channel. At first Dish resisted but when their subs complained and Comcast started rolling out their "Hey wanna watch the A's? Then switch to Comcast" campaign, Dish caved in.

There were concerns that the CSN would pull the same stunt with the San Jose Sharks moving to CSN-CA but it looks that didn't happen although some of the smaller cable systems (Charter Communications for one) that carry CSN-BA can't/won't pick-up CSN-CA.
Big Dawg 23
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
You missed my point. All the other companies come to an agreement. Comcast does not. They hold the channel so it forces people to there system. So you may want to do research as that information is out there.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

said by Big Dawg 23:

You missed my point. All the other companies come to an agreement. Comcast does not. They hold the channel so it forces people to there system. So you may want to do research as that information is out there.
I didn't miss the point, as you said.. I gave you one example already... I believe it was WE or Lifetime, one of those two networks.. they did NOT come to an agreement.. Mediacom lost the signal while DirecTV was receiving benefit from the network holding MediaCom customers hostage.. they used a scroll on TV telling MC customers that they were going to loose Lifetime.. that they could call DirecTV for free installation...

Um.. no agreement was made there. MC didn't want such a rise in fees or what ever their dispute was.. the "agreement" they 'settled on" was to accept what the network wanted so they didn't bleed more customers...

So, sorry.. I didn't miss the point.

I've seen, over the years, PLENTY of these so called "coming to agreements" you speak of.. it's gotten worse with competition as they simply play the consumer against each other..

... oh, and how fair is the NFL and DirecTv deal? I RARELY ever hear people bitch about that train-wreck.. there is NO reason why there should be an exclusive deal there.. if people believe it should be, then those who also believe cable can't have exclusive apartment building agreements need to re-think their positions as well..

This kinda stuff happens ALL the time.. its not exclusive to the small examples people are trying to make here..

People need to think long and hard before they, themselves, cherry pick their own fights.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32 to Big Dawg 23

Premium Member

to Big Dawg 23
quote:
As an example it has not been 3 months since Versus was pulled from Directv.
Invalid point. Versus is still on Dish Network, Verizon, AT&T and over builders that Comcast competes with directly in some areas like RCN and WOW. Just because DirecTV is being cheap means nothing in the grand scheme of things.
quote:
Also look at the control of the signal for Comcast Sports Philly. They are not even negotiatie the rights to channel to any one. Many Philly fans loose out on Hockey and Baseball because of this poor business plan.
How is this a poor business plan? If you own a pizzeria and you create a secrete sauce that is an instant hit, are you supposed to sell that recipe to the competition? This is a great business plan!

And FYI, Verizon Fios carries Comcast Sports Net Philly. Whihc was pretty stupid for them to allow.
quote:
Have you seen Directv withold its signal to Starz??
Liberty only owns 48% of the DirecTV Group. Considering DirecTV is the red headed stepchild no one wants, I wouldn't equate Starz to DirecTV quite yet. AT&T will probably end up owning it in a few years, for a few years then sell it off.
quote:
now owns a good portion of many Fox Sports affiliates and I dont see that change.
Three out of about twenty does not equal 'good portion' in my book.

You conveniently forgot to mention DirecTV carries Comcast Sports Net California, Comcast Sports Net New England, Comcast Sports Net Mid Atlantic, Comcast Sports Net Chicago and SportsNet New York, along with E!, Style, Golf Channel, G4 and TV One.
quote:
Currently no one outside the NY area can view Hockey in HD because of the Rangers Spat with the NHL. And the Rangers are owned by who.... Cablevision. This no HD signal also effects the Devils, Sabres and Islanders.
If Cablevision does not want to provide the competition with HD feeds that's their decision. Companies should be able to refuse service to anyone, including the competition
quote:
Comcast continues to gouge people for no reason. They will do anything to stop the defect of consumers to Satelite, FIOS and AT&T UVerse
And if you were CEO of Comcast, wouldn't you do the same thing? Why would you want to make things easier for your competition? Philadelphia has the lowest satellite penetration in the country, if you can get a leg up on your competition, you better damn well take full advantage of it. This isn't a group of preschoolers getting together to play house, this is real life business, and I'm guessing if you ever owned your owned business you'd be bankrupt before you even got off the ground. Comcast is a $35 BILLION dollar operation for a reason.

Bill Neilson
Premium Member
join:2009-07-08
Alexandria, VA

1 edit

Bill Neilson to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2 See Profileoh, and how fair is the NFL and DirecTv deal? I RARELY ever hear people bitch about that train-wreck
What?

I am not sure I have seen something SO COMPLAINED about then that deal when it comes to DirecTV, Comcast, or anyone

If you aren't seeing it bitched about, it's because you are either not paying attention or just pretending it doesn't exist
Big Dawg 23
Northfield, MN

Big Dawg 23 to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
There is a lot of complaining over Directv and NFL Sunday Ticket. If a company ponies up the money why does it matter? Business 101... exclusivity gets you the cost you best desire. Saturation will lower your margins. NFL is stupid to move it off of Directv unless they do a dual agreement with another company.

With Directv they are assured of all SD and HD being delivered. That is not going to happen with Cable. Just look at MLBEI or NHLCI. They limit the HD coverage. NFL is all about HD.
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member

fiberguy2

Premium Member

Umm... first off, NFL and DirecTicket is HARDLY complained about here in comparison as everything else.. I'm not stupid - by far.

Second, if a company ponies up the money, why does it matter? AWESOME!! Then BACK THE F' OFF the apartment exclusive contracts then.. becuase Cable ponied up the money and purchased their way into a contract with the building owners by spending thousands upon thousands of money to wire the buildings for an exclusive agreement for X amount of years...

See how this all works??

You guys like to have your cake, and eat it too, when it's convenient for your agenda..

Sorry.. you take it all, or leave it all. THAT is how it works.

You're also saying "that is not going to happen with cable".. well, you should change professions and get your pretty clothes and scarves and crystal ball out and start telling people's futures too.. in other words, you have No idea until and unless it happens.. and saying "they can't do something because they MIGHT do something we don't like (or in your case, what I don't like) isn't an acceptable answer.. so you either set rules NOW or you let the deals happen.. the AMERICAN way is capitalism and this is part of it.. if when something happens and we as people don't like it, we work to change and regulate it.. that's how it works... otherwise, you have communism.. screw that!

You, like everyone else, have to give things a chance to fail on their own first.. otherwise, you get more bailouts and other BS stuff.. THIS is how our country works.. like it or not.. and if you don't.. then leave. Stop pissing all over everything becuase of your own ideals.