dslreports logo

All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
« Goodbye Hulu........
This is a sub-selection from 1 step closer...
Lazlow
join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Lazlow to openbox9

to openbox9

Re: 1 step closer...

The major reason for metered/capped internet(for the big players) is to protect their video product(cable tv). Now that CC has NBC they have even more to protect and the power to protect (NBC owns a big chunk of Hulu).
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

But, there's no doubt that the traditional means of content distribution is changing. Comcast has already made a couple of halfhearted attempts into online distribution to test the waters. With a growing content lineup, it will be in Comcast's best interest to expand their reach to new subscribers. Until the FCC lifts their idiotic rule on cable subscriber ownership, Comcast will need to expand with new distribution mechanisms, i.e. the internet. You need to worry about other internet providers, not Comcast IMO.
Lazlow
join:2006-08-07
Saint Louis, MO

Lazlow

While I agree the traditional means are changing, the cable companies are doing everything they can to prevent this. Why do you think their efforts were halfhearted(your term)? It was done this way as a PR stunt. They can say "we tried that" and make it look "good". This is how most of the communications industry handles things. Just look at the A+ project (yesterdays headlines). Boy that title sounds good (teach the children, protect the children, etc) but when one digs into the meat of the matter one discovers that it is all fluff.
openbox9
Premium Member
join:2004-01-26

openbox9

Premium Member

said by Lazlow:

While I agree the traditional means are changing, the cable companies are doing everything they can to prevent this.
Of course they do. It's a scary new world. Many crusty old board members are scared of change and don't understand the Internet and how it can be leveraged for new, exciting, and profitable products. The transition will happen eventually....even if pirating consumers drag the content owners/distributors forward.
« Goodbye Hulu........
This is a sub-selection from 1 step closer...