uniqs
share rss forum feed

wsudelt
Premium
join:2002-12-03
New Canaan, CT

[Optimum Voice] OV Phone Recommendation w/ Voice Mail LED

Hi All,

Just dropped AT&T for OV last week and looking for recommendations for phones w/voicemail LED/indicators. All but one of my phones currently are Panasonic DECT 6 expandable, including a base station with answering machine. While I turned off the answering machine, unless I pick up the handset and listen to the dial tone, I have know way of knowing if I have voicemail (web access and text/email notification aside). I have an older Panasonic 2.4ghz standalone that has an voicemail LED indicator on it, seems to work fine with OV (not answering machine on this unit, just the voicemail LED/indicator that flashes when I have OV voicemail). Any newer (preferably Panasonic) phones with this feature less an answering machine? I poked around a bit but didn't find much, esp. with Panasonic.

Thanks!

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

My Uniden 2-line cordless (Model # 8866) works well with the OOL VM indicator. It's not a Panny tho.

Stu Pidaso

join:2006-10-12
Greenwood, IN
kudos:2
reply to wsudelt

I use the text and email notify options. This way I know right away as soon as someone leaves a voice mail.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY

1 edit
reply to wsudelt

On your current Pany DECT with the answering machine, you should have an option on there somewhere for voice mail detection. It works by polling the line periodically after a call comes in for the stuttered tone.

Is it set on?

cablewizzard

join:2009-06-14
Hicksville, NY
kudos:1

said by RickNY:

On your current Pany DECT with the answering machine, you should have an option on there somewhere for voice mail detection. It works by polling the line periodically after a call comes in for the stuttered tone.

Is it set on?
The FCC limits active polling via going off-hook and listening for STD severely - they permit it *once* a few minutes after an UNANSWERED call, and once after hanging up. All modern systems use VMWI (Visual Message Waiting Indicator) signal, which is an in-band FSK transmission sent while the loop is on-hook. Very few phones are screwed up sufficiently to fail recognition of VMI, but I've run across one or the other.

See »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Message-wa···ndicator for a very brief and non-technical intro.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28

Every so often, the phone will miss the signal and either fail to light up, or not shut off once the new messages are cleared.

For the most part, however, it is pretty reliable.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3

said by limegrass69:

Every so often, the phone will miss the signal and either fail to light up, or not shut off once the new messages are cleared.

For the most part, however, it is pretty reliable.
Same with me and my Panasonic phone.

wsudelt
Premium
New Canaan, CT

Guys, thanks for the replies.

Hey Lex, which Panasonic phone are you using?

Thanks again.

Lex Luthor
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Hicksville, NY
kudos:3

said by wsudelt:

Guys, thanks for the replies.

Hey Lex, which Panasonic phone are you using?

Thanks again.
Actually, I have GE phones, not Panasonic. Just a low-end version that I got at Newegg.

wsudelt
Premium
New Canaan, CT
reply to wsudelt

As much as it pained me, I left Panasonic for Vtech...couldn't find a suitable Panasonic w/out answering machine, but with VM indicator light on base. So, opted for the Vtech LS6215-2, so far so good...VM indicator seems to work just fine with OV...sleek, good reception too.

SSidlov
Other Things On My Mind
Premium
join:2000-03-03
Pompton Lakes, NJ
reply to wsudelt

panasonic doesn't make any DECT phones' base station without a answering machine, but since they have less than 16 minutes on average, it's sort of a waste. It can be turned off so that you use OV's answering service anyway which has a much greater capacity and reachable by any computer on the web.

As mentioned elsewhere, there is a LED indication setting that needs to be turned on to show that there are messages at OV. Or you can have OV send you a SMS, message. You can program in the call back number and pass code into the phonebook.

I have a older Panasonic DECT 6 system, and I bought my mother one (that speaks the caller id), too.

Of course you can also have the OV system ring your cell phone where ever you are too either by actually forwarding it or with the ring everywhere feature. Forwarding it shows caller ID on the 2nd ring and FWD: on ATT Wireless services for me, but the 'ring everywhere' doesn't get the caller id until the 3rd ring when the ATT service picks up.

Of course you could ask for a invitation to Google Voice (takes a while to get invited) and get a Google number to forward your calls to, then GV can transcribe the voice messages and SMS them to your phone. That and custom caller announcement messages, and the block caller functions are the only thing that make it better than OV....
--
»www.Warpstock.org

sandman9r
Premium
join:2003-11-09
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Voice
·Optimum Online
reply to wsudelt

I use an AT&T 992. The voicemail indicator works exactly as it should. Here's an updated version of it:

»telephones.att.com/telephones_ui···nt=22486